'Passion', The Emporium, Coalville. Saturday October 4th 2008

Max Kane

passionposterqo2.jpg

w530.png

Passion

The Emporium, Coalville.

Saturday October 4th 2008 9pm - 4am.

I'll be making me debut for legendary trance night 'Passion' at the world famous Emporium in Coalville, this October alongside some of the biggest names currently plying their trade within the trance genre.

Playing for such a renowned promotion in the surrounds of one the meccas of trance music promises to be one of the highlights on my career thus far & suffice to say I'm very excited about the prospect.

Headliner for the night will be former Nu-NRG star & Vandit mainstay Guiseppe Ottaviani, playing a 100% LIVE set, featuring a collection of his massive productions. Co-headliner in the main-room will be the DJing powerhouse that is Sean Tyas, Sean's production work & energetic fusion of trance & techno within his DJ sets have catapulted him from relative unknown to world-wide headliner. Residents JFK & Genix are joined by newcomer Akira Kayosa to complete the main-room lineup.

In the second arena I'll be making my Passion debut & will be playing alongside fellow debutant Matt Everson as well as AJ Hutch, Ben Alonzi & Tom Green for a night of the finest in cutting edge progressive & trance showcasing some of the finest up & coming talent in the country at the moment.

Those of you wishing to purchase tickets for the event please send any messages to me personally as I will be delaing with ticket requests.

Further details will be made available as the night draws near & are also available via the Passion website over at www.passionuk.com

See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Have just stepped back in the house following a pretty mad weekend with some seriously enjoyable antics. I'll attempt a proper report once I've caught up on some sleep but have to briefly just say what a fantastic night this was.

The place was buzzing throughout & it was great to meet up with so many new people, thankfully my set seemed to go over really well so I'm happy about that too.

Will report back properly later ;)

Right then, almost a week late but here goes...

After arriving home from my gig at Inferno in Coventry around 2am I was in need of refreshment so had a lazy kind of morning on the 4th, just listening back to a few new tracks & generally sorting stuff out for the night's activities. With the gig being right up there with any others I have played to this point I was most pleased with the take-up of tickets from my friends & I had sold my full allocation for the night.

My car was completely full after I'd picked everyone up & we began the journey south (& a little east) to our accomodation near to Coalville. I'd deliverately set off early afternoon to make sure everything was gona run smoothly & so I could drop the car off & a have a few beers pre-club.

Our accomodation was roughly 4 miles outside of Coalville & we arrived in decent time to get there for check-in. Popping next door for a bite to eat & then planning our itinerary for the rest of the day/night. The major problem was that our hotel was a little removed from everywhere & it took a ten mile round trip to get a few beers in (I was coming to think Leicestershire had moved back into prohibition).

We got setup in the hotel to watch the final scores come in & to generally chill out waiting for others to arrive. The Wolves result aside it was a non-eventful afternoon & pretty soon everyone had turned up & we spent the first part of the evening sipping cans & watching s*** TV. After the inevitable arguments & near scuffles that Family Fortunes always brings (it must be something about that t**t Vernon Kay) & a quick shower we arranged a few taxis & set off for Coalville.

Having never before visited Passion (as clubber or DJ) I didn't really know what to expect of Coalville but for those of you who have never been it's a slightly odd little place to find a super-club. In the square that surrounds the venue there is literally a nice little market square & a wetherspoons pub, then in between a few shops & The Engine (a neighbouring bar) there lies The Emporium.

It would have been rude not to drop in to the Wetherspoons for a few drinks & so our taxi dropped us there. I'm not sure how others go about their pre-gig routines but personally I tend to avoid alcohol. I'd had a couple of beers earlier but wanted to stay sober, especially as it's a real gripe of mine when you turn up to see someone play, only for said someone to be smashed & not up to their best (no names mentioned).

I left my party of friends to sink a few more drinks as I hit the club, meeting resident DJ Genix at the door & making my way through the already crowded main 'Blue Room' into my residence for the evening the smaller 'White Room'. On extremely busy nights the second room is placed in the Red Room arena but with the night not quite selling as expected the White Room it was.

I entered to DJ AJ Hutch spinning some mellow trance, which I was very greatful for. AJ's core sound is much more 'peak-time' & we had spoken in the preceeding days about what he might play, very professionally he had altered his set & was playing around 134 bpm. I can't speak highly enough of his opening set as all to often I've encountered DJs opening the night with 138+ peak time trance when there really is no place for it. Perhaps it's because of the sound I play that I really appreciate a night that builds properly.

I checked out the majority of AJ's set & also had a wonder round checking out the main room, which I was most impressed with. I'd heard so many detrimental descriptions of the club, but personally I really liked it. Heading back into the White Room around 10.30 I grabbed a drink from the complimentary stash behind the decks (I must have made it :mrgreen:) & then welcomed the rest of my group into the club.

I took over from AJ at 11pm with an enthusiastic crowd waiting, AJ had toned down his usual sound but as I took over it was still pretty trancy. With things being set up so well for me I kicked off with a fairly trancy track before moving into more housier territory before building things back up to my core progressive trance sound, dropping something of a classic (in my eyes) just prior to the end of the set.

A full recording of my entire 90 minute set is being broadcast this coming Monday via my show The Progressive Showcase so I'll refrain from full tracklistings & urge you simply to tune in ;)

Matt Everson took over from me at 12.30, instantly upping the tempo & bashing out some much harder trance. What I saw of Matt was very impressive & fully justifiable as to his burgeoning reputation. I was however tempted to pop back into the main arena to see Guiseppe Ottaviani playing a 'live' show but to be honest I stuggled to get into it, sure there were some fantastic tracks but it just wasn't my thing.

I went back into the White Room for the next couple of hours or so relaxing & having a few drinks with friends & some other new people whom I had met. Matt's set was followed by Tom Green who was on top form, full of energy & really impressive. The final act in the White Room was Ben Alonzi, whom I watched for about half an hour (managing a quick chat), before hitting the main room for the closing set from Genix.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen Genix play before but having now seen him a few times I can't speak highly enough of him. His closing set was terrific & exactly what was needed to end the night, hearing his own remix of 'Fly To Colours' & a few classics was just what I needed & with the 'One More!' tune being Ratty 'Sunrise' I left the club more than happy.

The rest of the evening revolved around us waiting for about an hour for a taxi & then having a few tins back at the hotel, before hitting the sack around 6.30am. It was a magnificent weekend (coupled with friday at Inferno) & I definately wana get myself back to Passion again soon in some capacity.

Thanks for reading guys, the full tracklisting & download links for the set are now posted in my thread for The Progressive Showcase so please feel free to check it out.

I was in your neck of the woods this past week Chrissie, stayed right on top of Crantock beach & visited Newquay, St Ives, St Agnes, Fistral & a few other locations near Penzance

Archived