Dave Pearce on Dance Anthems

Briggsy

Just listening to Dave Pearce's radio show for the first time in ages - he's playing some quality new melodic Trance tunes. Cheese-free, and really energetic. I thought i'd given up on this kind of stuff because i've not heard anything this good for ages - so I switched to Tech-Trance, but this is one of the best shows i've heard for ages. It p***es all over Jules shows!

Does anyone else think Dave Pearce gets a lot of stick that he doesn't deserve? I saw him at three festivals last year, and once in a club earlier in the year, and all three times he was superb - much better than a lot of the A-listers that were on the same line-ups.

He gets a lot of harsh criticism, but I rate him as a DJ to be honest. Everyone associates him with cheesy tunes, but in the clubs, he plays some really credible tunes that a lot of other DJ's aren't supporting. I like the way he supports small, obscure, foreign labels that the likes of PvD, Armin, etc haven't picked up on.

His show was exceptionally good tonight.

I think it's a shame about his reputation, and it's all down to his old 'dance anthems' show which got very tedious and put me off a lot of anthems... Let alone dropping Dj Sammy tunes on countless occasions. His new slot is miles better and we can actually get a picture of what he actually plays in clubs! Good stuff!

I've never understood why Dave Pearce comes in for stick. Okay, his mixing isnt the best, but then, live, is anyones THAT great? The Dance Anthems show has been a bit of a double edged sword for him. It's made him a well known name in club circles, but given him that unshakable "cheesy anthems" reputation.

Whats letting Jules down at the minute is his insistence on playing those horrible mashups. Why oh why he feels the need to play these i'll never know.

As an aside, i listened to Pete Tong tonight, he really is coming into his own right now, the last 2-3 months he has been very consistent. He's playing some great stuff right now. Another very very good show from him tonight, Carl Cox was the icing on the cake.

Another thing that annoys me is the lack of respect that other DJ's show towards Dave Pearce. At Escape Into The Park last year, Adam Sheridan didn't shake hands with him or anything when they swapped over, and Matt Hardwick didn't seem to acknowledge him either. Its not as though Dave is arrogant - he really is one of the nicest DJ's on the circuit. His interview last year was the best ever - i'm sure he'd still be there letting me ask him questions now - he loves his job so much and is so enthusiastic.

to be honest, every time i've seen Adam Sheridan play he's always been po faced. He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself. He has no personality when he plays. He has no showmanship about him.

I agree entirely. He always looks a miserable sod and that reflects in his sets - most of the time, they're as boring as hell. The only time i've heard a good set was at Escape Into The Park last year. He was very good there - but thats about it.

I've never understood why Dave Pearce comes in for stick. Okay, his mixing isnt the best, but then, live, is anyones THAT great?

Surely mixing live is what matters? Pearce's mixing on occasion is easily the worst (aside from Oakey) I've heard & to be fair if I pay the kind of entrance fee to go to a club I expect a certain level of professionalism. There are plenty of DJs that mix flawlessly live

In my experience, Mr Halliwell is by the far the best I have seen / heard live...

Agree with all the above about Dave thought and Briggsy that interview you did was superb; it sounded as if it went perfectly and Dave certainly helped a great deal there by being great to interview.

Dance Anthems has dented his reputation; futhermore, he has also mixed some CDs I bet he is not proud of, but that is probably because of the bunce.

On the other hand he has mixed some awesome CDS; Transcendetal and Total 'Euphoria' to name but a few of the earlier ones :)

Surely mixing live is what matters? Pearce's mixing on occasion is easily the worst (aside from Oakey) I've heard & to be fair if I pay the kind of entrance fee to go to a club I expect a certain level of professionalism. There are plenty of DJs that mix flawlessly live

Hmm i'd strongly disagree with this comment. I go out to hear tunes, and hear them loud. I also go out for the atmosphere. Now, i'd rather have a DJ playing good tunes buiding a good atmosphere with the odd slip in his mixing here and there, rather than playing boring tunes which they only mix together because they are seamless (usually the tunes are just filler). If flawless mixing was what its all about then surely DJ's would just be using Traktor Scratch and using the BPM sync feature (which really does work) or Ableton Live? But when DJ's do use this people moan about it - even though the mixing is flawless!!! The odd bit of dodgy mixing is what gives it that human error element.

The big names i've heard live, their mixing hasn't been reflective of what its like on the radio or a mix CD. It never will be either. The only exception was Axwell who i heard last year.

Also, what the beef with Dance Anthems? IT introduces youngsters to the scene by enticing them in via the big tunes. Also, lets be honest guys, if you were offered this stint, gigging every weekend and making a living of your main passion - you'd take it - I would!

Hmm i'd strongly disagree with this comment. I go out to hear tunes, and hear them loud. I also go out for the atmosphere. Now, i'd rather have a DJ playing good tunes buiding a good atmosphere with the odd slip in his mixing here and there, rather than playing boring tunes which they only mix together because they are seamless (usually the tunes are just filler). If flawless mixing was what its all about then surely DJ's would just be using Traktor Scratch and using the BPM sync feature (which really does work) or Ableton Live? But when DJ's do use this people moan about it - even though the mixing is flawless!!! The odd bit of dodgy mixing is what gives it that human error element.

The big names i've heard live, their mixing hasn't been reflective of what its like on the radio or a mix CD. It never will be either. The only exception was Axwell who i heard last year.

Also, what the beef with Dance Anthems? IT introduces youngsters to the scene by enticing them in via the big tunes. Also, lets be honest guys, if you were offered this stint, gigging every weekend and making a living of your main passion - you'd take it - I would!

I've got no beef with dance anthems, I just don't listen to it.

For DJs to command the kind of fees that they do it shouldn't be about one or the other in terms of mixing/tune selection, if you're a professional you should be 100% competant with both. It's kind of the requisite for being a pro DJ in my book. A large number of people could select the correct tunes to play but if they don't mix them properly then I don't think they're doing a very good job

I've never understood why Dave Pearce comes in for stick. Okay, his mixing isnt the best, but then, live, is anyones THAT great? The Dance Anthems show has been a bit of a double edged sword for him. It's made him a well known name in club circles, but given him that unshakable "cheesy anthems" reputation.

Whats letting Jules down at the minute is his insistence on playing those horrible mashups. Why oh why he feels the need to play these i'll never know.

As an aside, i listened to Pete Tong tonight, he really is coming into his own right now, the last 2-3 months he has been very consistent. He's playing some great stuff right now. Another very very good show from him tonight, Carl Cox was the icing on the cake.

Right, I'm not trying to be harsh here, but as I said in that other thread, I'm hungover as fooook.

Most of you guys need a swift kick up the arse for this kinda thread. How in God's name can you stick up for Dave Pearce???? He's a complete and utter tool that gets paid rather well for doing what any other dj could do with their eyes shut. He canny mix to save his life, an anthem basher, and might have recently played stuff that is out of the top f***ing 10. Bare in mind he gets sent all this stuff for free, so WOW! he can play a tune someone else isnt for 7 mins. He still plays Delerium - Silence, as he did when I laughed at him in 2000 when he f***ed up my New Years Eve almost as much as David Morales. (It was free and in George Square.) But come on. I bet you can guess the tracklisting.

He actually looks as if he's going to s*** his pants when he's djing, as he's so crap, I just cant make sense of the fact that some of you think this is worth paying for.

I used to like all this trancey nonsense, but you lot sticking up for dave fecking pearce reminds me why I like stuff that actually pushes outside the boundaries of 1999, and why Eddie Halliwell is pish, and even then you stick up for fat one dave.

Ever tried mixing for more than 2 songs? Its easy as f***! And you pay these people!

I'll come on later after work and show you what I mean, but this thread reeks of clutching on from crap from the past. And I bet any of you that can touch a record can give me a better listening experince on ye olde 1's and 2's.

Move on people. In the nicest way possible. I was so stuck in the past, but give something else a chance too, you might even end up liking it.

I enjoyed that B) Off to work now :(

Release the hounds.

But come on t

Dave Pearce commands the pay he does because he can fill places up. Billy Bedroom can't. Dave Pearce didnt have it handed to him on a plate either. He worked his way up like most of the current crop of DJ's have. If he can command that fee then so be it, if i was him i would be too - anyone who says they wouldnt are lying.

I guess on the mixing front we are going to have to agree to disagree. I've heard countless times DJ's saying that mixing isnt really that important - its giving the crowd what they want, at the end of the day, thats what you're there for and what you are paid to do. To gauge whether or not a DJ is good on the length of time he can hold a beatmix for is wrong. I used to have an annoying mate who used to come Crasher with us and he would always point out when the mixing started to drift or whatever - it got annoying very quick - like he expected it to be stupidly clinical.

I have moved on from the trance sound now. I'm more house these days. I just feel that the Dave Pearce bashing is boring, predictable and tired now.

Some vaild points, but surely the ability to mix and select and play good tunes is what most DJ's should be doing as a standard. I think if you just put on good tunes then to be honest, you're sh!t...

The local DJ in Walkabout can whack any any tune to get the crowd going, mixing it or whatever is another thing and sometime when they even do try to have ago and it sounds sh!t it kills the moment and you think WTF is that noise?

I love it when you hear a song and think crikey this is long and without knowing 3 tracks have been mixed :)

Put yourself in the big names positions.

If you were provided with all the latest new tunes for free

If you were being payed a grand or more for a two hour set

What would you do?

Things have changed through the evolution of night clubs dance music and the role of the DJ, go back to the 70's Larry levan wasnt the best beat matcher or mixer in the world but look what an impact he made in the Paradise Garage! it was his programming that people flocked to<

these days with ableton and all that about the emphasis is on perfect beat matching fluid mixing etc.and thats fair enough, all the big names are on more than a grand per 2 hour set youd expect nothing but perfection from them, but.... are they any good?orare they just banging out boring sets? its the whole package yes.

Do Jules and co really need to be paid what the are? are they really doing it for the love or the money? its absolute madness....

thats my random gibberish for ya! :lol:

I love it when you hear a song and think crikey this is long and without knowing 3 tracks have been mixed :)

It is exactly that which I set out to achieve each time and its extremely difficult to do so. I feel a good DJ has to be good all round ... the crowds want a full package, not someone who terribly mixes good tunes or can simply beatmatch a boring set. Ibelieve people prefer a DJ who can do it all.

As for the whole Dave Pearce good/bad DJ discussion, I am put off by the 'Dance Anthems' tag he has given himself. I am not really a fan of classics in the first place because I purely like more recent stuff. There is always a CD on the shelves for classic dance tracks and its normally the same stuff everytime. They get very dull and tedious for me personally, so to have a DJ who simply plays the same tunes as the CD's does not appeal, and then he releases CD's which are virtually identitcal anyway.

Another point that I have always believed is that a DJ is supposed to keep up to date with the constant flow of new tunes? Many of us can whip up a set of old tunes, and we know many people will enjoy them because after all they are 'classics' but that seems a very cheap and easy way to satisfy the crowds. If a DJ can work out if a brand new tune will go down well, and it does, then that is more of an achievement surely.

I have not made an effort to listen to him more recently because I currently have this reputation clouding his ability. It is probably wise to check him out again since many of you explain how he is taking a more Trance style and becoming more unique ... but I will always remember him as the classics DJ who never appealed to me.

I hope you enjoyed this novel, it will be released on both hardback and paperback shortly ;)

I agree with most of what Judge Mental said, I see no reason why we should celebrate someone who is mediocre when there are DJs a million times better who get little or no regard.

I understand that he sells tickets & that's the harsh reality of life but it still p***es me off

Most of you guys need a swift kick up the arse for this kinda thread. How in God's name can you stick up for Dave Pearce???? He's a complete and utter tool that gets paid rather well for doing what any other dj could do with their eyes shut. He canny mix to save his life, an anthem basher, and might have recently played stuff that is out of the top f***ing 10. Bare in mind he gets sent all this stuff for free, so WOW! he can play a tune someone else isnt for 7 mins. He still plays Delerium - Silence, as he did when I laughed at him in 2000 when he f***ed up my New Years Eve almost as much as David Morales. (It was free and in George Square.) But come on. I bet you can guess the tracklisting.

You don't half talk some right bollocks at times. Your reply is the perfect example of a 'Dave Pearce basher' - someone that likes to knock him, even thought its blatantly obvious you've heard one set and written him off.

Dave Pearce has two sides to him - he has the 'Dance Anthems' side, where he plays, ironically, dance anthems - ie, like his recent tours across the country at various Luminar Leisure clubs. These gigs are clearly listed as such, and then you can expect to hear him play tunes such as Storm - Time To Burn, Art Of Trance - Madagascar, and yes, even Delerium - Silence. Then he has his serious side too - where he plays credible trance tunes and DOESN'T play Delerium - Silence. I saw him three times last year, and each time he played really good tunes such as Signum - Push Through, Tiesto - Lethal Industry (Richard Durand Remix), Bedrock - Heaven Scent (Greg Downey Remix), Liquid Child - Diving Faces, etc.

As for free tunes, well, funnily enough, every pro DJ's gets sent them to play to the masses - so that must make them all 'complete and utter tools' too? OK, so his mixing isn't the greatest - but who cares? Tiesto is former world number 1, and guess what - his mixing shocking at times. Paul Oakenfold is also former world number 1 - guess what, his mixing is the worst you'll ever hear! The only difference is, Tiesto and Oakie are earning ludicrous DJ fee's - Dave Pearce isn't. Tiesto and Oakie think they're gods gift to the world of DJ'ing, Dave Pearce doesn't. Tiesto and Oakie also demand over-the-top DJ riders, Dave Pearce doesn't.

As for his CD's - again, like his DJ'ing, there are two sides to him. There's 'Dance Anthems' CD's, where the same old classics are mixed together and released. Dave Pearce mixes them on behalf of a label that pays him to use his name. Then there are his serious CD's. Now, as Dave said in his interview with me last year, he released his 'Delerium' CD's because it gave him the opportunity to choose the tracks and mix them in the order that he wants, instead of being told what to play, and where, by a label. His Delerium CD's give him total control. Last years Delerium CD was really good, free from cheesy anthems, and had some really good tunes on it (Kirsty Hawkshaw & Tenishia - Outsiders, Sean Tyas - Pacifier, Simon Patterson - Strip Search, Airbase - Medusa, Cosmic Gate - Analog Feel, etc) - NO Delerium - Silence or any other 'dance anthems'.

Another thing with Dave Pearce is that he doesn't claim to be a world-class DJ. He made his name through radio, and via that, built up a fan base from listeners to his show. From there on, he got club bookings, and then that radio fan base turned up to see him play at the clubs. He's not in the DJ Mag top 100, he doesn't charge a ludicrous fee, and that is reflected in ticket prices when you go to see him. You can see Dave Pearce in a club for around £8. If you go to see Tiesto, you can expect to pay £30 minimum. The difference is, Dave Pearce has never let me down, whereas Tiesto has - on more than one occasion.

Dave Pearce may not mix like Sasha, but I don't go out to hear silky smooth mixing - i'm going out to enjoy myself, not to nit-pick DJ's abilities. Besides, there are silky smooth mixers out there that are as boring as hell. I go out to listen to energetic mixes, good tunes and to be entertained - and Dave Pearce does that for me. I've seen so many bigger DJ's that have let me down so many times becayuse they've been boring. Its not all about mixing. The best mixer in the world isn't good enough if his tunes are dull. Unfortunately, there's a lot of DJ's out there that play dull tunes.

Not singling you out here mate, just that you made a point on most of the stuff I said and giving my opinion on yours as it covers pretty much all angles so far :)

Plus its an interesting discussion, and I'm not Dave Pearce bashing, it covers a rather large amount of djs to a certain extent. And the TV is rather bad at this time of the morning and I've just finished work. Pretty much everything I've read here is a valid point, and theres a lot of different outlooks, anyways, here goes :)

You don't half talk some right bollocks at times.

True, but I reckon I have fairly valid points here.

Your reply is the perfect example of a 'Dave Pearce basher' - someone that likes to knock him, even thought its blatantly obvious you've heard one set and written him off.

Actually seen him live 4 times, at that George Square NYE night, Gatecrasher SS, Creamfields, and a night up here for a mate's birthday or something similar, as well as hearing his show in the kitchen loads of times over the years as Radio 1's usually on all day. He doesn't mix on the show, canny mind that guy's name but he does it, albeit Dave picks the tunes as far as I know. I don't think I heard a tune I didn't know the name of and could have played at home any day of the week instead once, or actually seen someone I wanted to

Dave Pearce has two sides to him - he has the 'Dance Anthems' side, where he plays, ironically, dance anthems - ie, like his recent tours across the country at various Luminar Leisure clubs. These gigs are clearly listed as such, and then you can expect to hear him play tunes such as Storm - Time To Burn, Art Of Trance - Madagascar, and yes, even Delerium - Silence. Then he has his serious side too - where he plays credible trance tunes and DOESN'T play Delerium - Silence. I saw him three times last year, and each time he played really good tunes such as Signum - Push Through, Tiesto - Lethal Industry (Richard Durand Remix), Bedrock - Heaven Scent (Greg Downey Remix), Liquid Child - Diving Faces, etc.

Every tune you named there is either an 'anthem' or a remix of one, thats hardly groundbreaking, as most dj's in s***y clubs will play them, or at least they do up here, its an easy cop out and shows no skill. Have you seriously ever heard him play a tune you didn't know the name of, or found out easily?

As for free tunes, well, funnily enough, every pro DJ's gets sent them to play to the masses - so that must make them all 'complete and utter tools' too? OK, so his mixing isn't the greatest - but who cares?

Nah that was badly put across I admit, and I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but I fail to see how playing all the biggest tunes at the time makes him any better than me doing a trance set purely made up of the top 10 trance tunes on beatport, then checking the top bought tunes ever sold on Juno. I know for a fact I can mix better ;)

You seriously can't say there's any structure or 'programming' as people like to say to anything he plays out.

Tiesto is former world number 1, and guess what - his mixing shocking at times. Paul Oakenfold is also former world number 1 - guess what, his mixing is the worst you'll ever hear! The only difference is, Tiesto and Oakie are earning ludicrous DJ fee's - Dave Pearce isn't. Tiesto and Oakie think they're gods gift to the world of DJ'ing, Dave Pearce doesn't. Tiesto and Oakie also demand over-the-top DJ riders, Dave Pearce doesn't.

This is my favourite bit. This whole 'number 1 dj' thing is an absolute farce. It means absoluteley foooook all, and is a clear indication that the majority of folk who actually feel the need to vote have never ventured outside their safety net of what they've been told is good. They're riding on their success from marketing, and these daft polls, I just had a look at the top 100 there, its hilarious. Danny Rampling is in it and he doesn't even dj anymore :D

This isn't about Dave by the way, just a side note about how funny I think that poll is and how people try to justify it. Fair enough if they are number 1 then people are voting for them, but my point is that people only think Dave, Tiesto and most trance djs in general because they haven't really given other types of music a chance, just whats popular at the time. Why do so many people start of on trance and get bored of it. It just doesnt happen the other way round. Damn I'm going miles off track here. I'd be here til next week if I explained my thoughts properly there.

You can see Dave Pearce in a club for around £8. If you go to see Tiesto, you can expect to pay £30 minimum

Glasgow is extortionate and you can still see top quality dj's that are world wide renowned for a fiver week in week out. Dave Pearce isn't in that top 100 cos he's crap and besides your "oi oi" beerboy with no imagination fanbase, isn't taken seriously for that very reason. If you pay £30 to see Tiesto or £8 to see Dave Pearce you need your head checked.

Dave Pearce may not mix like Sasha, but I don't go out to hear silky smooth mixing - i'm going out to enjoy myself, not to nit-pick DJ's abilities. Besides, there are silky smooth mixers out there that are as boring as hell.

You should try it though, seeing people who actually have talent is even better! Seeing boring dj's is worse, but there's that much to choose from if you expand your mind a little then you don't have to rely on cheese fodder from 9 years ago or boring djs.

I know this might all sound like pretentious bulls*** and that I'm only saying it cos Richie Hawtin said I could lick his balls if I wrote it, but they're purely my opinions and I'm only speaking from lots of experience, and its always a good discussion on here.

Its not that I dislike the music, I used to listen to it 'back int day' religiously, but I honestly think if I'd gave other music a proper chance back then I'd have had a more diverse taste an awful lot sooner, and almost regret not doing it.

Once again Briggsy that wasn't an attack on you in the slightest, I'm discussing not arguing and that was quotable. Thats probably enough for tonight :D Discuss.

I think Briggsy has pretty much said what i have said. I fully agree with him on this occasion.

What makes me laugh time and time again is when a DJ mixes a set flawlessly using ableton, then people slam it saying "oh he couldn't mix like that without ableton live"...well of course not - these people that guage how good a DJ is on the basis of how long a DJ can hold a beatmix for, it's all wrong - so DJ x can hold a mix for 4 minutes, of course, that makes him better than Dave Pearce. Does that really make a good DJ? If so, i'm buying Ableton tomorrow.

I dont go out to hear seamless mixing, i go out to hear a dj play good tunes and create an atmosphere. If i wanted to hear world class mixing, i'd go to the DMC's or listen to 2 Many DJ's to be honest. Because frankly, they can mix tunes far more seamlessly than any house dj could. House dj's are stuck in the "if i cant beatmatch it i wont mix it" frame of mind.

I would like to think Judge Mental has heard Dave Pearce in full on upfront mode in a club when not doing a "Dance Anthems tour", but i doubt he has, by way of mentioning seeing him in 2000 simply highlights this. He's simply another one of the "I like Richie Hawtin/M_nus records/minimal, therefore i'm trendier/better than you" brigade. Well, no you aren't. I feel this has to be said.

Dave Pearce sells tickets, yes he does. At the end of the day this IS A BUSINESS - i'd love some of the gigs Dave Pearce gets, i'd even sacrifice my musical integrity for them truth be told. People and promoters are in this to make money. Yes its a sad fact of life but it is FACT. No one wants to hear Billy Bedroom DJ mixing boring prog seamlessly, when they can hear someone mixing banging tunes that move a floor with a little bit of "drifting" in their mixing. Take for example Kutski, far better technically than 99.9% of dj's, but because he's hardstyle, he gets overlooked. It this mindset that frankly p***es me of with electronica.

I think we are losing the point of what dance music is all about here people....

Also, WE ARE REFFERRING TO DAVE PEARCES CURRENT SOUND, NOT THE SOUND HE PLAYED 9 YEARS AGO!!! Has anyone checked his latest radio 1 half hour mix on Radio 1? (for example) Those tunes were not around 9 years ago?!?

I would like to think Judge Mental has heard Dave Pearce in full on upfront mode in a club when not doing a "Dance Anthems tour", but i doubt he has, by way of mentioning seeing him in 2000 simply highlights this. He's simply another one of the "I like Richie Hawtin/M_nus records/minimal, therefore i'm trendier/better than you" brigade. Well, no you aren't. I feel this has to be said.

I feel it doesn't in the slightest, and go further and say that if you think richie hawtin / Minus / minimal is any sort of percentage of the stuff I listen to you'd be absolutely miles off and is a much bigger presumption than aaanything I've wrote on here.

And to be honest if you seriously think I'm trying to look cool by and pigeon holing me its a bit of an insult. I've hardly ever said anything on here about my thoughts on music really, and I'm not here to wind anyone up. But come on to f***, I've been into dance music and clubbing since I heard KLF - 3am eternal waaaay back when, if you think I'm on somesort of bandwagon you're very much mistaken.

Thought this was funny though: :huh:

i'd love some of the gigs Dave Pearce gets, i'd even sacrifice my musical integrity for them truth be told
I think we are losing the point of what dance music is all about here people...
People and promoters are in this to make money.
I think we are losing the point of what dance music is all about here people....

Made my point way better than I could, cheers B)

Every tune you named there is either an 'anthem' or a remix of one, thats hardly groundbreaking, as most dj's in s***y clubs will play them, or at least they do up here, its an easy cop out and shows no skill. Have you seriously ever heard him play a tune you didn't know the name of, or found out easily?

So how does playing a 'smaller' tune show more skill? My style also consists of mainly 'big' tunes - does that mean that i'll suddenly become more skillful if I play 'smaller' tunes? I don't really get how the tunes you play reflects on your skill level.

but I fail to see how playing all the biggest tunes at the time makes him any better than me doing a trance set purely made up of the top 10 trance tunes on beatport, then checking the top bought tunes ever sold on Juno.

But this thread wasn't aout him being better than anyone - we all know he's not the most skillful DJ in the world. Armin isn't going to s*** himself at the thought of Dave Pearce knocking him off the number 1 spot because its never gonna happen. The thread was about Dave Pearce getting a lot of stick which is often unjustified. He's not as bad as people make out. To be honest, i'd rather listen to a set mixed sloppily by Dave Pearce, than a right yawnfest of dull tunes with silky smooth mixing by Sasha. I go out dressed in normal clothes, to be entertained, not in my anorak to analyse how many slipped beats i've heard.

This is my favourite bit. This whole 'number 1 dj' thing is an absolute farce. It means absoluteley foooook all

Agreed! Its a popularity contest. We all know that PvD, Oakie, Tiesto and Armin aren't the best DJ's in the world. Nowhere near. When it comes to all-round technical ability, then you'd be looking at Sasha, Carl Cox, Dave Clarke and possibly Eddie Halliwell in the top 5 DJ's.

It makes me laugh when you've got someone like PvD, who bangs everything in with Ableton, ahead of someone that is technically brilliant such as Dave Clarke.

Why do so many people start of on trance and get bored of it. It just doesnt happen the other way round.

I disagree there. If people start off on a genre, get bored of it, and then move to another genre, then they couldn't have really been too keen on that genre from the start - they didn't get into it through love of the music. I got into Trance in 1999, when it was at its peak, and even through its tough times around 2002ish, I still loved it. I like other genres too (Techno and a bit of funky House), but Trance will always be my main style. Too many people go with 'what's cool' - and in my opinion, they're into DJ'ing for the wrong reasons. A lot of people loved Trance in 1999 because it was at its best then, then when Hard House became the in-thing around 2001, people switched to that, now everyone has jumped on the Electro bandwagon. It sounds gash, but everything thinks 'its cool', so they've all jumped on the 'yeah, i wanna be cool too' bandwagon. When Electro loses its appeal, they'll move on again. They're DJ'ing for their ego, not for their love of music. 'll be playing Trance until Trance dies - and then when it does, i'll move to Techno - because that's another genre I love, regardless of whether its 'cool' or not.

As for it happening the other way round - well, plenty of people have come into Trance from other genres. Matt Hardwick started off as a House DJ, but came into Trance. Dave Pearce was a hip-hop DJ but came into Trance. Eddie Halliwell started as a Hard House DJ but moved over to Trance, and more recently, over the last 12 months, Lee Haslam has moved from Hard House to Trance.

I feel it doesn't in the slightest, and go further and say that if you think richie hawtin / Minus / minimal is any sort of percentage of the stuff I listen to you'd be absolutely miles off and is a much bigger presumption than aaanything I've wrote on here.

What, like presuming Dave Pearce plays "The Silence" at every gig? Or those that listen to Dave Pearce tend to be of the "oi oi" beerboy with no imagination fanbase? Your words not mine. I am not an "Oi Oi beerboy with no imagination" thank you very much. If anyone should be insulted, it should be me, because i will actually listen to Dave Pearce if he's playing or on the bill at a festival or whatever. So, i'm adapting the way i put messages, in this thread they are in the same vein in which you put them. Don't go editing that "Oi Oi Beerboy" comment either :smirk:

And to be honest if you seriously think I'm trying to look cool by and pigeon holing me its a bit of an insult. I've hardly ever said anything on here about my thoughts on music really, and I'm not here to wind anyone up. But come on to f***, I've been into dance music and clubbing since I heard KLF - 3am eternal waaaay back when, if you think I'm on somesort of bandwagon you're very much mistaken.

You've already name dropped Richie Hawtin before i even referenced it. Point proven methinks.

Also, Judge Mental, i said i'd sacrifice musical integrity and play cheese in big gigs. Well i stand by it, i would, at the end of the day its big money. If that big money allowed me to play smaller more underground gigs, then so be it - Yes Dave Pearce does do the "Dance Anthems Tour" in the luminars, but he also plays more credible clubs too. I'd do it. It'd also mean i could make a living of something that i truly love doing. So you're really telling me you wouldn't take £2000 or whatever for 2 hour anthems set? If you say no, i'dfind it hard to believe you, i know i would and so would a lot of other people. This is a business. Think about, would you rather play the gigs Dave Pearce gets and take the money, or would you rather remain in you're current position? I know that i'd take the gigs Pearce gets in a heartbeat.

Has anyone noticed that if PVD does an anthems or "retrospective" set no one bats an eyelid, but when it's Dave Pearce the lynch mob are out.

Anyway, just somehtings to think about :)

Archived