The classics of tomorrow

All this talk about classics being remixed got me thinking ... what recent tracks that we love to hear now will become the classics in about 5-10 years time? Can you see yourself listening to certain tracks in many years to come, or maybe even find them on compilations a lot further down the line?

Lets get some debate going shall we ....

Great topic starter, it has got me thinking hard. Simple answer is, I don't think there will be!

I think the turnover of tunes and the amount of music around at the moment is just so phenomenal and vast that nothing lasts more than 5 minutes. You'd have to drag me back to Ibiza 2001 really for me to name some classics that Jules would cane and cane and cane (Motivation - Para Mi, anyone? no remixes yet though!), trademark stuff. These days a great tune (and bad tune) is played and disappears as quickly as it came. Unless people make bootlegs out of them they're forgotten forever. Will be interesting to see what other folk think on 'ere...

I agree with Quadrant. It's weird. Maybe 2-3 years ago, when I was still using vinyl, records would last me 3-4 months before they disappeared outta sets... now it's a matter of weeks!

I'm wondering if it's the quality that's dropped or the increased availability of tunes nowadays... If I had for example, the likes of Deadmau5, Simon Patterson, Airwave etc on vinyl now, I think i'd get a much bigger buzz out of them simply because I had saved up £6 the previous week to buy them on Juno and they wouldn't be leavin my box for months...

In my opinion, the latest 'anthems' were churned out in 2003 - the death of mainstream vinyl. Now we can get our hands on anything via Beatport, Dj Download, Rapidshare, Limewire etc and belt it out before it ever see's the light of day.

Don't get me wrong... there have been some awesome stuff out digitally.

But since I'm completely off topic, some future classics I rekon would be:

Simon Patterson - We'll See (And Bulldozer)

Breakfast - Horizon (Which I didn't think got the limelight which it deserved)

Pryda stuff

I agree with you there mate, definately been a subsiding in terms of all around quality as digital releases are seemingly ten-a-penny, labels don't need to invest in an artist in order to press their track etc, they just put out anything remotely marketable.

This is great on the one hand as it allows a lot of variety & allows you to find some real hidden gems, but also it can over-saturate the market & lead to a mass of under-produced drivel finding it's way into the market place

The mention of Breakfast sparked a thought. I really enjoyed 'Sunlight' which he did. The JPL remix of 'Sunlight' really exaggerated the best features from it too. Im not sure if it will become a classic like the sort we know today though.

Simon Patterson's 'F16' is sort of tip-toeing on the line at the moment, but a lot of his more recent work is getting much better. Will be good to see how far this new talent will go.

This is great on the one hand as it allows a lot of variety & allows you to find some real hidden gems, but also it can over-saturate the market & lead to a mass of under-produced drivel finding it's way into the market place

Totally sir. I think this is what's happening now, although I imagine this will level out in a few years' time. Hopefully.

Archived