Microphones

simonross46

My area is in the process of launching a radio station and I want to contribute with my trance style. At the moment they are in the process of funding the station but they are wanting some short clips from us young'uns of presenting skills. I will simply record a quick 15 minute mix or so and just do my talking jazz over the top but I have no microphone to do this.

I will most likely need to buy a microphone of my own but Im not willing to splash the cash incase I never need to use it again. I assume Amazon would have some (Ive not checked yet) and I know its a very reliable site, but which microphones are reliable and also cheap at the same time?

My only concern is I would like something that wont go t!ts up after a month :lol: I've come across a selection on the web whilst having a ganders and I think the £20 region seems safe. Some are at £100 odd which seems ridiculous but I also thought the same when looking at headphones many years back when I didnt know much about them.

I love those sort, I wanted to hunt some down but to DJ with one ear filled with that would be hard to do surely :lol: I went out and got myself a nice little microphone today ... solid metal and with a short clay stand for £25 ... bit of a bargain I like to think :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have an hour long mix as a demo for an up and coming radio station, and also a script of what to say. I have planned to simply record my script through the microphone as the mix plays but 'Virtual DJ' seems to frown at the idea. It will only record the music ad not the microphone. I have fiddled with everything I possibly can to get it to work but have got nothing from it ... and its not the microphone because it will play through the speakers fine.

How do other people manage to record their voices? This is aimed more towards Jason and Stuart. I know you guys talk on your shows.

I have an hour long mix as a demo for an up and coming radio station, and also a script of what to say. I have planned to simply record my script through the microphone as the mix plays but 'Virtual DJ' seems to frown at the idea. It will only record the music ad not the microphone. I have fiddled with everything I possibly can to get it to work but have got nothing from it ... and its not the microphone because it will play through the speakers fine.

How do other people manage to record their voices? This is aimed more towards Jason and Stuart. I know you guys talk on your shows.

As far as i'm aware, you can't record from a mic and line-in at the same time without software to do it. They're two seperate ports at the back (mic port and line-in port) and your PC can only handle one at a time.

I used to plug my microphone into my mixer, and then the mixer did the rest of the work. All I had to do then was plug the mixer into the PC via the line-in port.

Your best bet is to ask on the Shoutcast forum (www.shoutcast.com) - its full of guys that have internet radio shows, so they'll be able to advise on how to do it. I know you can do it if you broadcast via Winamp with the SHoutcast plug-in, but beyond that, i'm not sure.

I thought it would be a straight forward task. I have a Hurcules DJ Console (very cheap but does the job) and it acts as a mixer. It has a headphone port and a microphone port then conects via USB. I think the problem may be that with my speakers the volume controls sit on my desk as a seperate block and they too have headphone/microphone ports (these are 2.5mm ports) ... I will go to shoutcast now cos I need this problem solving. Also trying to get some recording software so I could possibly record my voice seperate then just play over the top of the mix.

Afraid I can't really help with any software tips Simon as I actually do my show from a radio studio using a mixing desk etc..

Would it maybe be possible to do your vocal links at the same time as doing your mix? You could put a microphone into your DJ mixer and a line out from the mixer to your computer so you could record both the music and vocal stuff at the same time. This would also allow you to adjust the music levels to suit whilst you talk.

I once used Audacity to put some vocal links over a mix but I had to put them over quiet bits or breakdowns in the music as they were inaudible when the music was in full flow!

This is the thing, I want to be able to do the vocal links as it plays but the vocals simply don't record. The mix is fully recorded and I load it into one of the decks on the software just as I would with a single track ... it just means I dont have to beatmatch and crossfade as I talk (likely resulting in a mistake).

I have been told it may work if I plug the microphone directly into the computer tower itself, but this means buying an adapter to downsize the plug from 6.5 to 3.5

This talk of 'Line-out' sounds like an option I've not attempted yet. When it comes to configuring the recording before I go ahead there are options of where it should record from (Speakr microphone socket, console socket, line-in) ... with line-in I get nothing recorded, just silence. How would I go about connecting the console to the computer using this method?

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got my microphone I used the 'Mic In' socket on the front of my console ... my voice would come through the speakers but would not record. I have got an adaptor now which downsizes the plug from 6.5mm to 3.5mm so now I can plug the microphone directly into the computer, but now the problem I have come to is that Virtual DJ doesnt recognise the computer soundcard :rolleyes:

Archived