Amato gone into Liquidation

bigsteve

Jules guestimated about three years ago on his website that he couldn't see vinyl lasting for more than another five years and he's probably about right. It's inevitable that vinyl was going to die a death in clubs as the benefits of uding CD's is there for all to see. Gone are the days of busted backs carrying hugely heavy vinyl holdalls.

Obviously there are always going to be the die-hards that champion the use of vinyl but one day they'll be stuck for new tracks as the companies won't be able to afford to supply vinyl on such a small scale.

I was one of those die-hard vinyl fans - even now, I still prefer the fully hands-on feel of vinyl rather than the "semi-automatic" feel of CDJ's, however, I eventually gave up because MP3's started being released before vinyl, and I was getting around 11 tunes for 100 quid, whereas I could get 40+ tunes on MP3 - the cost saving made sense. I could have bigger, fresher, sets, for a fraction of the cost.

The best bit of all is the fact that MP3's can be edited. There are so many tunes that are a pointless 11 minutes long, when 7 minutes or so is more than adequate. Plus there are some tunes that are supurb, but have a cringeworthy cheesy part for 30 seconds that needs chopping out.

Amato were probably the biggest distributor around, so that highlights just how much domination the MP3 industry has now.

Its a shame, but it was destined to happen when everyone moved to CD.

Archived