Urban Music - what a load of s***.

Simcut

Am I the only one that REALLY hates Urban Music with a passion?

What the f*** is with all this Urban stuff that uses samples that sound like 80s video games.

Look at that new 50 cent track with Justin Timberlake, it sounds like a f***ing Commodore 64 in the background. It sounds awful, yet everyone thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. They also think they are a rudeboy or a gangster for listening to that s***. Oh please do f*** off!

Here's a sample of that absolute gash. I swear it sounds like something from Xenon 3! Tim made a great point that it sounds like the music from those Software Cracks you get. Nice to know for all those millions of Dollars he's earnt, this is the best he could come up with.

50 Cent Sample

Almost makes me chuckle as much as all those garage loving chavvy knobheads that went out and bought a remix of the Casualty theme music all them years ago. I remember going into UDM (Ultimate Dance Music) record shop in Enfield to buy Trance a few years ago, walking out and seeing these "gangsters" stepping out of their Mercs and BMW's with that s*** blaring out. Oh my god I pissed myself laughing. "Yeah mate, your really hard listening to Casualty theme music....dont hurt me! omg!!"

Another thing is, all those Urban lovers who slag off Dance Music and then along comes a song that has a Dance Music influenced sample on it and they f***ing love it, they point out "oh my god, dis bit is wikkid maaaaan, innit" and I just want to smack my head in disbelief. Retards, the lot of them.

The only positive outcome of that utter dross is the fact that women dont wear very much whilst dancing to it in bars and clubs. Hmmmmmmm :-)

Sorry to rant but hopefully other people out there share my frustration at this so called music....!!!!

Must go, got a bit of Pro Evo 6 to enjoy before the new one comes out :-)

Simon

I'm not a fan of the fabricated, watered down 'urban' music that is fairly prominent within society at the moment. I really despise the whole 'gangsta' notions, they seem keen to model themselves upon mafia stereotypes & fictional characters & it's a bit of a joke really.

Some proper hip-hop is good listening but there's none of it around in the mainstream, garage music was just a bit of a joke played upon the world really wasn't it? Hard to believe that the Dream Team managed to host a radio one show for so long on the back of it

I remember back in 2000 the BBC were advertising that a new "black" channel was in the pipelines - it's original name was dropped though and I believe it was made into one of the new ones out at the moment - I don't pretend to know which one!

Without generalising too much here, when I was a young'un, searching for that sound, the music I liked, this type of 'urban' music never even entered the equation; it has never held any interest and never will do. I would even go as far as to say I am completely ignorant of its intricacies and history; culturally, for me it's another world in its lyrics and references and I cannot identify with them. But I do think it owes a lot ot the electronic genre from which it sometimes heavily borrows.

I have to disagree with you there simcut, I think there are some good 'urban' tunes out there. I'm not sure really who your post is targetting, seems like the people that make the music and people who listen to it?

I've played a few student nights recently, the crowd love their urban, hip-hop, r&b, grime etc. They also equally enjoy and love dancing to dance e.g, trance, electro, house, dum & bass etc.

I think it's good to have a mix of music played at these nights. 'Urban music' as you put it is a very broad term, and covers a variety of urban genres, I'm not keen on some 50cent, kanye west tracks etc, however, as Tom puts it there is some very good urban music out there.

I don't really understand your post.

it's all pretentious bollocks. One of my best mates is an urban music lover. We clash personalities musically speaking. I hate everything urban stands for. Have you noticed how the urban scene has tried to hi-jack house music by branding a genre "urban-house"? jog on mate, just admit urban has had its day, in fact it did about 5 years ago.

The ethics of house has still remained the same for nearly 20 years, i.e if you came to dance, you're very welcome. There's no gun related violence at house clubs, no attitude at house nights (exception of beer boys granted) which is why the scene has still survived. House doesnt discriminate agains colour, creed or sexual orientation the way urban does. I mean, how many classic urban tracks have there been in the last 8 years?

I never have been an urban music lover. I either like rock/metal for something more organic or classical/chill out for more relaxing moments. I guess i like music with a lot of energy, hence why i dont really like r'n'b.

:huh:

???

is that aimed at my post?

haha, I think Simon's not targetting the clubs or the atmosphere, but really those wannabe's who drive around aimlessly in their souped up cars with their windows down playing 50cent - not because they like the music passionately - but because simply they think it's cool. I have to totally agree with him there, it is pretty hilarious! ^_^

Equally so the chavs who do exactly the same but with loud hardcore dance music - it irritates me equally, I have to say personally...

Here is my theory. Apologies if I offend but I will be hard-hitting...

Britain may well call itself "multicultural", be it a so-called 'melting pot' of cultures, races, and religions. We are told how we we integrate, how we are an example to the world as to how different communites can get along with each other in harmony.

But in fact, this is utter rubbish: Britain is the soft, easy target for foreigners seeking a better life in the richest (and best) country in the whole of Europe. People make no effort to assimilate into society, and instead set up their own lives on our once beautiful island, as if it were their own country, building religious places of worship, and challenging everything if it is not to their liking. Sometimes the white population are becoming a minority in inner-city areas.

People forget that Britain is a predominantly white nation, with English as the national language, and Christianity as its religion. It is our identity. It is our history. It is what we have fought for in world wars, not to be taken over. But we are slowly being taken over as this identity is eroded. I'm not religious, but if I packed my bags to go and live with my wife and 7 children in India (an example only), would I demand Christian churches be built everywhere, that we should be allowed a day off school for an England football match, and that fish & chips be served on fridays in all restaurants in order to accommodate us? No. No I wouldn't, because I respect that it is not my country and that I have accepted I have moved to a place where things are different, and that I will do everything possible to fit in, get on, make friends, and bring up my children like the Indian children (if in India, in my example). It will be difficult, but I made that decision when I left my own country.

So it dismays me to see white kids here looking up to music that isn't their own and has nothing to do with them. Urban music, to generalize, is black music. It is for black people, it is cool for them, it is not cool for us. I may think it's s***, but they can identify with it so its ok, and anyway they probably think dance music is s***, which is fine because we identify with it.

Why do uneducated whites take up the black music "gangsta" crap line? Because they can identify with its roots in theft, gun crime, and drugs. Simple as that.

I like bits of everything which includes r nb rap drum & bass uk garage etc.. you look at my discogs collection youll see what I mean (or maybe not!).

Theres laughable stuff in every genre I agree oxide & neutrino were a joke full stop!

Timbalands been ripping off trance aswell as old video game sounds of recent especiallly Justins 'my love'

I like urban music to a certain extent just like any genre theres enough i like and enough i dont like.

The whole urban culture thing is a load of tripe all this us gangsta rubbish...

Archived