No wonder :@

Aza

I've been trying to do a few mix recordings of recent, however things don't seem to be working well.

After a bit of googling, would you believe it has something to do with the bloody operating system I am runnig; Vista! :o

Quite shocking really, and I have tried a series of other options, but no luck - might have record through my works laptop now :s

Take a look at what some people have said on discussion boards...

"As I said in the other thread (and I can't try this myself either ), it may not be possible to record the line-out signal in Vista

"but seems to be a feature that is lacking/outright missing in Windows Vista (Ultimate as well)

It does go on, and what a B!tch really isn't is! Anyone here running Vista and making recordings from Line In on their DJ setups?

Help appreciated....

Addendum: I have kinda got round this through Nero Wave Editor, but even disabling all my other devices bar my line in via sound control panel I get these sorta crackling, electricy popping sounds whilst playing..??

I've made a conscious decision to stay clear of Vista, at least until the inevitable teathing problems are ironed out. Seems to be the way with all new systems that there are certain things which need to be sorted out.

Hope you're back up to speed soon mate

What program do you use to record?

I have also just found this from the MS site:

When you use Sound Recorder to record audio in Windows Vista, the recorded audio may contain pops, clicks, or other distortions

View products that this article applies to.

Article ID : 936693

Last Review : May 5, 2007

Revision : 1.0

SYMPTOMS

When you use Sound Recorder to record audio in Windows Vista, the recording may contain extraneous noises such as pops or clicks. Or, the recording may sound distorted. This problem may occur when you record from a device that is connected to the line-in port on the computer's sound card. Additionally, this problem may occur more frequently when Sound Recorder is configured to sample at rates other than 16 bits and 44100 hertz (Hz). This problem does not occur when you use certain third-party programs to record audio.

Back to the top

CAUSE

This problem may occur if the recording volume is too high. This causes data clipping in the recording. Certain third-party programs may do a better job of automatically modulating volume levels that are set too high.

Back to the top

WORKAROUND

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods, and then record the audio again: • Decrease the volume output of the device that is connected to the line-in port on the sound card. For example, if you have a portable MP3 player connected through the headphone jack of the device, reduce the volume of the MP3 device.

• Decrease the volume of the recorded sound in the Hardware and Sound item in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Manage audio devices.

2. Click the Recording tab, click the audio device that you use to record sound, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Levels tab, drag the volume slider to the left to reduce the volume, and then click OK.

I would have thought alternative software to record from your Line In would always better, not Sound Recorder. Although I do not record heavily I have had to use it for presentations etc and I've never trusted it. A proper sound card is also essential, not the built-in ones in computers you sometimes get. Try playing some music into your line in whilst recording, and linking your headphones from your computer's Line Out to listen, as you can then tweak more easily from there, closing programs down and pin-pointing the problem.

KR

I've not experienced any problems with Vista other than with Goldwave which has an MP3 encoder issue - which is a Vista bug set to be fixed in service pack 2 when that is released.

The only gripe I have with Vista is that it runs like a pig. It drains all your system resources and hard drive space. My laptop is fairly gutsy, but Vista is soooo painfully slow on it.

Just coming back to update this post and following some advice from Mr Noffski (who should get back on here) just re-updated my driver and I have something!

Just twiddling with the installation and settings again, I had to reinstall Nero (again) for Vista software update.

All this just for a bloody OS upgrade! Only thing though, I did upgrade to Vista earlier than I wanted to because of the market hype, plus I do believe when all things are ironed out, it will be v.much worth it.

Archived