PlayStation to record digital TV

Aza

Click here to read more...

What do you think of this - I think it's a great move to take edge on the market again especially after Microsoft (MS) have slashed their prices of the 360 in Europe this time too :) The 360 still doesn't compete with the PS3 yet, but MS have another 'Elite' version lined up to be released soon.

Quick question because I am not sure how this works, but the PS3 is Blu-Ray and these discs have a capacity of 25Gb. HD DVD discs have a capacity of 15Gb. So how come Blu-Ray doesn't kick ass over the HD DVD's because of the extra 10Gb in space - surely the quality once be awesome here?

There are a lot of companies either gambing on supporting one of the media types to try promote the disc with companies like Fox and Dreamworks signing up to either formats. So for example, the Xbox 360 is HD DVD so am I right in [obviously] assuming that it cannot play Blu-Ray and vica versa for the PS3 (it can only play Blu-Ray and not HD DVD)?

not sure where you got those figures from but BD has a capacity of 50gb compared to 25gb capacity for HD DVD.

It's all down to the coding and software used by each camp. A normal hour and half film will sit quite comfortably on a 25gb disc, but BD obviously has the advantage of being able to hold more extras if that's your thing.

You are right Blu-ray cannot play HD-DVD and vice versa.

Now Paramount has climbed into bed with Toshiba/Microsoft, so all their films (except any films Spielberg has directed) will be HD DVD exclusive only.

As a PS3 owner, I'm looking forward to the tuner and Fox has revealed some quality films for the end of the year (Die Hard etc), so all isn't lost.

I back Blu-Ray personally - it makes sense for the future :)

Whichever format wins will be a while though - there is a lot of money being poured into each project on both sides...

that's the annoying thing. Now Paramount have gone HD-DVD only, it just drags out the format war. They were swaying towards Blu-Ray and have totally turned around now.

All it does is cost the consumer more.

not sure where you got those figures from but BD has a capacity of 50gb compared to 25gb capacity for HD DVD.

Hey mate - I've seen/heard from reading about a lot and that's where I got the figures from :)

Also check Wikipedia - I've just visited their page and here is what I have lifted...

Blu-ray Disc

Media type: High-density optical disc

Encoding: MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), and VC-1

Capacity: 25 GB (single layer), 50 GB (dual layer)

Read mechanism: 1x@36 Mbit/s & 2x@72 Mbit/s

HD DVD

Encoding: VC-1, H.264, and MPEG-2

Capacity: 15 GB (single layer), 30 GB (dual layer) and 45 GB (triple layer)

Hey mate - I've seen/heard from reading about a lot and that's where I got the figures from :)

Also check Wikipedia - I've just visited their page and here is what I have lifted...

Blu-ray Disc

Encoding: MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), and VC-1

Capacity: 25 GB (single layer), 50 GB (dual layer)

Read mechanism: 1x@36 Mbit/s & 2x@72 Mbit/s

HD DVD

Encoding: VC-1, H.264, and MPEG-2

Capacity: 15 GB (single layer), 30 GB (dual layer) and 45 GB (triple layer)

I was quoting the dual layer specs. although i hold my hands up i was 5gb out on the HD-DVD specs. Is it me or does the maths not add up on triple layer HD-DVD? :s

I don't care for HD-DVD though ;) lol

Archived