Eddie Halliwell Presents: Fire It Up

Aza

Briggsy, not sure if you might've posted something about this as I know you're quite like me with Eddie's cds, however this fell off my radar and coincidentally came across this. It was released 5th May 2008?

There seems to be a shed load of his own edits and other shenanigans, which definately looks mental - just how much is going on there when he mixes these tunes now? :o

Anyhow - doesn't look too bad and it's on Amazon for £8 - your thoughts everyone (if you have(not) heard it)?...

5409546m.jpg

Track List

1. Deadmau5 - Arguru (Eddie's Ed-It)
  2. Eddie Williams - Gestation (Part_1)
  3. Sander Van Doorn - The Bass (Jagged Up Edit)
  4. Abel Ramos & Matt Correa - Monimonster (Robert Burns 'Burnout' Mix) (Eddie's Essential 3 Deck Ed-It)
  5. Chris Liebing - Bangbop (Eddie's Bass Loop Ed-It)
  6. Maxie Devine & Veerus - Fatline (Eddie's Layer-Ed-It)
  7. Evgeny Bardyuzha - Braindamaged (Santiago Nino Remix) (Eddie's Hot Cue Ed-It)
  8. Stoneface And Terminal - Endorphine (Original_Mix) (Eddie's Live Efx Ed-It)
  9. Andre Visior & Kay Stone - Something For Your Mind (Giuseppe Ottaviani Remix)
  10. Greg Downey - Stadium
  11. Activa - Disclosure (2007 Remake)
  12. Joint Operations Centre - Shortwave
  13. Rank 1 & Jochen Miller - And Then... (Eddie's Tech Ed-It)
  14. Sander Van Doorn - Riff
  15. Greg Downey - The Instigator - Discover Dark (Eddie's Layer Ed-It)
  16. Push - Universal Nation (Original Mix) (Eddie's Update Ed-It)
  17. Armin Van Buuren - The Sound Of Goodbye (Nic Chagall Drumbeat Re-Edit)
  18. Hertz [New Life - Part 1] Quietus (Mankind 12) (Eddie's Layer Ed-It)
  19. Reaky - Absinthe Party (Penetration Nation 002) (Eddie's Essential 3 Deck Ed-It)
  20. Timmy And Tommy - Full Tiltin (Joint Operations Mix)
  21. Ernesto Vs Bastian - Thrill (Original Mix)

I've noticed this! Looks bloody awesome. At least you know when you see a CD like this that the DJ has ACTUALLY mixed it and not Pro Tools!! I was listening to the Mixmag 'Fire it Up' (Ft. tracks such as 'False Light' & 'Advanced') CD this weekend and had contemplated posting to reminisce over that awesome piece of musical genius.

I love his edit of 'False Light' on that CD. I can hear 'More Than a Life Away' in that edit too. Not sure whether he also lays the baseline off 'Krzysztof Chochlow' onto the end of it too <_< ?

Edit: Perhaps calling the Mixmag CD an "Awesome piece of musical genius" was a bit OTT :smirk: .

There have been many mixmag cd's that are worksof musical genuious! thebest ofmixmag live, the trip and afew others going back 97/98 time were excellent! I still have them unlike many other mixmag cd's which i got rid of over the ytears.

I still have Boshed cd!

The best freebie CD was the Ministry Presents; Speed Garage Mixed By Serious Danger from 1997. This really is mixed live, you can hear the clicks and pops if you listen hard enough.

Anyway, i like Eddie, i think sometimes he's a tad overrated, but good all the same. This looks pretty good.

I missed this too - is it a UK release or an import because Eddie normally promotes his albums quite heavily.

The tunes look quite tasty, but it looks like its been edited down quite heavily - 21 tunes on a CD is far too many. Just as you get into as tune, its finishing again.

I've gotta be honest aswell - the last three times i've seen Eddie i've been quite disappointed. He's been less varied with his sets, and stuck to more Techy stuff which all sounds quite similar :(

I hate these 25 million tracks per cd, drum n bass comps are the worst in some cases 25-26 tracks per cd ,I dont care if theres 60 odd tracks over 3 cd's I want to be able to hear more than a minute per track!

Uber - start a thread dude - I love that CD too and everything you said there I completely agree with and to this day are still astounded!

I also the mix of Deeper into Marco Bailey's Krackt where he transforms the shizzle out of it. You mention the above basslines; these are everywhere especially over Randy Katana - 3 deck edits all the way!

Briggsy - yeh this is a uk release :)

I'm not sure exactly how much these would have been editted - I think he just can mix that many tunes in a cd's worth of audio!

• 3 weeks later...

not a bad cd this - but nothing on his previous efforts.

I know Edide doesn't really like mixing cd's, but the 'Boshed' CDs were definately the best. It seems these sort of cds and the Cream's he has to behave a little behind the decks...

I know there are lots of his own personal edits on this cd, but to me, this is an average cd, especially from Eddie!

I remember the Bosh! cd. There were loads of differing rumours around it. One was the scratching had to be redone after the mix as he ballsed it up. Then there's the "he never mixed it live" ones and a few rumours where he nailed it on one go. I like these rumours, you know something is cult when you start hearing this type of thing. It makes you think too.

Personally I think if Eddie messed the mix, he'd re-do the CD. The guy spent years practising and used to punch his walls in frustration when his scratching wasn't perfect so I can't see him effectively cut & pasting a CD under his name.

I Don't get the "Wasn't mixed live" claim though because:

a) If it wasn't mixed live they're implying it was done using pro-tools or similar. Is it actually possible to complete the effects on that CD using pro-tools?

B) If they actually mean live as in a club then they're correct as nowhere on the CD does it say "mixed live at Goodgreef" for example.

For a bit of trainspotting info :oddcake: , on the front cover insert Eddie makes comment about mixing CD's:

"I've always been against putting something like this down on CD. I think you have to see a DJ live to really appreciate what he or she is doing. So I've tried to give an element of what I do live, without going too far - I don't want to make it hard to listen to at home. In a club like Goodgreef or Sundissential, DJ'ing is an interactive thing. I've practised hard to develop my technical skills so I can use them to control the crowd - to really lift them if they need a boost of energy"

Without wanting to repeat what he's just said, he's hit the nail on the head. Eddie Halliwell live is an insane experience with loads of scratching, tricks etc. but on a CD that'd just be a bit full on as your usually in a car or sat at home when listening to it; excess use of tricks would mean intense listening would be required.

The firts boshed cd the scrathing bit near the end of the cd was done seperately then layred overthe ytop, I know that much.

I take it that's the bit between 'Signum - What ya Got' and 'TDV - The Dawn'? I have to say I'm surprised at that. Eddie is totally capable of scratching over a mix so why he'd fabricate it is beyond me :huh: .

I take it that's the bit between 'Signum - What ya Got' and 'TDV - The Dawn'? I have to say I'm surprised at that. Eddie is totally capable of scratching over a mix so why he'd fabricate it is beyond me :huh: .

Yeah, i was surprised too. Eddie can scratch better on Technics than he can with all that EFX jiggery pokery. There were loads of rumours surrounding this CD. I've tried looking for them on the internet but can only find links to a few. It's interesting reading but of course, completely unfounded!

I remember the Bosh! cd. There were loads of differing rumours around it. One was the scratching had to be redone after the mix as he ballsed it up. Then there's the "he never mixed it live" ones and a few rumours where he nailed it on one go. I like these rumours, you know something is cult when you start hearing this type of thing. It makes you think too.

Next Level Bosh! said it all really...

Hi this is Eddie Halliwell. I've been up for the past 24 hours mixing this cd...

That one he deffo must've ballsed up and you could just feel the energy behind the whole cd right the way through. This cd he deffo tried to mix as if it was live IMO.

The first Bosh! I believe it was simply the scratch recorded and layered over the actual CD. I think the same is for the scratching he does on other cd's as it does sound immensely complicated.

Have a listen to this sample I've taken from the latest Fire it Up album - track 16... The first bit certainly sounds manual but the rest is rinsed up with EFX and loops...

Check it out - Here is the link:

http://download.yousendit.com/0C4E635542ECC4CF

I must also add that the latter part of the CD is pretty decent in fairness!

This track is awesome and the 3rd deck tune is the legendary Frank Biazzi's Turbulence, which Eddie has absolutely rinsed in his DJ'ing career:

Reaky - Absinthe Party (Eddie's essential 3 deck ed-it)

Archived