New R1 Schedule

Stuart F

I must say, that i think Tong's show is now better than ever. Maybe i'm getting old but i really do like the stuff he's been playing lately. Dare i say it, i enjoy listening to him more than jules now on radio 1 - and thats not just because of the times either. Tong's 25 minute mixes are very good. I was never really that into Tong but over the last year or so, he's really impressed me.

I suppose it's each to their own, i don't think Tong should go, he's a good radio personality and i think he's still on the pulse.

As for Dave Pearce, i like him, when given the chance, he does play some good upfront trance. But i just can't help feeling he's still stuck in 1998.

As for Eddie leaving, well unlike most, i really only liked the Housier start to his show. Thats simply the sound i go for these days. I too thought he'd end up replacing Jules, i thought he was being "groomed" by Radio 1. Begs the question, just who will eventually replace Jules? I can only see him having around 2-3 years tops on the station. Actually, i wouldnt be surprised if he's the next to go...After all the 2300-0100 is the grim reaper slot. Dave Pearce, Fergie had this slot and a few months after gaining both got the bullet? Is Jules in the firing line?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for Dave Pearce...i just can't help feeling he's still stuck in 1998.

Not a bad year to be stuck in :P;)

But then so would have sticking on Trance Nation 2.

True, but the interaction made Dance Anthems.

Why is it so bad if Jules and Tongy go?

Personally I rarely listen to either now, but it feels like a changing of the guard is around the corner, bringing a close to the DJs that I have being listening to on R1 ever since I got into dance music.

If R1 did decide to replace Jules & Tong who would they find to replace them?

I can't think of anyone suitable that would take up the shows, I mean really how could anyone follow Tong on the Essential Selection? It's his show & he's still very popular in terms of radio audience

I couldn't believe Tong had 'Dark Flower' as the essential new tune last night, it's been around forever, even I've been playing it for a good three months.

It still stands as my favourite track of '08 thus far though

I've had it for about two months now. I don't feel it matters though, what matters is it's been recognized. Tong himself even said last night that its a sleeper track. It's been around for ages and finally people are starting to take notice. Or maybe there just isn't a tune worthy of being Essential New tune released or promo'd this week?

This is also the upshot of the dj download sites. Everyone has access to the same tunes now - including A List DJ's right through to us small time dj's. The only difference is they maybe get sent tunes straight from producers, but on the whole, everyone has access to the same tunes. What matters now is digging to find tunes other may have missed.

I've never been one to play upfront purely for the sake of it. I mean i still play Dave Spoon "At Night" (played it out the other week actually) and it went down a storm despite it being 2 years old. I've always thought what matters is quality. I'd rather hear a good tune that maybe a few months old that a bland new one just because its new. Thats just my opinion though. But, as Tom rightly says, how can anyone replace Tong? He's not only responsible for the Essential Selection but also the Essential Mix, arguably 2 of radio one's best shows.

Is this person really dutch? I'm changing my name now, officially, to Roland Van Der Aschkracken. I too will play techno. Mods, can you do it for me?

Yeah, who is this new dutch guy, if he is dutch? I will listen to him to see what he's like, as I don't midna bit of techno!

As for the name, sir Moonman, I like it. I shall also change my name to Ruud van de Schpünken, playing pure House. :lol:

Edited by Quadrant

He does stick to his 'mates' tunes a bit too much aswell.

I think all Radio 1 DJ's are guilty of that though. Fergie had a "special guest" mix from Phil Keiran every week, Eddie has a lot of favouritism towards the Goodgreef artists and Jules has continually supported tunes by the likes of Masterson, Fabio Stein, Signalrunners, etc despite some of thejm being very weak tunes, and then he's continually ignored superb artists like John O'Callaghan, Greg Downey, etc. At one point, Jules didn't support one single Richard Durand tune at all - and then they suddenly became pally-pally, and Jules has supported them since.

Like him or loathe him, out of all the dance shows, Dave Pearce seemed to be the only one that didn't really have any favouritism - hence why I feel his "proper" Trance mixes stood out above all of the other Trance DJ's on Radio 1.

It's the way of the world though really, I mean certain DJs favour certain artists. Every DJ has a favourite producer from whom he will showcase new material as a matter of course.

Armin has his favourites, Schulz has his, etc, etc.

Dave Pearce probably didn't show favouritism because he had no mates within the industry :lol:

That was a joke btw, just before the new legion of Pearce fans kicks off ;)

Dave Pearce probably didn't show favouritism because he had no mates within the industry :lol:

That was a joke btw, just before the new legion of Pearce fans kicks off ;)

To be honest though, I think you're kind of right - he just didn't have the contacts that other DJ's had. Dave Pearce was always the radio presenter that got club bookings because of his radio profile. He was a radio presenter first, club DJ second. For most other club DJ's, thats their sole job - club DJ'ing. Dave Pearce only plays about 5 or 6 gigs a month, whereas some club DJ's can do that over a weekend. Whereas the likes of Jules, Armin, PvD, etc are constantly meeting DJs when they swap over at gigs, etc, Dave Pearce doesn't have that luxury.

It means his sets aren't as fresh as some DJ's, and he may miss out on some tunes completely - but it means he has very little favouritism over other producers and DJ's because he doesn't meet them often enough to become 'friendly' with them.

I prefer it that way actually. I hate it when DJ's support weak tunes simply because one of their DJ mates produced it.

Eddie Halliwell appears to have left Radio 1 with immediate effect! Kutski done his show last night and there is no reference to Eddie now in the dance section of the R1 website. In fact if you try and go to Eddie's page, it just goes straight to the dance page!

Edited by Stuart F

yeah i was listening last night and expected to hear Eddie but got Kutski instead. I wonder if Eddie has spat the proverbial dummy out? I've heard stories of him and his ego so it wouldn't surprise me. I've never been an out and out Eddie fan so I'm not really that bothered.

I'm quite surprised at the lack of professionalism on Eddie's part. Look at Dave Pearce, he knows he's going but he sees it through. There's the difference between a professional and someone who just can't have what he wants.

In Eddie's defence - he's a really down to earth bloke, but his brother has a lot of control over him. Eddie certainly doesn't have an ego - but his brother appears to.

When I interviewed Eddie last year, he didn't have any problems with it - but his brother kept interupting saying "how long is this gonna take", etc. In the end, Eddie told him to shut up. I also asked Eddie if I could have a photo - to which Eddie agreed, but his brother tried to make out they were struggling for time. Again, Eddie overruled him and posed for a few photos.

His brother is now his manager. Jules's manager, Charlie, used to be Eddie's manager until a couple of years ago.

I am surprised at Eddie's imminent departure.....I thought that he was a "down to earth character"...from all the interviews I have seen and heard from him in the last few years.

Interesting to hear about his brother's attitude. Not the correct way to conduct yourself especially if he is trying to promote his brother Eddie.

One other thing is that I definitely wont be tunning into Kutski...not my cup of tea in any respect :lol: :lol: