Warrior - If U Want Me (Tim James Bootleg Remix)

Hiya matey,

The idea all works really well - however, in all honesty, the production sounds a bit flat and basic. It doesn't have a professional sound to it and needs a lot of work to get it up to a standard where it'd be played out in a club.

To me, it sounds like it may have been produced on basic production software? If so, i'd seriously consider getting something more professional because your ideas work really well - its just the overall sound that isn't quite up to scratch.

Keep it up though because there's definately potential there.

but if Im honest, Ive not heard the original (and I think I should have by now) so I cant compare the two.

:eek: :o How dare you? ;)

Seriously dude. Sort your act out, it's a classic!! It's the instrumental that you want to listen to though, not the original :D .

Edit: Had a listen mate. Didn't really do anything for me unfortunately. I'd echo Briggsy's comments in that it sounds a bit basic. I always compare tracks like that to the background music on Sonic the Hedgehog :smirk: . That's not a stab at it though pal, just my opinion.

The benefit of posting up here though is that you can use the feedback and hopefully come back with an impressive update!

Anyone got any tips on how I could add any depth to the sound? I produced it on FL Studio 7 (yeah, not the best I know) & I can never seem to get as much depth to the sound as i'd like & the cymbals in the drum track always feel flat & slightly detatched. I've only been using the software for about 3 weeks so i'm still very much a beginner & any tips on how I could improve the sound & any alterations I could make would be appreciated.

Cheers

Anyone got any tips on how I could add any depth to the sound? I produced it on FL Studio 7 (yeah, not the best I know) & I can never seem to get as much depth to the sound as i'd like & the cymbals in the drum track always feel flat & slightly detatched. I've only been using the software for about 3 weeks so i'm still very much a beginner & any tips on how I could improve the sound & any alterations I could make would be appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah, I had a feeling it was the software holding you back.

I'm not a producer to be honest, so I can't really give you any tips. There's a few on here though, so they'll be able to give some tips. I have a feeling they'll recommend changing your software though - I think thats the real issue. As the saying goes, a workman is only as good as his tools.

I have Ableton Live 7.3 and Reason 4 on here. Reason is awful for beginners simply because its so damn complicated ... but Ableton is a great bit of software for producing. If you struggle for sounds you can cut snippets from other tracks and put them in which garuntees a professional result.

When I was at school we used FL Studios a lot and I loved it. I came to download it a while ago when 'Fly To New York' was in its peak to see what I could do but I had lost all prior knowledge. Ableton is very straight forward so if you can take a look because it may benefit your work.

Hopefully you can receive wise words from actual FL users on here but I dont personally know of anyone who uses it much. Basically my advice is to try out Ableton for a little bit but it does all come back to personal preference in the end ;)

Reason is awful for beginners simply because its so damn complicated ...

Too right! I installed it once, got p***ed off with it after about an hour because you needed a degree just to get into one menu, so I threw it into one of my drawers and its never been out since - and that put me off production because I thought they'd all be that difficult to get used to.

I dare say if i'd read through the 5,362,687 page manual, then i'd have sussed it - but production didn't really interest me enough to spent three years reading half a forest.

Cheers

As for the track as a whole, I think you need a heavier kick and more sub. I'd filter the current bass line to keep the bass and mid then add a square or sine for the low end sub then compress the two of them together.

In terms of top end. Sample quality is all important. Make sure you've got good quality samples from all the Roland machines which are a must. Try experimenting with panning and different levels of delay and reverb for different percussion tracks. Don't JUST have a one size fits all send reverb, though used subtly this can be useful to tie all tracks in together.

All that being said, for your first production this is sounding very good. My first tune was a shocker! Keep at it and post back any results :)

Wheres Christian!

I agree the ideas there but yes a bit flat everything needs beefing up, I'm not a producer although I have used floops, adding effects n stuff may not bea good idea (uynless its me as Im a nutter) :lol:

Yes, sir "thirddrive" who's on here would know, maybe send him a message on here Tim?

Archived