Swear Filter

Max Kane

I know we had a reasonable debate about this in another thread a while back & I'd like to stress that this post isn't really related. I'm not criticising or suggesting changes but I've sene a few amusingly over-zealous examples where the swear filter has altered text.

I noticed it within my tracklist post, I listed the label as [Yosh itoshi] without the space & got this [Yos***oshi], also it seems now that if you type F* ck, again without the space you get changed to f***.

I imagine there are loads more examples, just seemed like the filter had become something of an authoritarian :P

There is no need for censorship on a board which is clearly populated by adults!

It doesn't mean youngsters and women don't browse the site though. Chrissie expressed that she found certain words offensive, so therefore, the filter is there to prevent that.

As I said a while ago, I'm not overly bothered about bad language - I use it (within reason) and don't mind others using it - however, there's a difference between the odd swear word and sentences littered with bad language.

Whilst most of us use bad language in moderation, there are some people that use it excessively for no real reason - there are plenty of alternative words.

I don't really see what the problem is anyway - most of the time, its fairly obvious what the word that has been censored was anyway, so its not as though we can't make out what the sensor is.

Besides, bad language makes a site look unprofessional - and with Tim creating a very respectable and professional site, I think the filter helps to keep it that way. You wouldn't see a Woolworths website saying "We sell f**king wellington boots for when its p**sing it down and also kids cricket boxes to protect their b******s when batting".

Whilst most of us use bad language in moderation, there are some people that use it excessively for no real reason - there are plenty of alternative words.

I don't really see what the problem is anyway - most of the time, its fairly obvious what the word that has been censored was anyway, so its not as though we can't make out what the sensor is.

Besides, bad language makes a site look unprofessional - and with Tim creating a very respectable and professional site, I think the filter helps to keep it that way. You wouldn't see a Woolworths website saying "We sell f**king wellington boots for when its p**sing it down and also kids cricket boxes to protect their b******s when batting".

Make the site look more professional?!! I'm sorry but everything I say is how it goes on in my head. Fact of the matter is, even if there are kids / women (why did women get singled out btw?) then they hear swear words every day anyways, especially 'bleeping' kids.

I'm offended by the censorship on certain websites when I'm 24 and not exactly on the CBeebies board. A site dedicated to someone you have to be 18 to see. So I couldn't give a 'whatever' if someone see's me type ***** or ********** or ***, as was mentioned before, everyone knows what it says anyways, the filter is 'bollocks' (wahey) anyways and in my opinion detracts from real life before it gets offensive.

Who on here isn't old enough to go to a pub??

And seriously, does a wee sweary word offend you?

'BOLLOCKS' ; cue banning :(

lol, I like this thread! Such passion from the ranks, good to see :)

I know we're not a bunch of kids; however, all the filtering is automated in the board software and even with the "loose" settings on, it is always going to pick up something like Scunthorpe and censor it (although, not in this post because it doesnt filter Admin posts :P)

I'm the last person to be politically correct on here so I will do my best to adjust the settings so it's slightly more lenient. Don't think you'll be able to swear your face off left-right-and-centre once I change them though, because it doesn't look great if every thread on here is full of needless obscenties; I'm just saying that the software is only meant to take the edge off the word if it's extreme, not censor the whole thing so you lose the cajones of your sentence. :D

Archived