Richard Durand , Colourfest, 14-06-2008, BBC Radio1 Essential Mix

Moonman

RICHARD DURAND RADIO 1 ESSENTIAL MIX - COLOURSFEST, 14-06-2008 enjoy. I know a few peeps here like Richard Durand, as do i. However, i was slightly disappointed by this mix. Not up to his usual high standard.

Tracklistski;

01. Art Of Trance - Madagascar with Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl with Blur - Song 2 (Richard Durand Bootleg)

02. Ernesto & Bastian - Super Jupiter with Planet Funk - Chase The Sun

03. Richard Durand - Weep (Dub Mix)

04. Veracocha - Carte Blanche (Richard Durand Rework)

05. Audio Bullys - We Don't Care (Richard Durand Rework)

06. Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (Richard Durand Rework)

07. Richard Durand - Cha Cha

08. Alex O'Rion - Release The Beast

09. Ronald van Gelderen - Embrace Me (Richard Durand Remix)

10. Orjan - Artic Globe

11. Way Out West - The Fall (Richard Durand Rework) with Prodigy Smack My Bitch Up (Richard Durand Rework)

12. U2 - Beautiful Day (Pascal Feliz Rework)

I'm a huge fan of Durand - but I wasn't keen on this either. I thought some of his three-deck overlapping of elements from other tunes didn't really work.

I think he tried to hard to impress with it being an essential mix - and the pressure made him c**k-up.

Definately the weakest mix i've heard from him.

I can appreciate the pressure of the Essential Mix show though. It's an institution. For most DJ's its the general acceptance to having "made it" as a pro DJ and it is world renown. Can you imagine the possiblity of the whole world hearing you!

That said though, the Ronald Van Gelderen "Embrace Me" remix is fantastic! and a nice rework of U2.

Durands bootlegs are stupidly good. He almost recreates some elements of them. This is how i like bootlegs to be made.

Durands bootlegs are stupidly good. He almost recreates some elements of them. This is how i like bootlegs to be made.

I agree! His bootleg of Smack My Bitch Up is one of the best bootlegs i've ever heard. I like his Madagascar bootleg too.

His booty of Born Slippy is nice too, despite their being 145,980,906 remixes out there.

*** Edit; I keep listening to this purely for the Audio Bullys "We Dont Care" remix (which is bloody immense) and i have to say, this is actually growing on me, this set. From the crowd noise he does actually rock the place. Glad i got this now!

*** Edit; I keep listening to this purely for the Audio Bullys "We Dont Care" remix (which is bloody immense) and i have to say, this is actually growing on me, this set. From the crowd noise he does actually rock the place. Glad i got this now!

I agree with regards to the crowd. The only DJ i've seen get a crowd going so much is Eddie Halliwell - yet the Matt Hardwick board still seem ti think 'Durand is s*** and can't mix' - even though is beatmatching is always spot on, and he has three or four decks on the go at the same time. Actually, the Matt Hardwick board think everyone is s*** unless they play melodic stuff, or its someone they all arselick.

There's too much self promotion within this mix. It would have been much better if he hadn't just played his own material all the time. It suggests he doesn't want to support other really good tracks and producers out there, plus, it's the weakest trance E Mix I've heard in a long time. Pity because he's a good talent.

There's too much self promotion within this mix. It would have been much better if he hadn't just played his own material all the time.

A lot of people say this about Richard Durand - but he's always stated that he only plays his own material in sets - with the odd one or two other tunes from other artists thrown in for good measure. He's like a live act (like Giuseppe Ottaviani, K90, etc) - only he uses decks rather than studio equipment.

This is why he also remixes so many tunes (which he also gets criticism for) - but most of the time, they're never intended for release. 95% of bootlegs that Richard Durand does are for his own sets, and will never see the light of day.

A lot of people say this about Richard Durand - but he's always stated that he only plays his own material in sets - with the odd one or two other tunes from other artists thrown in for good measure. He's like a live act (like Giuseppe Ottaviani, K90, etc) - only he uses decks rather than studio equipment.

This is why he also remixes so many tunes (which he also gets criticism for) - but most of the time, they're never intended for release. 95% of bootlegs that Richard Durand does are for his own sets, and will never see the light of day.

he'll only have a short shelf life if thats the case...

he'll only have a short shelf life if thats the case...

Possibly, but at least during that short lifetime, he's ten times better than the hugely over-rated Giuseppe Ottaviani and Second Sun. Godskitchen insist on booking them as live acts, even though they're continually boring - and they're ignoring Durand.

to be honest, i thought Durand dumped on Van Dyk's hour...from a great height too!

Van Dyk is crap anyway. I don't know why people rate him so highly. Former world number 1?! All he does is bang tunes in using Ableton without mixing, and his sets are very random. He also plays Born Slippy or Binary Finary - 1998 at nearly every gig too.

the Matt Hardwick board still seem ti think 'Durand is s*** and can't mix' - even though is beatmatching is always spot on, and he has three or four decks on the go at the same time. Actually, the Matt Hardwick board think everyone is s*** unless they play melodic stuff, or its someone they all arselick.

Fair generalisation there mate, needs putting into context really though, I mean it is the Matt Hardwick forum & Matt Hardwick does tend to play melodic trance, which is pretty far removed from Durrand's style.

It's like saying that Panic At The Disco get a bad rep on a Metallica forum :rolleyes:

(Maybe not quite that contrasting :lol:)

I do find the Matt Hardwick board bunch do talk a lot of rubbish at times though. When one person says a DJ is good, they all seem to jump on the bandwagon, and if someone else says someone is bad, then they all turn on that DJ too.

Its a nice friendly forum, but a large percantage on there are an odd bunch.

I do like the Hardwick form, I think it's my second most used forum after this one (though I'm a full 2500 posts behind there ;)) a lot of the people are affable & into their clubbing, it amazes me how often they get on it.

Has been good meeting a fair few of them over the past year or so

Archived