Virtual DJ

simonross46

I am runing Virtual DJ v3 on my desktop and laptop. Ever since I got this software it has had this same problem, yet I feel there is probably a way to solve it with the right knowledge at hand:

I can change the BPM of the tracks (just like everything can do), yet if I do, the track will not play smoothly. It judders about ever so slightly which means that mixing tracks with adapted BPM's is literally impossible to get right, even if they are set the same on each deck. If I keep the BPM's at their original speeds then mixing is spot on and very professional. I have to keep all the tracks in my mixes at the original BPM at the moment, so if start with a track which is 138bpm, then all the rest that follow must be too :rolleyes:

I installed v5 of this programme when this issue began to push me off the edge a few years ago, and it seems to have cured the problem and mixes can be done with the BPM levels changed. I cant use this higher version though because my MP3 console only works with v3, and all of my tracks have been loaded and the data is stored on v3 too.

I know CDJ's and Vinyl are what most of you will be using, but does anyone know if I can solve this issue allowing me more choice of what I can play?

I know nothing about this software, but make sure you simply change the speed of the record to adjust its BPM, and not anything fancy like its tempo or pitch (confusingly) because this will try to keep the speed the same and this will result in significant sound distortion or 'clipping'.

The speed change would have the same effect as physically using the standard pitch change on a vinyl turntable.

The problem arises when the computer is trying to artificially keep one factor the same whilst changing the other; for instance speeding a track up whilst keeping it in the same key: it's really noticeable it's been manipulated and is one of the reasons why I dislike the "master tempo" function on CDJs when people use it; although it is useful sometimes, when used too much it's very obvious to the ear and you wonder why they are using the function.

Virtual DJ is rubbish. Thats even before you get the plugin to use Timecoded vinyl. It's often rated as one of the worst packages. I'd strongly urge you to save for either Serato Scratch Live (what i use) or Traktor Scratch (which looks friggin' awesome!). Of course you'll need some turntables (CDJ's or Technics, i use 1200's)- do you have these, i already did? You can use both without however.

I've heard Virtual DJ is very buggy also. I shouldn't really judge it as i've never used it, but so many people have told me this. If you're serious about DJing, you have to get proper kit i'm afraid.

As for the master tempo thing, it's dead easy to hear when it's being used. You get a strange "Stutter" sound on strings and keys, you can easily hear it in breakdowns. Eddie uses it quite a bit i believe.

No worries mate. In my current situation money is tight. I remember when I first started in 2005 I wanted to try something out for free and see if it was any good and if I enjoyed it. Virtual DJ was the best option I could come across and ever since I have stuck with it. CDJ's are my next plan of action, and my MP3 console can act as the mixer for them (bonus), but they are out of my financial reach and will be for some time. Driving lessons are getting the most attention at the moment, then its University ... and so on.

fair play i suppose, at least you got priorties set. When i started (10 years ago!) i had some crappy Soundlab DLP32's lol. They were awful but i learned how to mix on them. When i got Technics though i had to learn all over again!

CDJ's are well expensive. I had some, and sold them. I had CDJ 800's. They're a good piece of kit, they really are, it's just that i prefer turntables. The problem i have now is not all venues have Serato Scratch so i have to burn stuff to CD the night before.

Oh, and when you have a car, kiss goodbye to the money!!! :)

Thats one of my fears about playing in clubs ... the set-up I have wont be available in any club that I may play but would I be able to take my own stuff? Theres no way I will be able to do a top notch set on their own CDJ's cos I ahve never used them lol.

The same momey situation goes to having a missus too, so I decided to get married to driving for numerous reasons ;)

Nothing wrong with loving driving, especially abroad in a left-hand drive car, in the sun, getting lost... B)

As for clubs, generally you must be flexible enough to perform with the equipment they have, rather than the other way round. So although it's expensive if you want to play out someday you need to be very familiar with those Pioneers... because that is what they will have. I don't think there's any way round that, unless of course you're running the event yourself and you're the only DJ, you can set it up however you like!

I've not got round to purchasing any CDJs because I simply have no money to do so, but I think one day it will be essential so that when you get that call to do the gig you will never have that 'fear factor' you mentioned :)

I would really love to have a set of CDJ's, Pioneer aswell purely for the club reason. Its easy to see that in every photo of a DJ playing a set there is a CDJ1000-MK3 set-up. They are in a massive price region so on Virtual DJ I have a CDJ200 skin to provide a little bit of experience, even if its no the real thing.

In my area, the clubs probably have something along the lines of CDJ1000-MK2's or something, but being a young 17 year old lad only from round the corner, some compromise may be acceptable. Local talent at their doorstep you know ;) hehe

Moonman, I'm thinking of getting Serato actually so I can use it with my 1210's as it's so much cheaper than CDJs. Some of my mates who use it go to clubs early before they're on and plug serato into the mixer.

Moonman, I'm thinking of getting Serato actually so I can use it with my 1210's as it's so much cheaper than CDJs. Some of my mates who use it go to clubs early before they're on and plug serato into the mixer.

I've played in bars that already have the option to use Serato. I normally make enquiries first as to what they have. If not, i normally burn some CD's and just use what they've got i.e CDJ's and Technics.

I'll be honest, i couldnt be arsed to wire everything up, thats why i take the approach i do. But when a venue does have Serato (and i've noticed more and more are), i'm usually quite happy and normally, i enjoy the night more due to simply having more tunes and knowing where they all are.

As for Serato itself, i along with Judge Mental on here, i'm sure he'll agree with me and tell you how seriously good it is. You can flick to normal vinyl if you want aswell. So you can play one tune off vinyl, the other through Serato. The tracking on Serato is excellent. I've never had any garbled noises come from it. If scratching is your thing the latency is stupidly low aswell. The thing i really like about it is, it doesnt do anything for you or interfere with the way you play. There is no BPM sync function on it so you can't "cheat". It's literally just a platform to play mp3's using your turntables. The best thing is though, you know where all your tunes are. There's no routing through CD Wallets or losing CD's. You can literally type the tune in. You can use Serato with CDJ's if you so desire also.

I've used CDJ's heaps of time so i'm not worried about turning up to a club and using them. But after using Serato, they just feel kinda restricting.

There's also Traktor Scratch which also looks very good. Traktor and Serato are the "big 2" in terms of Digital Vinyl Simulation packages.

I've had CDJ's and sold them to make way for the Serato and Technics setup. And honestly, i prefer the latter. I would highly recommend Serato Scratch. Have a go on it, trust me, i bet you'll utter "it's f***ing brilliant" after you've used it.

I have heard the same thing about Virtual DJ... it's pure rubbish.

I use Final Scratch 2 (the predecessor to Traktor Scratch) and have done so since 2003. It's still rock solid and works in club venues aswell.

Before i got my 1210's, i used Traktor DJ Studio on my laptop & workstation.

before that, i used BPM Studio... not sure how far they are today, but antive Instrument's Traktor application is premium for software mixing as long as you don't have the money for decks (analog/digital).

Too right Moonman, I simply dont see why people are selling 1210's etc for CDJ's in the slightest when you can get Serato for £300.

Its never once crashed, and takes 15 secs to setup, even if you were at a club, you could even do it while the person on before you is playing, one deck at a time.

Nothing like carting about 40Gb of tunes 'just in case'. Especially when it weighs less than 20 vinyls.

Well I'd never sell my 1210's but often I've thought of saving for CDJs, but with Serato I don't really see the point in CDJs. Like moonman, if it came to it I can happily use CDJs as that's what I've been using the past few years but I'd rather have my laptop full of tunes and use vinyl and serato.

The whole serato thing looks cool, I'm not one of these who goes around saying you cant dj with computers thats cheating-yeah as much as using cd's is eh?!!

I just cant afford to fork out for a laptop and serato after just about being lucky enough to afford turntables cd players and a mixer(If I could I still dont like the using digital media thing, I still prefer reocorded media vinyl or cd!, given though If I did get on with Serato I porb would switch ha ha! I dunno stubbornessis me!)

Archived