Above & Beyond - Planet Love 2007 Essential Mix

Simcut

File Name: Above & Beyond - Planet Love 2007 Essential Mix

File Submitter: Simcut

01. Signalrunners - 'Electric Sheep' [Anjunabeats]

02. Paul van Dyk & Starkillers & Austin Leeds feat. Ashley Tomberlin - New York City vs Luminary - Amsterdam (Smith & Pledger Remix) [white label]

03. Nitrous Oxide - 'Amnesia' [Anjunabeats]

04. Above & Beyond - 'Home' (Wippenberg Remix) [Anjunabeats]

05. Above & Beyond pres. Tranquility Base - 'Buzz' [Anjunabeats]

06. Boom Jinx - 'Eternal Reminiscences' [Anjunabeats]

07. Maor Levi - 'Shapes' (Oliver Smith Remix) [Anjunabeats]

08. Coldware - 'What's Your Name?' [Fraction]

09. Oceanlab - 'Breaking Ties' (Above & Beyond's Analog Heaven Mix) [Anjunabeats]

10. Nitrous Oxide - 'Waves' [Anjunabeats]

11. Above & Beyond pres' Tranquility Base - 'Oceanic' (Sean Tyas Remix) [Anjunabeats]

I didn't like this apart from number 1 and number 9. I agree with Briggsy Above and beyond aren't my taste either but they have kept to a niche sound which I thought was going to be lost, so I'm glad they're still going :)

I think A&B can be very hit and miss. I've heard some very poor sets from them, however they were awesome at the penultimate Cream @ Amnesia a few weeks ago and set up Ferry perfectly (who atm I think is playing the best he ever has).

It's their techy sound they tend to play when they're on early that I don't like. They should just stick to trance (even if it is formulaic and by-the-numbers)

They should just stick to trance (even if it is formulaic and by-the-numbers)

Thats what I don't like about them. Trance to me is music with balls - heavy synths, big basslines, emotional breakdowns - and Above & Beyond's sound offers none of that. I feel it sounds really basic - it doesn't seem to have any guts to it. Its slightly more gutsy than music you'd hear in a warm-up set, but not gutsy enough for a peak time set. To me, its just an odd sound that doesn't realy fit in with the modern day sound at all. I really do struggle to see why everyone regards them so highly.

Archived