Broken Glasses

Ducky

Picked my glasses up earlier and the B****Y frame snapped!, managed to superglue together for the time being and went to Spec savers where i had to have an eye test first for £19.00, i then went downstairs to look at some new glasses where i was told you pay for the frames and get the lenses free, so thought £125 for the sort of frames i like not bad, but then i was told because of the thickness of my lenses they would have to be filed down to fit in most frames, therefor costing me between £100-£160 to be filed down dependant on the frames i choose. What a con, why should i pay £100-160 more than everyone else! has anyone else had this problem?

That sounds a bit unfair to me. Glasses aren't cheap and to have this extra "filing" must be a new one. They're onto a good money-bagging one there! I guess you have to think that it will be worth it, because there's no point paying less if your glasses look silly.

Picked my glasses up earlier and the B****Y frame snapped!, managed to superglue together for the time being and went to Spec savers where i had to have an eye test first for £19.00, i then went downstairs to look at some new glasses where i was told you pay for the frames and get the lenses free, so thought £125 for the sort of frames i like not bad, but then i was told because of the thickness of my lenses they would have to be filed down to fit in most frames, therefor costing me between £100-£160 to be filed down dependant on the frames i choose. What a con, why should i pay £100-160 more than everyone else! has anyone else had this problem?

Ducky, I have a similar problem. I am very long sighted and I have astigmatism which means my lenses are quite thick. Without the thinning process, I would have 'jam jar bottom' type lenses which are difficult/impossible to fit in a modern, designer frame. Places like Specsavers will often include free standard lenses however the thinning process is not part of a standard lens, hence why you're looking at £150 for lenses on top of the cost of the frame. It is worth spending a bit if you're wearing them on a daily basis but make sure you include your glasses on your insurance policy so if they're damaged, it won't cost you a fortune to get a new pair.

i had to have an eye test first for £19.00,

Come to Scotland for a free eye test and spend your savings on a ticket to The Arches ;)

I agree with you about the thick lenses. I choose to pay extra for slimmed down ones too. Unfortunately there's always a premium to pay for stuff like that.

I love my glasses, especially as they are super cool supra FCUK ones. Luckily, I don't have problems with the milk bottle effect, but I know my mum had to pay an arm and a leg and wait 5 weeks to have all the special lens jiggery pokery so it would fit well in a stylin' frame.

I had an assessment day with Specsavers yesterday for their graduate programme in Guernsey. If I get offered a position I will look into the pricing haha!

Archived