Glamour models become DJ's

JasonB

The sun have an article on two page 3 girls/glamour models that have become DJ's, im bloodey fedup with this shyte.

I have nothing against women DJs at all, what I am against is them in my mind taking the easy route to the top of the DJ tower, these programmes on about how page 3 n that theers too many people wantingto get intoglamour and theres no real money it it, well theers enough girls that seemed to have done alright suchas these two to warrant gettingtheir baps out get paid a nice sum fro doing justthat, being able to go outget the top dj equipment and then they have all day everyday to get good etc...get inwith top dj's play big ibiza gigs etc.. while ole muggins ere struggles on minimum wage trying get by and get somewhere with this djing lark.

I'm not questining their ability or technical skill, its the sex sells thing topormote themselves in the sun i not liking, ghell I know that one who wason love island that did playboy has used the sex sells thing, hell what good looking women wont!

And I know that Rebekah didpage 3and djing n that....

I quote Lottie who when she wasstarting out used to dress as scruffy as possible no makeup etc.. to make sure she was getting booked on her ability not just because she was a girl...

I dunno, vicious circle really.

Does anyone agree with the just of what I'm on about or no?

I'm interested in all opinions.

I know Lisa Pin up was a model originally before djing and producing, I hadnt heard of her or seen her naked top half spread all over newspapers and magazines before hand though.

Random rant but I need to vent even if I am talking rubbish! :lol:

At the end of the day, women's only true power in this world is their sexuality, so it's no surprise that it is used to manipulate and achieve for their own ends.

I'm not being misogynistic - life is not fair so if I were a woman, I would do the same!

It isn't right at all really and as far as I'm concerned you can be as ridiculously attractive as you want but to be a good DJ you have to have the musical touch and ability to create an atmosphere from scratch, which I somehow doubt these busty creatures possess or will learn quickly unless they have a genuine passion for the music instead of fame.

It isn't right & I agree with Jason's point, but at the end of the day it's the way it is. There are loads of injustices within life & indeed within this industry. Fit girls without talent getting an opportunity is exactly the same kinda thing as some producers who comand huge fees & play out regularly yet cannot mix to save their lives.

Have you ever seen an unattractive top level female DJ?

I think there's quite a few actually. OK, maybe not unattractive, but certainly fairly average looking. I can't think of any that really do it for me. Tylor Leigh is about the best I think, and Lisa Lashes can actually look fairly decent when she wants to. Other than that, I can't think of any others that I find attractive.

But yeah, I agree with Jason. DJ's should break through based on talent, not how they look or how marketable they are. Kate Lawler only got where she is because of Big Brother. There are thousands of bedroom DJ's that have never played out because they can't get a gig for some reason, yet they'd be able to rock a club really well - and then you get these DJ's that have done bugger all to get where they are, yet play to good crowds every week. Its not on.

Although to be fair, its worked for male DJ's too. Boy George is one of the worst DJ's around and only gets booked as a DJ because people know his name from pop music. Fatboy Slim, although a good DJ, made his name in pop music too (originally as The Housemartins). Even Jules has a celebrity background - he went to school with Rollo & some other well known DJ (Sonique?), and his uncle is Rick Stein.

Nowadays, you have to string together a load of productions that all sound the same in order to have success.

Lets face it, DJ'ing talent doesn't really count for much now - its all about others parts of a 'package' that you can to the table with you.

Yeah these days it tends to be making a name for yourself on productions rather than how good you can mix. Eddie is probably the only DJ of recent where he is just reknown for his exceedingly top mixing.

Regardless of talent etc they're gona be a big draw, with a medium like The Sun broadcasting the fact that they are playing out they'll probably bring in a fair few punters & the appeal for promoters is solely to sell tickets.

Side note - both of em are fairly stunning :lol:

The way I would put it is that they are climbing the glamour model ladder from bottom to top ... then when they just reach the last step they hop over onto the DJ ladder but fall slightly to about halfway. They have the 'fame' tag on them (if I could call it that) but no skill or musical passion. Its those who start from the bottom of the DJ ladder and work their way up that are the respected ones.

Imagine some of us lot going to become glamour models as soon as we enter the group of big names in our business. Im sure most of us are not destined to be glamour models, as pretty as some of us may be hah ..., its just the way it is.

They won't appeal to the discerning clubber but will carry sway at chain clubs & more commercial establishments like Oceana etc where chavs & general beer boys will lap it up

They won't appeal to the discerning clubber but will carry sway at chain clubs & more commercial establishments like Oceana etc where chavs & general beer boys will lap it up

I think you've hit the nail on the head with what you've said above.

A few years ago l went to my local club and that night they had a famous boxer D'jing (l can't remember his name).

I hadn't gone there because he was playing, it was just a regular night out. Well he was useless, it was really embarrassing as all he did was prance around as if he was the best thing since sliced bread which didn't go down very well with the crowd. Also the tunes he played were crap.

As for Jules, he has always been passionate about music and has worked his way up from the bottom. I'm sure Rick Stein didn't do anything to further Jules's carear as for starters not many people knew (back then) that Rick is related to Jules.

If I could get hold of the picture then we could find out if that statement is 100% true ;):P

:o Lets just say he displayed it in Newquay (as he jumped up onto the stage) and it didn't turn me on one little bit. :lol:

Archived