Paul Oakenfold, Menno De Jong & Matt Hardwick @ The Gallery, Ministry of Sound, London 22nd August 2008

Simcut

Hey all,

I went to MOS last night to see Menno and Matt (f*** Oakey to be honest, he's awful now such a shame but let's not go on about that....)

Wow what a night, absolutely f***ing amazing time! Menno and Matt were absolutely awesome, Matt was the better of the two, and I have to say, is one of the most underrated DJ's ever. How he isn't massively in the spotlight is beyond me!

So I got on the train from where I live to Liverpool Street to meet 2 friends, Sven & Helen who flew over from Germany to see Menno (and also spend some time with family they have over here)

We then walked about for like 10 minutes to find something to eat as none of us had eaten since lunchtime and at 11pm we found a nice indian restaurant near Liverpool Street and just got there in time before it closed :D

Then we got the bus to Elephant & Castle and went into the MOS there..... really impressive nightclub to be honest, there was a VIP Lounge upstairs which looked really cool and there was also an upstairs bar area which was really cool, they had this massive chandalere (dodgy spelling) hanging from the ceiling in this beautiful shade of green, it looked awesome :D they played mostly prog and tech house in there. Then downstairs was the main bar area which had some more house stuff, not really my cup of tea but that was a really cool area, looked awesome, the bar was huge.....and it was pretty packed in there. Then there was a room called 'Big Box' which hosted a 'Classifique' night last night, lots of Trance Classics in there, was awesome, but every time we went in there it was hard house sort of classics, not really what I would call Trance, but the best song while I was in there was a remix of Arrola - Dreamin, which everybody sang to in dodgy spanish :D

And then, last but not least, the main room, OMG! Was fantastic, the lighting and the sound system, jesus titty f***ing christ.... I walked in there and was deafened, the volume was so loud (it actually was so loud vocals on some tracks got distorted), I wisely got some ear plugs to protect my ears later on in the evening from an ever so slightly attractive big breasted blonde, think it took me like 15 seconds to remember what I was gonna ask for :)

But yeah, the sound system was really impressive, it was making my stomach shudder with ever beat, was not so good early on as we had eaten only like 1 hour before we got there, but after a while it was okay....

Now on to the DJ's....

We skipped Paul Oakenfold, because I've heard so many bad things about him now, we all agreed to ignore him, so we did, and we went into the Classifique room to see a DJ there 'Steve Arnold' who was spinning Trance Classics. It was really good in there, he played awesome stuff, including BBE - Seven Days And One Week and the Arrola - Dreamin remix I mentioned earlier. We then got a drink from the bar and decided to have a rest, we had all had long days and Sven and Helen were feeling particularly tired (they had finished work and drove to Berlin Tegel airport and got a flight to Stansted, then they got the train to their hotel, took their luggage away and left the hotel almost immediately to travel to Liverpool Street and meet me, so I didn't blame them for feeling tired at all.

After having a walk around for a little but we decided to go into the main room and man, Matt Hardwick was absolutely amazing, he played so many brilliant tracks, I've always rated him as a DJ from what I had heard but never saw him live, until last night. He blew me away, bloody fantastic assortment of tunes, the crowd were loving it, superb warmup for Menno and as I mentioned previously, he does not get the credit he deserves. He s***s all over Tiesto that's for sure!

I recorded quite a few videos I was there, and will link them below, I need almost all of the tracks ID'd, I've been really out of the scene for a while now with new trance so I dont know a lot of these tracks, but last night made me realise that Trance is still very good, I've just got to search for a bit more.... ;) There are too many people producing Trance now with a 'computerised' feel to it, I hate it. But I won't rant about that....

After Matt Hardwick's set was nearing a close we decided to go and get another drink from the bar and rest our feet for a while, we all just sat in silence relaxing and listening to the music, Sven and Helen were falling asleep but I was wide awake (I had caught 2 hours sleep before I left home to get to Liverpool Street, something I'm really pleased I had done....)

After our rest had finished we hurried back to the main room just in time to see Menno start his set at 4am this morning (eek!). The rest as they say is history, the crowd were going mental, loving every track he played, both Menno and Armin are the kings of Trance right now, the interaction of Menno with the crowd, and you could tell he loved every single minute of his set, had a beaming smile the whole way through, I wish there were more DJ's around that really gave a s*** about the crowd, but there are far too many arrogant pricks around now (like Tiesto).

Menno played some really really good tracks, some of which I recorded parts of on my mobile (see below). It was approaching 5am when Sven and Helen were almost falling asleep sat on the floor in the corner (but I was still dancing and dancing and dancing, so glad I had those 2 hours sleep hehehe!), Sven then woke up and said that he thinks that he and Helen should travel home as they are too tired, so I went outside with them and said my goodbyes and then went back in to the club to catch the rest of Menno's set, which had Veracocha - Carte Blanche as a classic near the end. I left just before Menno was finishing to beat the crowds leaving in their masses.

I then waited 20 minutes for a bus to Liverpool Street and I eventually got back home at 7.30am and got a lift home from my mum (bless her) to get to bed at 8.30am this morning!

And here I am now! :)

But yeah, in summary, what a superb superb night, I'm definitely going back to MOS soon, the lineups there are superb and I'm hoping some of us can head there in the future for a meetup or something? Would be awesome....

Hope you enjoyed the read, sorry if I've waffled on a bit, I just wanted to type what was in my head and I cant be bothered to review what I've read ;-)

I'll post the videos below....if you know the track names please tell me! :-)

Cheers

Simon

Good report dude B) . That makes my reports look concise :lol: . Good to see you had such a good time mate. Never been to MOS before because a) I don't live in London and B) it's a name that I would assume attracts chavs (maybe I'm wrong).

I agree with your decision not to see Oakey. I just don't understand why people are still booking this wan*er? He's such an egotistical tw*t that has a very bad musical taste. Wish he'd go back to America and keep making his movie soundtracks :angry: .

Surprised Matt Hardwick was rated so highly by yourself but I guess people have their own preferences. Personally I can't stand him but Marmite and all that....

Nice report mate, fair play to your friends for the travel as well, not surprised they fell asleep. I really need to get down & check out the new Gallery nights, have heard magnificent reports about each & every one.

Would love to help with those vid IDs but I'm struggling with the sound quality, it must have been mega loud in there

Menno de Jong is quality - very under-rated.

Matt Hardwick bored me to tears with his 12 minute breakdowns and 30 seconds of bassline per tune. He's a good DJ technically, but his sets are so boring. As for Oakie - he's appalling. Did he play Fred Baker - Total Blackout yet again?

Matt Hardwick bored me to tears with his 12 minute breakdowns and 30 seconds of bassline per tune. He's a good DJ technically, but his sets are so boring. As for Oakie - he's appalling. Did he play Fred Baker - Total Blackout yet again?

Hit the nail on the head there pal. I seem to spend half of the time during Matt's set (usually at Crasher) stadning around twiddling my thumbs. Total Blackout and Three Drives - Carrera 2 are almost certainties in his sets.

I wish he'd see some of these opinions and go sit under a tree/have a cold shower then come back with something fresh because he used to have immense talent. It's the equivalent of Ronaldo (the Brazilian) getting all fat and being rubbish. Such a waste :( . When Oakie was the resident at Home he used to be world class but now he doesn't even stand up to the quality of most club residents let along the 'big guns'. Quite sad really.

I wish he'd see some of these opinions and go sit under a tree/have a cold shower then come back with something fresh

I wish he'd just retire to be honest. His day has been and gone - he's just a money grabber now and offers nothing to the scene at all. Even when he was at his best I thought he was massively over-rated too.

Amazing sir Simcut! You go quiet for a while then produce a spellbinding post! I love it when that happens. I will listen to those videos now, sounded fantastic sir. makes me want to go out now - there's hope for us old ones! :):)

No sir, really like it when people take the time to write all about their clubbing ventures. Don't get that sort of detail and love on many other messageboards apart from this one :(

Archived