YAWN!

Briggsy

Just listening to Deadmoo5e's Essential Mix. How the hell do people dance to this in a club?

Its just a load of bleeps and shuffle noises, with a few sythesized voices over the top of a bassline. Its not what i'd call music.

Its quite similar to the crap Eric Prydz was playing at Global last year. No wonder they had sofa's at the back of the tent last year (seriously!)

Edited by Briggsy

I haven't had chance to listen yet but the tracklist looks decent, obviously as is the accepted practice nowadays he seemed to whore a lot of his own stuff. I think that a good Essential Mix should differ from a club set anyway, it should be about crafting something people can enjoy listening to, not neccessarily as full on as a club set may be

Shame, cos i am a fan of his productions. But this was just crap. I think its a case of better producer than DJ here.

I disagree. I think the Essential Mix should reflect what a dj plays in a club; a snapshot of what is current at the time OR they go down the ambient/chillout/alternative route to who or what the DJ's influences, inspirations are.

This just doesnt know what it wants to be. There's no building, no peaks...nothing. The Alex Kidd essential Mix a while back is how it should be done.

Edited by Moonman

I think it was Trentmoller last year that created a really amazing Essential Mix, it was packed with loads of exclusive edits & remixes which he made specially for the show. He put it together expertly & really crafted something. It was a lot better than a DJ merely mixing a set of his current favourites which seems to be the norm on the show

I think the Essential Mix should reflect what a dj plays in a club; a snapshot of what is current at the time.

I agree. Usually, DJ's are picked to do Essential Mixes due to constant good reviews from clubbers, etc - so the Essential Mix should be about exposing that DJ to people that haven't heard him before. A DJ should do his natural style on the Essential Mix in my opinion.

The problem now is that many DJ's are taking it a bit too seriously - they filling their sets with specially made one-off tunes that they're playing just on the Essential mix, or they're trying too hard to impress and messing up big time - for example, Richard Durand tried far too hard in his recent Essential Mix. he made a lot of clumy mistakes and tried to cram too many tunes in. Its a greta shame because in a club, he's nothing short of superb, but his essential mix was a massive let down :( John O'Callaghan also crammed too many tunes into his Essential Mix last week.

They just need to chill out and do what they'd do in a club, and just forget that they're on Radio 1. To be selected to do an Essential Mix means they're already high regarded - so they don't need to try hard to make an impression. They'd done that by working their way towards an Essential Mix.

I agree. Usually, DJ's are picked to do Essential Mixes due to constant good reviews from clubbers, etc - so the Essential Mix should be about exposing that DJ to people that haven't heard him before. A DJ should do his natural style on the Essential Mix in my opinion.

I fully agree. I like to listen to an Essential Mix years later by someone and think "Yeah i remember when they had THE touch producing tunes and DJing" or "I remember when that particular sound was big". Then there's remembering the tunes.

All this special edits and one off's i find are just too arty. I'm not knocking the aforementioned Trentmoller Essential Mix. It was really quite superb on a technical level. But, he would never be able to mix like that in a club, and some of those tunes he played would have been as welcome as a fart in a lift, if he played those in a club. The mixing on Trentmollers mix was all done digitally (as i'm sure most EM's are), it just left me thinking, could he do that in a club??

There was simply no life in the dead person's E-Mix. Jules did mention that Deadmau5 had been on the road for a month without returning home so perhaps the mix was just very unprepared.

Its a shame he didn't travel a bit longer so that he didn't have time at all.

On a serious note though - it was the music that was the problem. If thats the crap he always plays, then it baffles me as to why people want to see him. Its not music that could be danced to.

Some sets I have heard from Deadmau5 have been excellent, he uses ableton live when playing out & seems to be something of a wizard with it. I don't really think anyone can complain at him being given the essential mix, I'm sure he was a popular choice due to his continued success over the past 18 months or so

Why on earth does he do gigs then if he prefers not to do them. No doubt its the money - and if thats the case, he shouldn't be doing it. DJ's should be playing out because of their love of the music, not because it pays the bills. No wonder his Essential Mix was so dull if his heart wasn't into it.

I just wish he'd go away for a year now anyway to be honest. Its been Deadmoo5e overload over the last 12 months. It seems he has a new tune out every week.

If he carries on like that, he'll have a short career because people will be sick of him.

Also, why does he wear that stupid Mouse head. Does he realise what a prize d***head he looks? Still, I guess its better than his usual chavwear.

He plays gigs presumably to showcase his productions & share his music with people, he's not the only producer who is happier producing but DJs as they feel it's part of what being a dance music producer is about.

I hate all these producers that are crap DJ's but get high profile gigs simply because they're 'marketable' because they've made a few productions. There's loads of far better bedroom DJ's that can't get the break, and never will do - DJ'ing talent counts for nothing these days. There's loads out there that are really poor DJ's, yet get loads of gigs - Ronald van Gelderen is a prime example. The first time I ever heard him was about three years ago. Not only could he not beatmatch, but he could even get his phrases in sync. There was new bars/phrases starting everywhere, and each mix sounded like a load of horses galloping - and they have the audacity to charge about £1000 per gig!!

The older generation Producer-DJ's such as Armin, Ferry, etc are decent because they came through in an era when you made a name for yourself as a DJ. A large percentage of DJ's now have broken through as DJ's - and they're poor. There are some that are still exceptionally good DJ's though (such as Barry Connell, John O'Callaghan, etc), so i'm not saying all DJ-Producers aren't worthy of their recognition. Some need shooting though - starting with Ronald van Gelderen - the worst DJ ever!

Just listening to said Essential Mix at the moment, I agree that it's overkill with the Deadmau5 stuff but there are some bloody good tracks in there.

The new Sydney Blu tune sounds fantastic & the edit of 'The Sky Was Pink' is pretty dman good too