Editing software

Uberduck

Editing tracks seems to be increasing popular as DJ's (Us!!) look to personalise and maximise the punch :blackeye: in their sets. Its not something that I have done as of yet but increasingly I find myself twiddling my thumbs whilst playing on my decks waiting for 'boring' parts of tracks to pass.

I think you have to be careful not to over-edit tracks as has been discussed with Jules and some of the recent compilations he's put out.

Anyway, to cut a long story short..... I have decided to have a bit of a fiddle with a few tracks but am a bit unsure as to which software to use? I know there are a few people on here that do edit tracks so I would be wise to harness this knowledge.

Any recommendations?

I did used to have the 'Cool Wave' program that I used to edit Jules' sets etc and this was reasonable (and free!!). I'm not sure if this would be any use for detailed editing though?

I use Goldwave - and i'd never change. It allows me to zoom right in and do complex edits very easily.

Its only costs about £26 quid, and its the muts nuts.

Goldwave v4 was better than the newer v5 though. Version 5 tried to get a bit too clever, and I found it to be more long-winded to do just a simple task.

NeroWave editor, which is bundled in the Nero package or Cool Edit (more recently Abobe Audition - I believe)...

Yep cool edit is now adobe audition. I use cool edit pro 2, sounds very similar to goldwave that briggsy talks about. Not sure about free ones. Think there is a program called audacity which is free wave editing software but im not sure how good it is.

You mainly need something thats allows you to zoom right in the the wave and place markers or cue points for precision editing.

Audacity is a bit rubbish - I find it fiddly and tiresome to use, and the buttons look like they were designed by Fisher-Price. Aza is correct in Nero Wave Editor bundled with Nero, quite a powerful tool in my opinion.

Audacity is a bit rubbish - I find it fiddly and tiresome to use, and the buttons look like they were designed by Fisher-Price. Aza is correct in Nero Wave Editor bundled with Nero, quite a powerful tool in my opinion.

I use this. Do you know if its possible to lay say some vocals over another track on this. Rather than it splitting the track and inserting the vocals? know what i mena? :mellow:

I use Audacity to record from the radio, cassette deck, cd player and record player and then convert to mp3 format so l can put stuff on my Iriver mp3 player or burn to CDR. I'm just getting use to it so don't really know much about it. However unlike you guys l don't do any editing or mixing. ;)

Archived