SMCOC Mix 2008

There were many members in this car club who wanted a compilation CD by myself to play in their cars, so I went along and got one sorted out over the past few weeks. I thought I will post the link here for everyone to enjoy. I've taken a shot at putting labels in too using Discogs, so if any are wrong its my bad:

SMCOC Mix 2008:

http://www.4shared.com/file/49886048/d3d71...C_Mix_2008.html

1. 4 Strings - Take Me Away (Mac Zimms Remix) [Central Station]

2. Miko - Muzaik (Evol Waves Remix) [White Label]

3. Simon Ross - White Russian All The Way (Daniel Mahuad's Edit) [White Label]

4. Mojado - Senorita (Mr Sam Vision) [Magik Muzik]

5. Jonas Steur - Second Turn [black Hole]

6. Armin Van Buuren ft Justine Suissa - Burned With Desire (Kyau and Albert Remix) [Nebula]

7. Ronski Speed - Soulseeker (Stoneface and Terminal Remix) [Euphoric]

8. Carl B - Social Suicide (Ronski Speed with Stoneface and Terminal Remix) [Profuse]

9. 64 Bit - Virtual Discotech (Beam and Sean Tyas Part 2 Remix) [beam Traxx]

10. Bissen ft Victoria Jane - Melting [Drizzly]

11. Mark Pledger with Matt Hardwick ft Melinda Gareh - Fall Tides (Simon Patterson Remix) [Anjunabeats]

12. Armin Van Buuren - Shivers (Alex Morph Red Light Dub) [Nebula]

I have been told to visit a local club (one I havent thought of going to) and handing a copy of this to its manager. There are people who work there who know me (yet I dont know them, weird) and are willing to put a good word in for me to their manager.

This sort of opportunity is rare due to my location, so some feedback on the mix will be extremely useful because I am worried that if this is not any good compared to my other mxies I should make something else specially. I dont want to mess up my chance.

Any corrections with labels just shout and I'll dive in with the changes.

Simon

you have to play what you want to play. I've played clubs where i've handed a demo and they've booked me on that. Then when i get there, the promoter will be screaming at me to play "harder, or more minimal, or speed it up a little". At the end of the day, you heard my promo, you knew what my style was and they should have known where to place me in order of sets.

I'm in the process of sending out demo's now. Personally i dont like to comprimise my sound. There is a club (somewhere) for everyone. You're based in Lincs, i dont know too much about that scene, i've played Choobe before - about a year ago, that's a more house thing though - which tends to be the sound i go for these days.

Tracklist wise, i'd say it looks quite good. You're very much like me though, i'll do a mix and always think i can do a better one.

I'd send it, if you dont get any come back, do another, send it off and repeat the process. I've sent some promoters 7-8 different mix cd's before they've given me a go. It's all about persistence. The one thing i learnt is that you would be very lucky to get regular gigs off the back off one demo cd.

They are some very useful comments mate.

When I make mixes that are this long (this is an hour) I tend to worry towards the end about going wrong ... and we all know that when you worry its likely to go wrong. There are a couple of beatmatching errors in this mix, but I cant sit through it again just to clean it up a tiny bit. We all make mistakes ;)

Lincolnshire is quite poor for clubs. The city itself is quite good, but I am an hours drive away from the city, and I cant really go up there just yet since Im in the thick of my A-Levels. This club thats in my town seems good, it has a reputation, and Im sure my music can go down well with the crowds its just a matter of giving the manager the general feel of my style.

I will be sure to post numerous demos to these people, I have always relied on a single demo in the past.

I'm downloading the mix as we speak and i will comment back. Admittedly, when i hear Paul Websters mix and i hear how smooth the mixing is, i sometimes wonder why i bother!! I'd love to know how he blends the tunes cos i can never get it that smooth.

I also send CD's out of town too. In fact, i've played more outside of Peterborough than i have played here. There just isnt the scene here for me, it's all Wetherspoons and Luminars. If you've got a car it's not a problem - although obviously, you cant have a few whilst djing. Better still, get a mate to drive you in order for getting them in for free, thats what i normally do.

Also, one bit of advice is, try to hand it to the promoter/manager personally. I've lost count of times when i've handed a mix cd to bar staff, only to follow up to see if its been received, which i find it hasnt. Now i've finished my training i'm looking to get gigs again, i'm trying to send out a batch of demo's every 2-3 weeks.

Actually, we should start a "Getting gigs" topic in the open chat section!

haha would be wise to shift this topic over in to a new thread :lol:

I was thinking exactly the same when I listened to Pauls mix the other night. These big DJ's get such smooth, unoticeable, transitions with such ease. I normally get the first few tracks in a mix spot on and then they gradually get worse until the beats start to slip and all go wrong.

Im in the process of learning to drive at the moment. I dont actually drink either so I will be able to drive to these places in future which will be of great benefit. I know a club in Gainsborough called The State and they have wanted me to play there for ages now. Jules and Hardwick have done it, and Durand is booked for it in June too.

I went to a small pub in town and asked about DJ'ing, had a CD with me and this busty barmaid said she would hand it over ... I could see it getting lost in her cleavage so I asked for the manager. They will always come down when theres an unexpected guest cos they always want to know what the problem is lol.

We all f*** a mix up from Time to Time, im sure even Paul etc would admit he has. I suppose its like with anything its about concerntration and practice. I tend to find that you can over concerntrate and worry to much when beatmatching/mixing etc. Best advice is to enjoy it and take a step back sometimes and relax when mixing, i tend to find i am at my best when i do, but thats me.

Thats how it is for me aswell. When I sit having a bit of fun mixing I go through the tunes one after another. As soon as I see the 'recording' button light up, or if I [soon] see a crowd infront of me the pressure is on to get it right.

Darren Brown did a thing about it on his 'Trick or Treat' show. Its because if your mind is thinking 'dont go wrong' ... you are focusing on that point so much that it becomes a reality. If you dont think about it, it wont happen. Makes sense really lol.

interesting that, because when i play out my mixing is so much better. Probably because the acoustics of the room hide the slight drift! Either that or because i usually have such a laugh that i dont really notice it. It's only when it comes to recording a CD when i tend to mess up.

I love playing out though. I prefer warming up to playing main hours though - especially as my sound now is more techier, more housier.

Its recording that beats me or live radio shows - I screw up big time.

In front of a crowd though gets me playing at my best. I think its because you can see them enjoying it, whereas with a radio show or recording, you can't judge the responses its getting.

Does the link given work? It has had 0 downloads so far so Im starting to question whether it does. I cant try it myself because I am the uploader :(

Its a very big file though because its zipped so maybe it will be wise to just upload the mix alone?

Archived