Windows Vista

Aza

Any Vista users here?

I've had a pretty good experience thus far with my OS upgrade and have been quite lucky with hardware as all had drivers for the upgrade.

Serive Pack 1 was release last week and only last night I noticed something a little annoying. The Search facility has been removed from the Start Menu! Now I have grown to like this feature because it's almost like real-time live indexed search e.g. if I type a something in the search box results begin to appear...

This has been removed in the upgrade to SP1 and I believe it's because of lawsuit or something with Google! Argghh!

Anyone notice this, your thoughts?

I don't have Vista (both my PCs run on XP) but apparently they were obliged to give other search engines a chance (like Google desktop) etc and it was deemed unfair, so it was removed.

I think there are registry tweaks to put the search facility back in again, worth googleing (e.g. here for example), but it might replace the "Run" command, so watch out!

Cheers Tim...

yeah I did have a gander last night, but in the end gave up because cba to mess about with tweaks. Instead I found something a little easier.

Press the windows key and F3 or, windows + F. Both bring up the same command :)

I had Vista on my laptop for about 6 months, but then I got frustrated with it and put XP back on.

The only software I really use is Goldwave for audio editing, and Fireworks + Dreamweaver for website work - and as all of these had compatibility issues, I just couldn't wait for patches any longer - it was causing me problems galore.

I also thought that Vista ran like a pig. It hogs so much system resources.

From what i've read, more people than ever before have bought a PC with the latest OS (in this case, Vista) and chosen to go back to the previous version (XP) because they don't like the new version. Dell now also the chance to buy a PC with XP upon request, instead of Vista, because they've had so much demand for it.

I read in a PC magazine last month that Microsoft have pretty much given up on Vista becoming successful because of all the negative feedback - and are already working on the next edition of Windows (Creativily named Windows Ten....) - and its set for release in 2010. Now, bearing in mind that Windows XP is supported until 2010, its highly unlikely that people are unlikely to move to Vista now.

XP was a nightmare when it first came out - and then, eventually, it became their best OS ever. It was reliable, ran nice, looked good, etc - so they should have just stuck with that and developed it more.

I can see Windows Ten being a mixture of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows x64. It'll have the stability and security of XP, the looks of Vista, and the 64 bit capabilities of x64. If they've got any sense, that's the route they'll go down. Knowing Microsoft though, they'll do another completely new re-write, release it before its finished with a million and one bugs, and then that'll be a flop too.

I think it will pretty much be the same for Vista as XP. At the time XP was potentially a revolutionary OS and had a lot of bugs etc. Vista in my experience (IME) has had less initial problems and whatever ones there are, these seem to quickly be addressed.

I think that talk of Windows Ten may be fictional. From what I read Vista is likely to be the last OS release from MS for a long time. They spend a hell of a lot marketing for its launch and Dell only got their way with XP because of the demand; MS reluctanctly agreed to support XP till 2010. There will be another Service pack for xp (SP3) and I believe that will be out around April / May ( I think). I think that will be it then from MS, that service pack has over 1000 fixes and MS will prob focus on Office 2007 and Vista.

Most consultancy firms has Vista installed too. Its been MS biggest investment and focus on a Software product ever [Vista] so I doubt they would scrap all that considering how much money has been spent on marketing.

It is a big adjustment using Vista, but since I upgraded it took a bit of getting used too and I very happy :)

I don't think Vista will be as successful from a sales point of view as XP. Vista has already been around for two years, and people are still sticking with XP. Also, despite it being around for two years, Microsoft still haven't cured all of the bugs and supported it enough - there's still over 2000 known bugs in existance.

The only people I can see moving to Vista are those that are buying new systems with it already installed, and gamers that need DirectX 10 - because Microsoft have made it clear that they'll only make DirectX 10 Vista compatible (a con into making people buy Vista).

I don't think Windows 10 is a myth though - it was published in one of the best known PC magazines, and they'd no doubt have the ass sued off them if they were misleading people like that. Only time will tell I guess.

I'd have no qualms about using Vista if Goldwave and everything else I use ran on it OK - it looks nice too, but until they sort out the issues and make it run quicker, i'm not about to switch back.

Archived