John Motson - End of an era

Uberduck

Sunday's Euro final will probably be more recognised in this country for the final game on which the great Motty will cast his voice and opinion. Sad day for English football.

The other commentators on any channel will never even come close to his popularity. Can't quite see Andy Gray or Jonathan Pearce being such a cult hero.

Motty is a legend - but it was three years too late anyway. He's been making a few howlers over the last few years - although working alongside a pillock (Mark Lawrenson), its no surprise he lost the plot a bit.

If BBC have any sense, they'll try to get the ITV commentator over for big games (can't think of his name, but he's very good).

Some of the BBC match day people could do with being replaced anyway. Mark Lawrenson is a plonker, Mark Bright has an annoying voice, and Alan Shearer knows his stuff - but he's sooooooo serious and boring.

They should keep Alan Hanson, who is brilliant, and try to poach the ITV commentator, and also get Andy Townsend over - who is also very good.

I'd say Alan Shearer, Ian Wright, and Peter Scmicheal make the best BBC commentary team...

Seriously? I think they're the worst lol. Peter Schmeichel always seems to struggle to know what to say. Ian Wright is ok, but just seems to come across as a bit of a plonker, and Alan Shearer just seems really boring.

Alan Shearer is very knowledgable though, like Alan Hanson.

yeah, i like that lineup, obviously with Gary Lineker being the "Des Lynam" of the bunch. Schmichael brings that zany european view, Ian Wright brings that unashamdley British passion and i like Alan Shearer, he keeps things "real". Although Martin O'Neill makes a great pundit too...

I'd say Alan Shearer, Ian Wright, and Peter Scmicheal make the best BBC commentary team...

Ian Wright left because he felt the BBC were not really taking his opinions seriously and he wasn't valued as part of the more professional analysis team of Alan Shearer and that scottish bloke.

I think he is absolutely right to believe that because I think it's true - he was crap!

Motty is a leg. I think Andy Gray is alright too - in fact the Sky Team are very good!

I don't like it when we start to see random pundits (might be just be, but Lee Dixon and a few other random BBC2 pundits - GaryNeville even appeared once didn't he?).

Martin O'Neil is great, not too keen on Alan Hansen - the guy gets on my nerves as he analyses and criticises like he knows everything and was amazing (IMO).

Random tangent - who loves Alistair Mcgowan impressions on pundits? Make me laugh all the time :)

That's what I like about Alan Hansen though. He is very intelligent and has a great footballing brain. He's the only one that can go so in-depth, and be absolutely right at the end of it. Many others have tried, but they just aren't as clever. Hansen would have made a great manager IMO.

What the BBC need are people that know their stuff, can get quite in-depth, but also have a light-hearted side too. That's where Martin O'Neill is good, and also Andy Townsend on ITV.

The likes of Ian Wright, Peter Schemiechel, Mark Bright - and especially Mark Lawrenson just aren't good enough. Most of the time, they get stuck for words and then Gary Lineker has to bail them out by clearing up what they meant to say, but ballsed up.

If BBC have any sense, they'll try to get the ITV commentator over for big games (can't think of his name, but he's very good).

Do you mean Clive Tyldesley? He is a quality commentator. Can't stand when Peter Drury and David Pleat are on ITV. Drury is good but Pleat just lets the side down and dribbles s*** all night.

I think the ideal BBC pundits would be [Mr. Morrisons] Alan Hansen (even though I think he's a bit of a tool), Martin Oneill and Leonardo (used in the World Cup). They all talk real sense. I think the capture of Oneill by the BBC for the past two international tournaments really enhances the quality of the pudnit team. He's incredibly intelligent. I especially like hiscomment in the world cup when we played Sweden that Ibrahimovic is the most over rated player in the world :lol: . Thats a kick in the nuts :ill: if ever I heard one.

I love Schmeichel as he's a United legend but as a pundit he is rubbish! Ian Wright get's on my nerves too as all he ever talks about is Shaun Wright-Phillips and is a bit of a chav in terms of personality.

He is very intelligent and has a great footballing brain. He's the only one that can go so in-depth, and be absolutely right at the end of it.

What about when he adamantly stated on MOTD that "you don't win anything with kids and Man Utd went on to take the league" :)

Loved that when he had to eat his words on the tv :lol:

good!!! all these damn commentators and co-commentators could go on about is england this england that!!!

thats all we heard during the championships!!!

i mean clive tyldeslay kept referring to torres of Liverpools no 9....and spains :angry:

fabregas of arsenal.....ohh yeh and spain!!! Godammmm lol..i know they both play for english clubs but do we really need to be told all the time??

the coverage was a joke..

however the tournement was ace!

Motty does irritate the f*** out of me.

Hate it when he commentates England games with Mark Lawrenson :(

How cool was that England team in the Youtube vid Quadrant posted/ legends, LOL at Gary Neville motionless and not moving his mouth, boooo

Some of my favourite commentators are the ones that do the Spanish football on Sky, Kevin Keatings and Rob Palmer. I also really like Gerry Armstrong, what a legend, really good co-commentator.

Archived