New coins from Royal Mint

Quadrant

Has anyone seen the disgraceful new design for our treasured coinage?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7326491.stm

_44533586_newcoin226b.jpg

Being a traditionalist, I don't see why we need a new design like this? People seem to think that if you change something it can only get better but that's a view so misguided that it's untrue, and is woefully evident in this case.

So, rather thoughtlessly, our 5p coins for instance are going to look a mess and our 20p pieces are going to have random lions arses on them. Hardly one to make you proud of our heritage is it? :angry:

I don't think they're too bad - it's not as if all the current coins will be phased out, because this is just a new design for 2008; it just happens to cover all the coins this time. The design is the Royal Coat of Arms, Quad... so I'd have thought you be all for that? :)

I just don't like our symbols being erased to make way for a design that is so fragmented. I have no problem with sometimes alternating the back of £1 coins, but to mess with all the other ones is pointless. And Sir Neuro, you are wrong - this design is set to be THE design for the rest of time for our coins in the future. :(

Notice also, that the £2 coin is unchanged... but then again, that was controversial too when it came out. I don't like that coin either.

Come on people, show some passion for your nationality. This is your coinage! :angry:

LOL, couldn't care less, besides having to deal with the confusion of knowing what one's what.

Shopkeepers, bartenders etc will have a nightmare though :D

I'm more annoyed that people are annoyed about it, its only a coin, you don't frame it on your wall... Heritage? From a coin? Pahhh

I'm actually a fan of the new designs. It's a presentation of our heritage in an interesting and modern way - the best of both worlds. Yes, change for change sake isn't the right attitude, but blindly sticking with something because it's tradition has no merit either.

It is you, sir, who is blind! I stay loyal to tradition because it brings me stability and I it has always suited me. The coins have never troubled me before and I think this is change for the sake of change.

When I get these new coins in my change (apart from the £1 coin, which I accept), in my heart I know I shall personally refuse to acknowledge that they are legal tender and consequently will do my utmost to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

It is you, sir, who is blind! I stay loyal to tradition because it brings me stability and I it has always suited me. The coins have never troubled me before and I think this is change for the sake of change.

When I get these new coins in my change (apart from the £1 coin, which I accept), in my heart I know I shall personally refuse to acknowledge that they are legal tender and consequently will do my utmost to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Quadrant, you usually say things I agree with, but come on to f***. Its a wee bit of metal you buy things with.

"I shall personally refuse to acknowledge that they are legal tender and consequently will do my utmost to get rid of them as quickly as possible."

Listen to yourself.

f*** heritage, it made us into the right f***ing s*** country we are now.

Heritage? 17.5% tax? £1.11 for petrol? Councils having to waste money on stupid things at the end of the tax year to keep up next years budget? Stupid laws on everything recently? MP's not living in the real world, paying for 'her f***ing majesty' the queen to do nothing relevant whatsoever to helping the country?

There's more to be p***ed off about than a few new coins, and the only way to fix it is to change it.....

Traditionalist? Get to f***, we'd still be living in caves if everyone thought like that :huh:

f***ing hell this country`s going to s***

Correct. It's the cost of living that get's my back up. It's costing me £60 to fill my 1.9L Golf now :angry: . It's an economical car so that goes a long way but it only seems a short while ago that I was paying about £55. It's just so expensive for everything compared to the standard wage.

Not being funny, but you ever wonder if it would have been better if Hitler had won WW2?

I know its a bit 'out there', but seriously, German efficiancey and all that?

More than "out there", that's just plain wrong. Go and read up on the war.

I think they're great. I'm all for a change, they look better than the old one.

Having said that, give us the euro and I'll be happy.

Sir Wakey, why oh why would the Euro be better than our beloved coins? :(

I'm going to start a Euro thread...

Archived