Bottled water

Quadrant

I drink bottled water because...  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good thread this! My 'other reason' is that since I'm a "hot food / cold drinks" person, I do love tap water, but only if it's very cold.

Bottled water I only buy on the train when I'm on the way back home from clubbing in Glasgow to nurse a hangover.

My dad laugh's at me everytime he see's me with a bottle of water i dont drink it alot but sometimes if im at the shop's id prefer a bottle of water rather than a tin of coke ect..

To be fair i do think it's abit of a stroke but at time i do buy it so it's my own fault i suppose!! :wacko:

What do you mean by this, that bottled water costs a 'packet'? (lol @ your 'tin' of coke btw)

Well its water in a plastic bottle and it cost's like a quid a bottle when we can get it from are tap for free :lol:

Fair play to whoever thought up the idea must b worth an absolute fortune

Bottled water is supposed to be healthier because its flowed though natural springs. The fact that cows have dribbled in it, sheep have pee'd in in, and dogs have done a floater in it sounds very healthy.......

I've seen many bottles saying "Taken from the natural springs of the Derbyshire Dales" - i'm still trying to work out if thats supposed to be a selling point or a health warning :unsure:

Bottled water I only buy on the train when I'm on the way back home from clubbing in Glasgow to nurse a hangover.

Similar reason to me. Or if its a hot day and I'm out, I might want a water to rehydrate. I suspect much of the price of bottled water is in the distribution of it, but I always buy the cheapest available. Its certainly not one of those things where my tastebuds are affected by brand.

The cheap brands definately have a slightly odd taste to them - in fact, it tastes a little bit bitter - worse than tap water. The better ones are definately the branded ones like Highland Spring or Volvic. I'd rather pay 50p for a bottle of Volvic than 35p for a bottle of El Mingo - "Captured from the natural flows of the Oxford canal".

What annoys me though is that we pay around £1 for a farty piddly bottle here, yet in Tenerife and Majorca, I was paying something like 55 cents (30p) for a 5 litre drum.

Another example of rip-off Britain.

At home I just drink tap water but if I'm out at uni I'll quite often buy bottled water. I went through a phase of buying a bottle of coke or similar fizzy drink nearly everyday and I'm trying not to drink that much fizzy stuff so I generally just go for water if I'm out and thirsty. A nice cold bottle of water is always nice!

I drink loads of tap water (about two litres per day) as apart from preferring it to E-number filled sugary soft drinks, it's good for you. Coca cola has a pH of around 3 (although sources will tell you it ranges from 2.5 - 4.0), which means that it's extremely damaging to your teeth as is the sugar. The reasoning for this is that to make it fizzy they have to inject carbon dioxide gas and when this comes into contact with water it becomes carbonic acid.

Tap water does have it's downsides as it has chlorine (to sterilise) and fluoride (for teeth enamel protection) added and sometimes to levels deemed unfavorable to the human body :nuke: .

Bottled water is way too overpriced and I only ever buy it when I'm really thirsty and have no tap water to hand. I don't have a problem with the taste of tapwater but if you leave it standing for too long in an enclosed bottle then the chlorine comes out of solution into a gas and makes the water taste a bit manky.

Hard [tap] water would be considered as being better for you as it is effectively less pure mineral water thats passed through water treatment works. Your water hardness is determined by your geographical position as in upland areas the rainwater, which SHOULD be of a neutral pH, falls as weak acid rain due to exposure to carbon dixoide and sulphur gases in the atmosphere. As the buffering capacity (CaCO3) of waterbodies and land in upland areas is poor, the water remains acidic. Even if the rain did fall as pH neutral (7) then contact with upland soils would cause a drop in pH.

In lowland areas the water comes into contact with soluble CaCO3, which acts as a buffer to pH swings and stabilises the pH. The calcium carbonate is one of the minerals in bottled mineral water.

Bottled mineral water isn't water that has trickled over fields etc coming into contact with cow s**t but infact water that has percolated through permeable rock until it hits impermeable rock and is extracted at the aquifer. Technically it's not pure (distilled) water due to the minerals it's picked up but it's as clean as clean gets and full of goodness!

Sorry I went on a bit there but I'm my trade is freshwater fisheries so hydrology comes hand in hand with this. The above is basic for the stuff I deal with but I thought I'd add my piece. :lol:

Gosh you know your stuff! How interesting, I knew hard water was good for you but I didn't know how or why.

Am I right in saying that we are one of the only countries to put fluoride into our tap water to help teeth? I'm sure in France they use a completely different chemical.

I'd rather pay 50p for a bottle of Volvic than 35p for a bottle of El Mingo - "Captured from the natural flows of the Oxford canal".

Sir Briggsy, are you crazy? They're all the same, I tell you, they're all the same!! Still 35p more than the tap :)

I drink loads of tap water (about two litres per day) as apart from preferring it to E-number filled sugary soft drinks, it's good for you. Coca cola has a pH of around 3 (although sources will tell you it ranges from 2.5 - 4.0), which means that it's extremely damaging to your teeth as is the sugar. The reasoning for this is that to make it fizzy they have to inject carbon dioxide gas and when this comes into contact with water it becomes carbonic acid.

Tap water does have it's downsides as it has chlorine (to sterilise) and fluoride (for teeth enamel protection) added and sometimes to levels deemed unfavorable to the human body :nuke: .

Bottled water is way too overpriced and I only ever buy it when I'm really thirsty and have no tap water to hand. I don't have a problem with the taste of tapwater but if you leave it standing for too long in an enclosed bottle then the chlorine comes out of solution into a gas and makes the water taste a bit manky.

Hard [tap] water would be considered as being better for you as it is effectively less pure mineral water thats passed through water treatment works. Your water hardness is determined by your geographical position as in upland areas the rainwater, which SHOULD be of a neutral pH, falls as weak acid rain due to exposure to carbon dixoide and sulphur gases in the atmosphere. As the buffering capacity (CaCO3) of waterbodies and land in upland areas is poor, the water remains acidic. Even if the rain did fall as pH neutral (7) then contact with upland soils would cause a drop in pH.

In lowland areas the water comes into contact with soluble CaCO3, which acts as a buffer to pH swings and stabilises the pH. The calcium carbonate is one of the minerals in bottled mineral water.

Bottled mineral water isn't water that has trickled over fields etc coming into contact with cow s**t but infact water that has percolated through permeable rock until it hits impermeable rock and is extracted at the aquifer. Technically it's not pure (distilled) water due to the minerals it's picked up but it's as clean as clean gets and full of goodness!

Sorry I went on a bit there but I'm my trade is freshwater fisheries so hydrology comes hand in hand with this. The above is basic for the stuff I deal with but I thought I'd add my piece. :lol:

mccooney.jpg

Ye Know..... Too Much.....

Charcoal is a good method of filtration for tap water as due to its charge, the chlorine associates with it and is removed from the water. Obviosly you can't just selotape a lump of charcoal to your tap. You can buy filters for your kitchen sink that work by passing the tapwater through a charcoal type filter before it goes into the tap.

The water filter companies will tell you to pass your tapwater through a filter before putting it into your kettle as this reduces the hardness but what they don't tell you is that boiling water reduces the hardness anyway. Thats the white crusty s**t all over the element in your kettle (limescale). It is also visible in hard water areas as the scum on the side of your empty cup when you drink tea/coffee. This is effectively the metalic ions stained by tea and deposited on your mug.

You'll notice that living in areas where the water source comes from upland reservoirs your soap/toothpaste becomes frothy dead easy. This is because the water is more acidic and is effectively corroding the soap easier.

Science lesson over. Class dismissed :oddcake: .

Archived