Cataloging vinyl - by Artist or Label ?

Simcut

By Artist or by Label?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey all,

Just want your views... do you think I should catalog my vinyl by Artist or by Label with the cat #'s in order ?

I'm thinking of re-cataloging everything when I move house (my parents are getting back together so we will be moving sometime in the next 3-4 months)

I'm in favour of cataloging by label and then by cat #...

What do you think would work best? I think by Artist would take forever for me to do.....

Do you guys know anywhere where I can get solid dividers that are alphabetically labelled? You know....that are purposefully designed for sorting vinyl......I want a solid divider that has a tab sticking out with the letter on it, need a-z.....anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers folks!b ;)

Wow, that's impressive if you do that. Half of my vinyl is in my nan's garage and the other half is in my folks garage. I had to move half because the folks kept moaning about the amount of tunes i had and they are sorted like thus; all piled neatly irrespective of artist, label or catalogue number. I'd just sort them into labels thought, if i could be bothered. I will reunite my vinyl collection when i move out of my shared house, in 2 months time. Cant wait.

I also let Serato Scratch Live do the cataloging for me these days! ;)

I'd do it by label because you're more likely to remember the sleeve and what it looks like. If you sort them by Artist and can remember everything except the artist, you're screwed! I'd also have a shelf for unknowns or rare promos.

By the way, you mention sort A-Z, but isn't that a bit boring? How about assigning a specific shield to each letter, then simply stick a small adhesive shield symbol on the shelf? That would be my ideal.

shields.jpg

lol Quadrant, only you could come up with something like that.

Another question.....

do I sort by style, then by label?

So for example

House - A-Z

Trance - A-Z

Hardcore - A-Z

Hardstyle - A-Z

Or shall I literally just sort them by label no matter what style??

I have mine labelled up under artists, under the following categories

Funky House A-Z

90's Trance Classics - A-Z

Trance A-Z

Techno A-Z

I know most of mine by artist and can pick a sleeve out no problem, but I struggle to remember labels at times.

I tend to make life harder than it needs to be, so there was always a good bit of guess work, as there was practically no order, especially after parties etc.

Serato's made it easy as hell now though, I've got about 30 different 'crates' sorted, and can search for a tune by artist, track, genre, length (if I need a toilet break), or even notes about it, eg 'percussive', 'driving', 'builder' etc on my hard drives.

Which is handy when you have about 20,000 tunes to look through lol.

Serato Scratch Live. Allows you to play mp3's by using timecoded vinyl. You use the vinyl to manipulate the mp3's from your laptop as you would normal records. It's all connected via a box which goes from the mixer, into your laptop. Flick the line/phono switch and you can play proper vinyl! it's so good, it really is. Highly highly recommended. I'm amazed Rane hasn't marketed the hell out of it yet. If they did, this would be industry standard in every dj booth.

Archived