Marcel Woods 'On Fire'

Max Kane

Production-wise, I think Marcel's tunes have gone a bit downhill over the last couple of years. Cherry Blossom and Advanced were superb, but since then, only Monotone and Lemon Tree have been any good - however, DJ'ing-wise, I think he's got better than he used to be - and he's also playing more of other DJ's work rather than playing his own tunes over-and-over again.

I think the problems started with 'Advanced' - he got criticised a bit for being a bit too mainstream with that tune - so I think he's took that criticism on board, tried to change his sound a bit to go more 'underground', and its not really working for him.

I think he should stick to what he does best - whether it be mainstream or underground. Critics get paid to be critics - so they'll always find something to moan about, so he should just do what works best for him.

I almost get a bit fed up of talking about Marcel Woods. I do rate him as both a producer and a DJ but he lets himself down, mainly with the latter. I think this track needs to recalled by High Contrast never to see the light again. It is shocking. What's with the MC vocal over the top? It puzzles me as to why Dance Valley DJ's would allow an MC to talk crap over their set.

I've said time and time again that his DJ sets I've seen have been technically sound but he lacks crowd interaction and is one of these head down staring at the mixer all night DJ's. Godknows what he's looking at because most other DJ's don't need to play with the equipment that much :confused: . Maybe he has a suitable novel with him and enjoys a bit of mid-set reading?

What puzzles me is that in Briggsy's interview he rates this as his best track :o . He's having a laugh isn't he? What about 'Static State' or 'Fauna'? Those are truely immense tracks and my favorites by a country mile. Yeah 'Advanced' and 'Cherry Blossom' are good but they have been over played by everyone and remixed/bootleged to death. Static State and Fauna are tracks that proper trance heads would recognise rather than your average Joe Bloggs in the street.

On Fire is just plain dire and one High Contrast track that won't be seeing my hard earned cash :angry: .

I am not being racist here, but maybe because an MC is a black person, and since black people are defined as cool by just about every youngster these days given the age of Hip-Hop, that Marcel is simply trying to 'trendify' (if that's a word) a dance track by throwing this on top?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no thought behind this release. Dance music should be carefully constructed to create the height of pleasure for the listener... not some half-arsed, and very average rap 'fusion' which, yeah you might nod your head along to for a few seconds, but has no chance whatsoever of captivating your mind and transporting you anywhere sophisticated. :(

lol, I'm such a snob :D

Im with you all, this track is a pile of poo!

In my opinion these days some labels put tracks out anyway even if they are not that good because they dont really have anything to lose now in the mp3 era where's in the vinyl era they did because of the cost of getting vinyl pressed etc.

I think it's these Europeans who love MCs, I mean Trance Energy & alike always have them there & though every British person complains about them the same guys are back again the next year. I loathe their presence but they must have some appeal to be retained.

It baffles me sometimes the thought processes of producers, I mean why would you wana put that gash out when you've got a decent career going?

I agree, I'm not sure why.

Surely as a producer you'd only want to release a few amazing tracks - I mean really quality ones - rather than loads and loads of average releases? Maybe it's all about the £££...

I agree that Marcel's production material has gone down hill in recent times, I have download a few sets from Marcel over recent years only to be dissappointed and eneded up deleting them.

His set from Trance Energy 2008 is very Marcel orientated in terms of tracks, not a great set...

Don't rate that "On Fire" track also

Archived