Production Samples

simonross46

I think now is the time for me to dive in with some solo productions rather than churning out bootlegs otherwise I will have that reputation hanging over me forever ...

The only thing that holds me back from solo productions is the lack of materials to work with. Its like a builder having no bricks - they have the skills and equipment but nothing to apply them to. I have acquired some samples from a mate which are very good but can not be used to make anything worthwhile.

Where do producers get their samples from? Is it a matter of getting them from each other or are there websites who make them available to download?

I think now is the time for me to dive in with some solo productions rather than churning out bootlegs otherwise I will have that reputation hanging over me forever ...

The only thing that holds me back from solo productions is the lack of materials to work with. Its like a builder having no bricks - they have the skills and equipment but nothing to apply them to. I have acquired some samples from a mate which are very good but can not be used to make anything worthwhile.

Where do producers get their samples from? Is it a matter of getting them from each other or are there websites who make them available to download?

It all depends on what you mean exactly by samples. If you're talking synth lines/stabs etc, producers get thier samples from the sound engineers who churn them out of synths. Others get their hands dirty a bit and and tinker with synths themselves. Others still are either ex-sound engineers (Dave Clarke, Paul Glazby, BK for example) so can do the entire process themselves.

As for getting hold of them yourself, you can pay for sample CDs. Now, with the digital age you can also pay for downloads too. Track it down do loads and there used to be a fair few on Juno too.

Personally though, I feel getting premade samples isn't the right way to go about things and completely disagree with your second paragraph. I like to play with soft-synths myself, and part of the enjoyment of the whole production process is this discovery and creation of leaning a new synth and trying to get good, high quality and inventive sounds out of it. I do collect samples but this is in the terms of sound effects from sources like games and films. The only premade sample packs I have are of drum machines.

I remember when I first got Reason 4 that had a feature which allowed you to make your own but for me that was too much to take on board as a first step forward. For now I would be more comfortable to simply use some which are already polished up otherwise I will just find it too difficult and will eventually be put off by it all. The thought of making my own is very daunting at the moment :lol:

Mate, just jump in head first. Your computer isn't going to bite you if you do something wrong! Just load up Reason, create a new Subtractor, load up a patch and play with the settings. If you've got a sound you like, save the patch and move on. When you get a bit more confident look at the manual and have a look at how the soft-synth is designed, that'll give you clues where to move if you want to create a specific sound and learn how everything work. Subtractor is a fairly straightforward unit to play with anyway so you shouldn't get too lost. ;)

I have played with Reason a tad back when I got it, I think some heavy reading of the manual whilst on the bog would be in order if I am to take it anywhere though. From what I could do back then it was alright but I didnt exactly get anywhere and it wasnt enough to convince me to keep using the programme. Its a difficult one to understand with my skills as they are. I have taken a shine to Ableton though which uses loops and things like that and I am very fond of them ... its not too hard to understand and even though the samples wont be made by myself at least the end product is which is mainly what I am after. I think as soon as I manage to get to the same level with producing, using others samples, that I am now with my bootlegs, I will then move on to making it all myself.

Archived