Inside Out @ Arches, Glasgow 26/01/08

Neuro

I'm off to catch a train now to head to this... meeting Craig & Steve off this board up there, should be a good'un! If anything goes wrong with the site, please get in touch with KR whilst I'm away. We've also just finished playing with a new tracklistings search engine for the site, so that'll go online next week too when we've updated all the new tracklistings as well.

Pics and report to follow after the weekend, watch this space ;)

Looking forward to my first night out in a long while. Full line-up is Jules (which Tim has strangely neglected to mention??), Leon Bolier, Filo & Peri, Luna, Andy Whitby and Wiliam Daniel. Bring it on :winkthumbsup:

No cameras after about 12 please Tim ;)

Dam! I was hoping Tim had put a long, interesting report up to save me the effort ;)

After a bit of a hectic day, I eventually met up with Tim & Craig at one of Craig's mate's flat and swiftly got a few beers down me which got me into the mood for it. Had a good chat with Tim, but unfortunately Craig had had a few by this time as while he was waiting for Tim's heavily delayed train he proceeded to drink heavily!

The atmosphere in the flat was picking up, mainly due to a rather plasticy looking c**ktail fountain, and we moved on to the pub round the corner to The Arches to meet more folk. By now Craig was completely incoherent, but was insistent on being fed Vodka and Red Bulls!

We got to The Arches probably about 11.30 and WIlliam Daniel was on in the Wee Arch playing some pretty good tunes, but then Luna came on after him and pounded out Hardstyle stuff and we rapidly switched to the Main Arch. I've no idea who was on, but it was an OK warm up.

Filo & Peri then came on and played OK, predictably playing Anthem (JOC mix) as their last tune. As a pair they looked liked chavs from where I was dancing, with one of them wearing a rather tacky baseball cap.

Then I'd expected JUles on at 1.30, but he didn't show til about 1.50, so William Daniel filled the gap and played probably the best set of the night. The guy can fit anywhere on a line-up and adjust accordingly.

Jules's set wasn't awful, but wasn't good. It was jut average tunes being played and really didn't get me going. Whether it was because he was late and tried to adjust accordingly, I don't know, but the atmosphere wasn't there either. He played Laid Bare and a mix of Greece 2000 and the best tune of the night, Chasing Leaves, was played while I was queuing to get my jacket back :angry:

It certainly wasn't the best musical night, but we made the best of it and it was good to catch up with everyone again.

btw, no idea where Bolier was playing - didn't see him all night :confused:

If I remember anything else worth typing, I'll add it, but it really was just an average night out.

EDIT -Just read in the IO board that it was Bolier who started in the Main Arch

Steve's done a pretty good summing up there. It took me nearly 6 hours to get to Glasgow after a rail replacement bus took ages to get to Newcastle and then on the way to Edinburgh someone rather selfishly decided to end their life by jumping in front of the train ahead, so we had to turn back. I arrived to a well-oiled Craig who had been waiting for me at the pub, and we went to find some fast food to eat (where just outside some a whole load of kids were being arrested) and then head to a house party, where Steve joined us.

It was nice to catch up with both Craig and Steve, and we nattered about all sorts over all sorts of alcoholic beverages on offer, including as previously mentioned, the plastic cocktail fountain, which I was fascinated by. In the flat we also met a guy called Greg (who I thought was called Craig as well, for some reason!), and the housemates too, all girls who were of varying ages, sizes, and humour. Well-bevvied on the cocktails and beer, we popped round the corner to the pub to meet Jo & Bryan, whom I hadn't seen since before I left for Spain, and they looked very well and happy which was just great. I steered off any drinks there for fear of ending myself too early, as Craig was well on the way to which was hilarious! Off to the Arches.

I was first struck by the amount of strange people inside the Arches this time, a mixture of normal people, the chavs, and the truly bizarre, and for the first time I sensed tension inside, although this might have been just me due to my own cultural differences having spent so long in Spain. Anyway Will Daniels was first to appear, and although he's not the prettiest guy you'll ever meet, he certainly threw some nice tunes out with which I was suitably impressed by, and we stayed until some guy came on after him and whacked the tempo up to 160bpm+, at which point we moved! Filo & Peri I remember seeing in the main arch, and they were quite good too, taking it in turns to throw some tunes on, and although by this time I had accepted it was going to be an evening of very Hard music, I enjoyed a lot of it and danced around for ages and ages until my legs actually hurt. Leon Bolier at this time was at this time in the other arch, and I saw a portion of his set on my way back from a gents' break, which sounded quite good but I was enticed away by an unknown tune in the other arch!

Jules was very late and Mr William Daniels (or Paul Daniels as he was becoming known) stepped in again with some excellent tunes different from his earlier set and received a richly deserved applause. Jules stepped in a started off very well, but then after 15 minutes for no explicable reason the atmosphere died and the right tunes were not forthcoming. Apart from the Ibiza Trimpet mix of his own tune and what I later learnt was Chasing Leaves near the end (admittedly best tune of the evening), it was a hugely disappointing end to the evening.

I have now accepted that however much I try, my love for the melodic will forever override anything excessively Tech-orientated, which after more than a couple of tunes in a row becomes exceptionally boring and very unmemorable, in my opinion. By now sober, I could see we were far from the only ones crying out for something trancier, because everyone who was in there didn't want to hear the outragous hardcore in all the other arches; however, it was not forthcoming. Everyone left early except myself and Craig, and we trotted off to the afterparty to get smashed on more cocktail fountain and some excellent chillout CDs, staying up all night until I gave in at 8am and got some well-earned kip before going home.

Pics to follow very very shortly!

How can Tim type 'c**ktail' without it being filtered :confused:

When I think back, there wasn't very much of the usual 'Here we...' chanting going on either which is very unusual. I think because of the harder tunes in the other Arches, Jules could have easily played less techier and it would have gone down a storm. But, he wasn't to know what was going on in the other Arches. Unfortunately, there must be a market for this tech/harder stuff, because it was a sell-out, which for Janaury is unheard of.

Maybe its Classics nights only from here on in for me. Its a real shame that music has outgrown me, before my desire to go out has :(

Was there myself on Saturday & I gotta' agree the atmosphere just wasn't as electric as it usually is. Not one of the best nights I've had to be honest.

Was impressed with Leon boiler though, his set was spot on & my tune of the night was 'Foo fighters - Times like these (David forbes remix)'......spun by Will in the main arch. David forbes is gonna' do alot of damage on the tunage front this year I reckon.......he's just invested a fortune on new hardware for his studio, so lookin' forward on hearing what he does.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't one of the best nights in there for us music-wise, and from what I'd read on other boards not for many others as well. But apparently it was for quite a few, according to Jules' diary:

Inside Out is a benchmark of club atmosphere by which I judge other global dj gigs. Before arriving I was aware that it had fully sold out, so there was no doubt that we were in for a rough night (in the good sense of the word.) Such a strong influx of brand new tunes coinciding with one of the year’s strongest weekends couldn’t have been better timed. There’s something about railway arch-based venues that makes them consistently good. Perhaps it’s the way the lighting reflects on the curved brick ceilings, or maybe it’s because the first large event I ever promoted (back in the late 80’s) was in a similar venue. Either way it was a fitting conclusion to an extremely strong weekend.

Photos anyway. Sorry there arent very many...

arches08-1.jpg

arches08-3.jpg

Oops, we all look pretty battered there! Craig, me, Steve, and Greg

arches08-2.jpg

Archived