iPod Problem

bigsteve

I have an original 4GB iPod that decided today was the day it was going to cease to entertain me anymore :(

It wouldn't show up in iTunes, but happily appeared in My Computer, so I put it into Disk Mode, as suggested by the lovely Apple. However, this hasn't changed the problem. In fact its made it worse, because I can't get it out of Disk Mode now :wall: I have tried the standard multiple button pressing, but it goes to a screen showing me a URL of Apple's support page. :wall: :wall:

I've spent most of the day going through help pages and forums, only to no avail. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes (currently 3 times lol) and I've tried going through the 'Manage' function of the right click on My Computer.

Anyone had a similar problem or that knows any fixes? I was thinking about trying the Apple Shop tomorrow, but I guess they'll kindly show me the brand new gleaming iPods and coax me into a sale :twisted:

Thanks in advance.

On my 3rd iPod now (mostly through theft :( ) and the multiple button thingy usually worked, but when my 1st one fell rather spectacularly in work I took it back to the shop, might seem a bit daft but how old is it?

If its under a year its still under most shop's warrenty, if you've tried everything else then its probably f***ed :(

Try plugging it into the USB port at the back of your PC if you're not already doing that... the ones at the front are not as powerful and iPods often mess up unless you hook it up round the back :)

To get out Disk Mode, plug in your iPod and open Itunes, make sure it can see the iPod and knows its there, then under settings turn off "Enable Disk use"? Have you tried updating the software on the iPod, and hard/soft resetting using those weird combos?

My iPod is an original mini and is over 2 years old. Ive dropped it multiple times and have left it in my car during all weather extremes to the point where it's too hot/cold to pick up yet it still works! The battery is nailed but that's mainly because my iTrip zaps the battery. It does go a bit mental eery now and again but that's technology for you. I don't see the point in changing it as I only use it in my car and on my docking station; both of which have power sources to save relying upon the battery.

My iPod is an original mini and is over 2 years old. Ive dropped it multiple times and have left it in my car during all weather extremes to the point where it's too hot/cold to pick up yet it still works! The battery is nailed but that's mainly because my iTrip zaps the battery. It does go a bit mental eery now and again but that's technology for you. I don't see the point in changing it as I only use it in my car and on my docking station; both of which have power sources to save relying upon the battery.

Just a wee tip for any potential itrip buyers, don't lol. Theres wee fm transmitters out there for about a fiver that work even better. mine works about 40 feet away and the sound quality is as good as plugging it in.

Archived