Meet the Natives

Uberduck

Has anyone watched either of the two episodes of this reality style documentary on C4?

Im not usually one for these type of programs and I don't watch that much TV anymore but this is fascinating. Basically five natives from an island called Tanna in the South Pacific have travelled to England to live with three families of different classes and experience their culture.

The two programs so far have seen them living with a middle class family who run a pig farm in Norfolk and a working class family in Manchester. Only one of the five guys can speak our language.

Their experiences so far have seen them doing many activities that we'd class as normal in our society but they find totally alien. With the Norfolk family they went down the pub and played darts with the locals. One of the natives absolutely nailed they dart at the board as if he was throwing a spear aiming for the bull and hit the 25! It was an absolute masterclass in darts. The local bloke couldn't even pull the dart out of the board it was so far in.

Yesterday the family in Manchester treated them to a 'traditional' english meal of a table full of KFC buckets!! They natives loved it and scoffed the lot.

The footage of them down one of the commercial chav clubs in town was hilarious as they were proper going for it whilst dancing!

The odd thing is that their culture believes Prince Phillip was born on Tanna and that he is the leader of their people and that one day he will return to them and commence leadership. What an odd choice of a spiritual leader. Probably couldn't have picked a more racist person to be the leader of a black tribe could they!! If only they knew!

They look so funny as in their homeland all they wear is a bit of grass over their manhood but in England they all wear matching purple fleeces and bobble hats. :lol: They chavs in Manc swapped presents with them. The natives gave them handmade gifts made of grass and the chavs gave them Eccles cakes :lol:

On a serious note though it's amazing how five guys with such little knowledge of modern life can look at our culture, see the real problems and offer such simple slutions to problems. After observing our love for animals as pets they say that we need to care more about each other rather than animals. They were shell-shocked at the homeless people in the city centre and that people just don't care about them. This is so true and they were extremely upset by this.

If only our lives were as simple as theirs, things would be so peaceful and happy. They spend their days talking, eating, farming and their favorite activity...... dancing!

I'd like to see this. Hopefully I can catch it on the internet later.

It's amazing what perspectives people have of other cultures; it's a bizarre, massive, massive world out there outside your own country. I firmly believe that the more you travel, the better, more well-rounded a person you become; even from my recent stint abroad, the fact I was there not just for a couple of week but for a seriously significant amount of time, and coping, meant that by the end of it one's inter-cultural awareness is raised significantly and you begin to appreciate your own place in the world properly, whilst at the same time being able to question, with some degree of sophistication, the ways of life and drives of all cultures, including our own.

I guess that's why now I'm more proud of being English than ever before, and am keen to preserve the traditions and good values that have made us what we are here today.

Archived