MP3 Encoders

simonross46

I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment;

I use both a laptop and a desktop PC for making my mixes and bootlegs. When I record my mixes using Virtual DJ, if I am using the laptop I can record directly into MP3 format but my desktop PC does not have an MP3 Encoder to do this same function. There is an option to choose different encoders on the Virtual DJ programme but at the moment my desktop PC can only record as WMA files.

Can I download a [good] free MP3 encoder anywhere? I have done a google job but all the results appear virtually the same so Im hoping that someone on here will have a specific recommendation. Are they fairly straight forward to sort out too? It will be nice just to install it like anything else then just select it on the programme when it comes to recording time.

I use WinLAME - available here... (also some screenshots here if that interests you.)

Simcut's suggestion of Razorlame is equally as good though - you can get that here.

Have a play with both and see which you like. I'd recommend you save your master as a separate wav file (every piece of sound software should have this as an option). Then just throw that (rather large) wav file into one of these programs, adjust the settings and convert it to mp3. Easy! You can play with VBR settings too, but unless you're short on disk space it's just not worth it.

In an ideal world, we'd all be trading wav files, because they are theoretically perfect, but they're just too massive in size.

Lastly, don't touch WMAs or other bizarre formats with a bargepole! 320k mp3s all the way ;)

This is all very helpful information guys. Those screenshots are good to check out too, gives an insight into what to expect. I will have a go with the Win-Lame version first as I can see what it will be like already. If theres any trouble then at least I can move on to some other options! :)

You can always use iTunes as well, has a good convertor but you must remember to change the settings because 128 is rubbish. Also iTunes leaves unnamed files all over your hard drive which is annoying.

Archived