PVD @ Slinky 06.06.08

I've only seen PvD once, which was many years ago, and he was excellent... not sure what he's like with laptops though, I'd be intrigued to find out what you think sir!

not sure what he's like with laptops though

Awful! He just bangs tunes in.

I've never really understood all the hype behind PvD anyway. Most of his productions are bland apart from Avenue, and even For An Angel is over-rated. It was a fairly average tune brought out at a time when Trance was at its peak, so its always stood out.

As a DJ, he's got worse over the years - yet his popularity has increased. Out of Armin, PvD and Tiesto, Armin p***es all over them - however, now that Ferry is playing Trance again, I reckon Armin had better watch out :D

I still can't help but imagine that if the 98-2000 era of music had been around now, what the DJ rankings would be. Given that almost no-one had the Internet, let alone a dial-up connection, it would have been fascinating. PvD and Jules were at their peaks then in my opinion and would both have vied for number 1/2 if I had any say! Although both have had other peaks later on, it'I don't think those dizzy heights will be achieved again for either DJ now, although as you say sir PvD has fared better in the polls.

I'd like to see Sir van Dyk with laptops. It's very German isn't it with all the laptops and everything, but it would be great to experience it as something different and I'm not prepared to write him off until I've seen them in action!

If we'd had the internet and everything else back in 1999, i've no doubt that Jules would have been world number 1.

Back then, he was a superb DJ - and unbeatable.

I would have predicted something along the lines of:

1. Judge Jules

2. Carl Cox

3. Sasha

4. Paul Oakenfold

5. Ferry Corsten

6. John Digweed

7. Pete Tong

If we'd had the internet and everything else back in 1999, i've no doubt that Jules would have been world number 1.

Back then, he was a superb DJ - and unbeatable.

I would have predicted something along the lines of:

1. Judge Jules

2. Carl Cox

3. Sasha

4. Paul Oakenfold

5. Ferry Corsten

6. John Digweed

7. Pete Tong

PvD would definitely be in the top ten! His Essential mixes around then and 2000 are proof of how good he was.

I definitely agree though with Jules at number 1 in 1999. It's probably the reason we'll all here on this board, because we remember it!

Well mixed feelings about this one....

Arrived at Slinky about 11pm as the event didn't start until 10 and I am never that keen to get there at the very start. As we got to the front of the small pre-paid tickets cue one of the two lads in front of us decided to empty his guts onto the pavement in front of us :ill: . He didn't look (or smell) like he'd been drinking so I assume this spontaneous event was caused by him being spangled on some form of drugs. The bouncer commented on how abnormally large his eyes were :wacko: and after some discussion about what he was on, they let him through the doors. Now I admit that during my early days of clubbing I had my fair share of drugs so I have no real objection to their use in clubs but this took the p*** a bit really. The chap was obviously in no fit state to go in but the bouncers decided he ws ok. What's the point in having door staff if they just let anyone in irrespective of their state? Very strange.

Upon entry into the Opera House we were greeted by one male and one female door staff frisking people for drugs. I approached the [rather cute] female staff member only to be told I had to go via the bloke :( . Oh well, you can but try!! Needless to say the bloke didn't even bother checking us even though my mate had a backpack on that could have had kilo's of the stuff in :confused: .

We entered to a rather full on 'warm up' set from Michael Dow. I have never seen im play before but I do like some of his releases on Digital Remedy. He was playing pretty hard seen as though he was on before PVD. I was extremely happy with his performance when he dropped 'Verdi'. Oh my god!! That's total peak time music but I was bopping so hard that my reservations over his seemingly OTT early pace went out the window. 10/10 for that one Michael :thumbsup: . Haven't heard that track since the Picotto set at Crasher in 2006.

About fifteen minutes from the end of his set PVD's ever present mate turned up to start the monster task of wiring up all PVD's equipment. Having seen PVD quite a few times since he started using Ableton, I am familiar with the mass volume of equipment required but as I can see from above a few people aren't that familiar with it so for your information I have copied his interview off the Slinky website regarding what kit he uses:

"I have two computers with me. One is a big library of audio material and runs Ableton Live. The other PC runs MainStage and includes 23 software synthesizers. I also have Midi keyboards with me so I can play a lot of things live. Then there are the sequencers which let me record something on the fly and then loop it back. All this means I can create a track right in front of the people and remix the tracks whilst I'm playing them. I can play your favourite track but it will sound some what different to what you're used to, but fit perfectly into the set."

He doesn't mention in this piece that he usually uses the M-Audio interface (I think it's the 'X-session Pro') and often sets up the Allen & Heath X-zone 3D (not sure if he brings this with him or asks the club to provide it). I couldn't really see what kit he was using at Slinky as I couldn't be bothered going upstairs especially to look from the balcony above.

I'm not going to dwell on his set as it was typical PVD wth the usual suspects in terms of tuneage. To answer the PVD questions from above, I think the way he uses Ableton and the various bits of kit he brings does work quite well and I especially like the way he manages to mix out of a break but make it sound totally amazing (guess that's down to the technology he uses). You have to give it to PVD that he knows how to work a crowd and manages the mix of banging/uplifting quite well.

Dav Gomrass finished the night off and played up until the end at 5am. Have only seen Dav a couple of times but on this occasion he really impressed me to the extent that I'd say he stole the show and outshone PVD. I always prefer when I'm at a club that if the previous DJ's played reasonably tough/hard that the final DJ cranks it up and boshes it out. Dav did exactly that!! I had to have a quick break at about 1hr to go so went upstairs to watch for a bit. The lasers at Slinky are probably the best I've seen in UK clubs and stood on the first floor balcony, they looked bloody awesome.

The last time I went to the Opera House it was the 'last Slinky ever' :lol: but onviously they are very much back in business. Since Amadeus Mozart, Richard Skaife and Darren Hurrell setup a partnership with Slinky (the previous promoter left and setup Bedbug across town) the club has been given a new birth. Inside the Opera House the layout has been altered wth all the seats on the first floor balcony ripped out to create extra bopping room upstairs and the impeding podiums downstairs removed. I am really glad they made these changes as the place feels so much more open now & your view is never blocked by people stood on them. I rate the layout at the Opera House as the best in this country as you get a good view everywhere and also it never gets too hot (Like Gods) because of the sheer size of the main room.

Tracks played (to name but a few):

Michael Dow

Mauro Picotto - Verdi

PVD

Lee Haslam - OMD

Binary Finary - 1999

PVD - Nothing But You

PVD - Time of Your Life

PVD - For an Angel

Simon Patterson - Smack

Mauro Picotto - Verdi

Dav Gomrass

Super8 & DJ Tab - Needs to Feel (Wippenberg Rmx)

Marcel Woods - Cherry Blossom

Reloop - f***ing Society

Simon Patterson - Smack

John Ocallaghan - Big Sky (Agnelli & Nelson Rmx)

The two tracks that grabbed my attention more than others are 'Reloop - f***ing Society' and 'Verdi'. I love the Reloop track and have had it on vinyl for years. It's definitely going to get a few spins this week as this has brought it into the forefront of my mind. I was intrigued by 'Verdi' as Michael Dow played the original but PVD played what sounded like a new remix. I know he remixes tracks live but it's way too much of a coincidence that teo DJ's played it on the same night. Any inside info??

All in all it was a wicked night. There were quite a few chavs in there but they weren't acting like idiots so I wasn't too upset. I do have some quality photo's and video's so will try and get them uploaded or links provided.

There's a Slinky classics night as a TDV tribute on July 25 that I want to go to but that's mainly for the hard house DJ's:

Main Room

Agnelli & Nelson, Lost Witness, Gaz White b2b Tim Lyall, Lee Haslam, Closed by Pants & Corset - Totally TDV Set

Totally TDV Room

Ian M, Superfast Oz, Kym Ayres, Velos

Since Amadeus Mozart, Richard Skaife and Darren Hurrell setup a partnership with Slinky (the previous promoter left and setup Bedbug across town) the club has been given a new birth.

Lee Haslam needs to take a lot of the credit too. He's now head of music and DJ bookings there, so its him thats putting all the line-ups together - hence why he, along with Michael Dow (one of his best mates) appear on the line-ups so often these days.

John Ocallaghan - Big Sky (Agnelli & Nelson Rmx)

I wish people would leave this tune alone now. As much as I like it, everyone is still playing it as their 'if all else fails tunes' - and its becoming quite annoying. Its too predictable and been around for about a year now - if not, longer.

"I have two computers with me. One is a big library of audio material and runs Ableton Live. The other PC runs MainStage and includes 23 software synthesizers. I also have Midi keyboards with me so I can play a lot of things live. Then there are the sequencers which let me record something on the fly and then loop it back. All this means I can create a track right in front of the people and remix the tracks whilst I'm playing them. I can play your favourite track but it will sound some what different to what you're used to, but fit perfectly into the set."

PvD made a mistake - it should have really said: ""I have two computers with me. One is a big library of audio material and runs Ableton Live. The other PC has 23 million remixes of Born Slippy, and 18 million remixes of Binary Finary's 1998. Despite these tracks being 10 years old and played to death by myself, I still continue to drop at least one, if not both, at each gig"

PvD in 2004 was easily the best DJ playing, I saw him every chance I got & he never once let me down. That was pre-ableton days mind & I haven't seen him since he made the switch.

Also for the record I've never been there once when he has dropped 'Born Slippy' or '1998' :P

I have seen PvD in 2002 with vinyls (and cds?), it was brilliant.. very good set, he even played the Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' at some point when he turnde to the more housy part of his box, and somehow it worked!

Next time it saw PvD was in 2005, and that was far from as good as in 2002. He played on his two laptops (back then it was one with Ableton and one with Serato Scratch).. plus his Midi gear (X-Zone 3D and keybpoard). One thing was the way he mixed the tracks together, totally killing the peak on many tracks... even his own. Mixing out just before the buildup of a break were peaking! then he just ("seamlessly") mixed it over to another tune's break, which went on for minutes... and before it was peaking again and he finally released it, the crowd was "relaxed" again.

In my humble opinion, all the energy a track builds up during the break or through a regular buildup, needs to be released so the crowd can go mad!! Holding it for too long just drains the crowd for the energy.

Right, back on track... one more thing i need to rant about is the 2 or 3 crashes mr. Van Dyk had on his laptops...

Imagine being on stage in front of a few thousand people and your instrument breaks.. he had to reboot at least one of his laptops twice!!! during his 2 hour set. Looking back, it might have been in his early days of using exactly that setup(Ableton/Serato/Midi), but still... before you go live, you test for stability in extreme conditions (40degree sweat-club).

That set did NOT impress me, and i could see PvD wasn't impressed either (at least when the laptop(s) went dead, the music stopped and the crowd started clapping).

I will never question his vinyl skills (check out the e-mixes from before 2002, plus the Mayday 2000 set!), but PvD on laptops have been a kinda boring experience i'm sorry to say.

Ok enough for me.. i'm busy studying :)

Good read there Sir Denmark! I still need to see PvD use laptops...

And Uberduck, that was one of the most interesting reports I've ever read on this board, lovely read sir thank you!!

Yes indeed an excellent report. Really looking forward to the pics. :D

Yeah no probs but can someone advise me how to get photo's that are 1.4mb onto here? Kinda exceeds the 500k limit. I remember someone saying before to use a program to compress them but cannot remember which.

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

That gives a good idea of the layout to anyone that hasn't been to the Opera House before. I have some cool video's so I'll try and sort those asap. The decoration at Slinky is much improved since the re-launch.

The first four photo's are taken from the right of the DJ booth (top right hand corner of photo 5)

:D

Yeah I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. I've been going there since I started at uni in 2001. Obviously I live in the Midlands now but make the effort to go down for good lineups. Hopefully going to the classics night on July 25th.

I'd rate the Opera House as the best club layout I've seen in this country. I've never been to Turnmills & I hear that gets good reviews but compared to Crasher (before it was incinerated) or Gods, it totally creams on them. You never got too hot either as it's so open & spacious. There used to be podiums on the ground floor near the DJ booth but they've removed them since the place was refurbished. A great improvement as they used to be so imposing and blocked the view behind them. The removal of all the seats on the first floor is wicked too as too many people used to go & mong up there all night but now if you look up, loads of people are bopping up there instead.

Archived