Splitting MP3 Files

simonross46

Right then chaps, I have recorded a new mix which spans just over an hour. I have done it mainly for a friend in a car club I have been a part of for about 4 years. He would like it to be on a CD to play in his car ... which means its essential to have the mix split into tracks.

The software I use to convert files also has a splitter with it, but even on 'high precision' I still find that when all the tracks are put together there are clear gaps. I need something that can split these tracks at the ultimate precision so that when my mate listens to this, he wont notice when one track finishes and another starts (even if he tries to listen for it).

Does anyone have a programme that they know does this job exactly how I would like or is it just impossible to get what Im looking for in any programme what-so-ever?

hey Simon.

To burn a single mp3 or wave file into an audio cd with multiple tracks, i'd go with my old fave Burrrn. the official website seem to have problems, so grab it here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burrrn.html

You just load the cue sheet (which you already made from that online cue-sheet generator) into Burrrn and burns the cd!

NOTE!! Remember to make sure the path to the wave or mp3 file is in the .cue file (open it in Notepad and look at the first few lines)... or you can leave the path out, having only the filename present.

like this:

PERFORMER "Judge Jules"

TITLE "Live From Donegal Square Belfast NYE (31-12-2002)"

FILE "D:\Sets\Judge Jules - Live From Donegal Square Belfast NYE (31-12-2002).mp3" MP3

or without the path (done like this, you MUST have the file in the same folder as the .cue file!!!!):

PERFORMER "Judge Jules"

TITLE "Live From Donegal Square Belfast NYE (31-12-2002)"

FILE "Judge Jules - Live From Donegal Square Belfast NYE (31-12-2002).mp3" MP3

EDIT: on a sidenote, or the side dish (with a hot potato), the program i use for editing mp3's is mp3DirectCut. snag it here: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/

it's VERY handy when you need to split or join mp3 files.

I use it mainly for livesets as many of the sets i find are in 2 or more pieces.

Mind you, the joining feature only work with files that has the same bitrate (seems logically really).

Good luck, and don't hesitate to holla if you're having tech probs

Well looking in to the Notepad document for the cue file, I put in the filepath but it just wasnt having any of that ("filepath not found") ... so I went on without including the filepath. An error message appeared saying ... " is not a valid integer ... and went into the Burrrn programme, but this time the first track appeared in the list, just not the rest?

The correct filepath is vital, or else it doesn't understand what to apply the track marks to.

Make sure your .cue file wasn't saved accidentally as a .txt file when you edited it in notepad (when you save it, select the file type as "all files", then manually type in the ".cue" ending). Also, I find it easier to throw in this .cue file along with the actual file without any folders, so you don't need the full path, just copy and paste the actual mp3's filename into the relevant area in the .cue file.

Any probs, give us another shout because if one single thing is wrong with the cue file, it will not work! Hope you have lots of blank CDs... I think everyone on here has wasted a few at some point getting this right so no worries :)

The simlpest solution for me was just to have the cue sheet and the mp3 file in the same folder.

I then use nero and simply start from the blank screen, go to Recorder > Burn Image and locate the cue sheet file. As the mp3 is in the same file you don't need to specify anything in the cue sheet because they are in the same directory.

Another key point often overlooked is ensuring you specify in the cue file whether it is mp3 of wave. The code will look like this:

MP3:

FILE "Calling_Beyond-Revisited_and_Revised-mixed_by_Aza.mp3" MP3

WAV:

FILE "Calling_Beyond-Revisited_and_Revised-mixed_by_Aza.wav" WAVE

Here is an example for you from a cue sheet from one of my mixes. I hope this helps; any of the above mentioned programmes will do it, but I've stuck with Nero purely because it was the first burning prog I ever used and has always managed to do what I wanted, so I never changed...

PERFORMER "Aza"
TITLE "Calling Beyond - Revised & Revisted"
FILE "Calling_Beyond-Revisited_and_Revised-mixed_by_Aza.mp3" MP3
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Para Mi (Original Mix)"
PERFORMER "Motivation"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "The Theme (Original Mix)"
PERFORMER "Jurgen Vries"
INDEX 01 03:57:16
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "If You Want Me (Original Mix)"
PERFORMER "Warrior"
INDEX 01 07:31:16
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Legoland (Vocal Mix)"
PERFORMER "Fingers Burnt"
INDEX 01 11:39:17
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Solstice (Original Mix)"
PERFORMER "System F"
INDEX 01 16:58:73
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Massive"
PERFORMER "Ralphie B"
INDEX 01 21:08:03
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Strange World (2000 Remake)"
PERFORMER "Push"
INDEX 01 26:15:29
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "The Oboe Song (Green Martian Remix)"
PERFORMER "The Clergy"
INDEX 01 32:28:16
 TRACK 09 AUDIO
TITLE "Shi-Du 2000 (V.O.O.D.I. Remix)"
PERFORMER "Reysan Khan"
INDEX 01 40:01:74
 TRACK 10 AUDIO
TITLE "Spectrum (Live Pioneering Mix: Noff Edit)"
PERFORMER "Aza"
INDEX 01 45:30:27
 TRACK 11 AUDIO
TITLE "Dreams (Cosmic Gate Remix)"
PERFORMER "Miss Shiva"
INDEX 01 51:20:33
 TRACK 12 AUDIO
TITLE "Altitude (SHOKK Remix)"
PERFORMER "Altitude"
INDEX 01 56:59:12

Thanks for all the support with this guys, last night me and Mr Fuzzy went through what the problems could have been, and we came to find that what needed to be done was change 'Index 00' (on the fourth lines), to 'Index 01' ... as simple as that.

I moved on to burn the CD from this very computer but it was just stunned by it. It may just take a s*** load of time, because I have just tried it out on the laptop now and the CD is currently in my stereo filling the house with sweet individual trance tracks .. all of which without gaps.

Im so glad its been sorted, I can know take this knowledge with me in future. This thread may become useful for future members too if they ever hunt it down. Who knows.

Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate it! :D

Only just seen this thread. Glad you've sorted it. I always just use Nero's track splitter then you can change the gap to 0 seconds between the songs at a click of a button.

I've never tried this - is it really 0 seconds (seamless) or does it actually have the tiniest of tiniest milliseconds of gap?

No worries and btw the (y) in my last post was meant to be a thumbsup! I did it the msn way lol.

Give it a try, it's really easy to use. Exams all good mate, I now await the results, hope yours went well too! :)

I used to use that Wakey and it was hit and miss as to what Tim mentioned up there ^ about tiniest of gaps. I wasn't sure whether it was my machine or the cd drive, but it still puzzled me.

Thats why I went on to cue sheets. You still get the same effect absolutely seamless & I think they are more tidy and for less than almost 1kb of storage you can easily burn the same track many times with splits :)

Same here - but I can strongly recommend this little diversion - besides I use Nero (limits and splits section) to grab the track times that need splitting for the cue because if you do with winamp it uses greater units of the millisecond (strange I know - but if that makes sense) and then just paste the times into the cue sheet :)

Archived