Apple Macbook Air

Wakey

So, this is Apple's latest offering which was uncovered the other day.

It looks impressive, small, light and really good screen. But, they rave on about the wireless technology that it has and one thing that I'm not sure about is that it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive but instead you can "borrow" one from another computer wirelessly. Or you can buy their apple one. Bit ridiculous really.

Sure it looks nice and has good spec but seems a bit of a waste of money really!

Dontlike laptops as it is.

Really? I love having a laptop, makes it so easy to carry on with work on my own machine at Uni and when I go abroad too using all my software etc.

Couldn't imagine not having one actually.

Robin, let me know what it's like, interested to know how you get on without a CD drive.

Will do Wakey! My flat is like a Mac museum and I don't imagine there's gonna be much of an issue with not having an optical drive on the laptop. The main thing I'm concerned about is the durability of the machine although I am particularly careful with electronic bits and pieces! Laptops are a must and the Air will become my admin work/internet/media machine and the G5 tower will become a purely music and photoshop computer!

Been discussing this in work and I expressed that actually not having a cd drive ain't all that bad. I'm not sure how many USB ports there and whether or not they will be USB 3 (click here for more info)...

It is deffo aimed at mobility [this mac air], however if your at home you can connect external devices such as hard drives and cd burners (blu ray burners) too. Hopefully with the Internet speeds increasing as time goes on, everything will be uploaded to nab or downloaded to install etc. Bluetooth and USB pen drives can also allow the sharing of data. 4 gig drives for less than £20; burning to a 700Mb days over (other than for audio purposes)..?

Archived