Man U vs Barcelona last night

Quadrant

Classic Scholes. I don't expect him to score those sorts of goals at regular intervals as his role is less attacking compared to the late 90's/early 00's but that was just classic.

I was absolutely screaming when he scored. What a total legend of a player and what a brilliant result. Can't wait until the final!!! Overall I think that Barcalona dominated the match and during the second half we were hanging on for a very long time. I enjoyed the first half but was so nervous during the second. Couldn't enjoy it when we defended for such long periods.

I don't think it's shameful that we weren't very attacking during the second half as the game had such huge repercussions. Rijkaard was right by saying we went very defensive but so what? Maybe it wasn't beautiful football but we're in the final now and they aren't :P .

Personally my two players of the match for us were Tevez & Brown. I think Wes had one of his best games for United last night as got us out of the s*** on a fair few occasions. Tevez was just a total pest to Barca and gave their players no time on the ball whatsoever. He's such a good player and I was gutted he was unused at Chelsea on Saturday.

Not fussed about who we get in the final. I think the scousers have the edge in Europe as Benitez seems to get tactics right but I think Chelsea have the better defence and would be harder to break down. I would like to take the league title over them and beat them in Moscow though; that would be very satisfying ;) .

I think Park JS was the best player on the pitch along with Messi. And for the first time ever, Wes Brown had an outstanding game as well - I've never rated him in and England shirt and every time I see him play I think he is crap, but yesterday he definitely had a great game along with Rio.

But the main reason why Barcelona lost was their away strip colour... that blue is horrific!

I think Park JS was the best player on the pitch

You've been listening to the t**t David Pleat too much! It's Ji-Sung Park. David Pleat is so ignorant with players names and makes to attempt to pronounce them or [with the above] say them in the correct order.

Park has even gone to the lengths of having 'JS Park' on his shirt whereas it used to be just 'Park'. He must be getting fed up with it the poor boy :( .

Park, Park wherever you may be,

they eat dogs in your country,

could be worse,

could be a scouse,

eating rats in a council house.

Or the other one that cracks me up is:

He shoots, he scores, he eats labradors.... Ji-Sung Park, Ji-Sung Park.

:P

Actually sir, I believe you can say it either way - Ji-Sung Park, or Park Ji-Sung - and the most common way for Koreans to do this is in fact to put their family name first. Unless I am mistaken, in Korean pronunciation the name we know as "Park" is in fact a romanized name of the Korean "박". This is standard for younger Koreans when using European Languages, and can be done in a variety of ways, generally in the form of family (last) name, then given (first) name, although it can be the other way too.

Additionally, the second football chant you mention contains a misnomer of the aforementioned given name. Given that the family name "Park" (romanized) is among the most common surnames in the whole of Korea (9% of all Koreans use this surname or varient), it is known that the anglicized "Park" actually has no 'r' sound at all. Its initial sound is an unaspirated voiceless bilabial stop, like a cross between English 'p' and 'b'. The vowel is the IPA sound [a]. For this reason, the name is also often represented as "Pak" or "Bak".

There are numerous examples of either use in practice. I just had a quick look at Wikipedia and found the following:

* Angela Park (born 1988), Brazilian golfer of Korean descent

* Bo Hi Pak (born 1930), Unification Church leader

* Park Chae-rim (born 1979), South Korean actress

* Chan-ho Park (born 1973), South Korean baseball player

* Park Chan-wook (born 1963), South Korean film director

* Pak Chang-sik (born c1958), North Korean politician

* Park Chung-hee (1917-1979), South Korean president, 1961-1979

* Park Chu-Young (born 1985) , South Korean footballer

* Park Geun-hye (born 1952), South Korean politician

* Grace Park (born 1974), Canadian-American actress of Korean descent (Battlestar Galactica)

* Grace Park (born 1979), Korean-born American golfer

* Park Gyuri (born 1988), South Korean Singer of the Girl group Kara

* Park Han-byul (born 1984), South Korean actress

* Ho Sung Pak (born 1967), Korean-born American stuntman & actor

* Park In Won (born 1936), South Korean businessman & politician

* Park Ji-Sung (born 1981), South Korean footballer.....

* Park Ji-yoon (born 1982), South Korean singer & model

* Park Jung Ah (born 1981), a South Korean singer

* Park Jung-su (born 1983), South Korean singer (Leeteuk) (Super Junior)

* Pak Kil-yon (born 1943), North Korean diplomat

* Park Kwang-su (born 1955), South Korean film director

* Pak Kyong-sam, North Korean politician

* Park Kyu-Seon (born 1981), South Korean footballer

* Park Kyung-mo (born 1975), South Korean archer

* Lena Park (born 1976), Korean-American singer

* Linda Park (born 1978), Korean-born American actress (Star Trek: Enterprise)

* Mike Park, Korean-American musician

* Park Mok-wol (1916-1978), South Korean writer

* Pak Pong-ju (born 1939), North Korean politician

* Richard Park (born 1976), Korean-born American ice hockey player

* Park Sang-min (born 1970), South Korean actor

* Se Ri Pak (born 1977), South Korean golfer

* Pak Romi (born 1972), Zainichi Korean voice actress

* Park Shin-yang (born 1968), South Korean actor

* Park Sol-mi (born 1978), South Korean actress

* Park Sung-hyun (born 1983), South Korean archer

* Park Tae Hwan (born 1989), South Korean swimmer

* Park Tae-sang (born 1979), South Korean badminton player

* Pak Tong-chun (born 1942), North Korean diplomat

* Pak Tu-jin (1916-1998), South Korean poet

* Park Yong-ha (born 1977), South Korean actor & singer

* Park Yong-Ho (born 1981), South Korean footballer

* Park Yong Soo, South Korean martial artist

* Park Yoo-chun (born 1986), South Korean singer (TVXQ)

* Pak Ho Sik, Founder Hwa Rang World Tang Soo Do Federation

* Park Soo Ae, a South Korean actress

* Park Ye-Jin, a South Korean actress

* Park Hwayobi,a South Korean singer

* Park, Daniel John, (born 1991) a South Korean Gangsta

* Sandara Park, former South Korean actress in the Philippines

So no shame for David Pleat I don't think. And even if he is wrong, I'm sure he wouldn't be the first person to hear his own surname pronounced incorrectly ;)

Archived