Help! advice on mp3 recorders

lennox2s2s

I was just wondering if there was any portable mp3 recorders available to buy? I think that you can buy an Ikey from gemini but I have never heard any reports on there performance or there advantages/disadvantages..

One more question, what is the best way to convert mini discs to mp3, I used to connect the mini disc player to computer through analogue cable and record using sound recorder to wav and then convert wav to mp3, just wondering if any one has any other more appropriate method?

Cheers for help

I was just wondering if there was any portable mp3 recorders available to buy? I think that you can buy an Ikey from gemini but I have never heard any reports on there performance or there advantages/disadvantages..

One more question, what is the best way to convert mini discs to mp3, I used to connect the mini disc player to computer through analogue cable and record using sound recorder to wav and then convert wav to mp3, just wondering if any one has any other more appropriate method?

Cheers for help

I think when it comes to recording MP3's on the move, then the Ikey is the way to go. Jules always said via his diary how he struggled to get his working - but other DJ's use them well to record their live mixes. I know Markus Schulz uses one because I saw him with his at Turnmills when he recorded his set.

As for converting Minidisc to MP3 - well, I pretty much do the same as you. I record via cable to my PC, and then save it as a 320kbps MP3.

I have Sony's most advanced MD deck and they have a USB function to link it to any computer, but bizarrely the software which is needed actually doesn't allow you to transfer anything from the MD deck to your computer; it merely allows you to make playlists and operate it from your PC, which is very frustrating! Therefore the only way is the long way, which is how you've been doing - that is, playing the music from the source and copying it in real time to your PC using analogue cables, saving it as a wav, then converting it to mp3.

You might also be interested to know that if you record something on MD in stereo quality without using any long play (LP2 or LP4) functions, this is an MD's highest recording quality and apparently equates to an mp3 that would be encoded at a quality of something like 230kbps (roughly). I guess that makes sense as an MD is smaller than a CD and obviously a tiny bit has been lost in physically reducing its size. I encode my MDs to 256kbps as a result, but really 320 would be fine too, as you're not wasting too much disk space and that number I quoted earlier (230) is definitely not precise!

Can you borrow a laptop from someone and record straight onto HD from the DJ mixer?!?!

Yeah, but sorta the whole point is plugging one thing in and pressing record, rather than carting about 2 laptops, a soundcard and an extension plug......

Surely there must be something cheap and cheerfull? All I want is something that I can record every time I go on the decks / listen back to live stuff, being the pedantic bloke I am.

Archived