6 Music & Dave Pearce

kml

I had never even heard of the station until I noticed the link to it on Jules' Radio 1 page

Its quite new I think - and nly available via the internet and via sky/freeview. You can't tune in via FM radio :(

I'm not sure whether its a good move or not really. I suppose the only good point is that he's still with the BBC - so should he pull in figures on 6 music and prove Radio 1 were wrong to kick him off, they may be tempted to reinstate dance anthems on a Sunday night. I'm not sure how the station stands with regards to listener figures - especially with the station only being internet or sky/freeview based.

It sounds like Dave actually chose to leave Radio 1 rather than being pushed. He had a bit of a dig last week saying that he thought it was bizarre that Radio 1 had moved all of the dance shows to a Friday night at a time when everyone that listens to that kind of music was out clubbing. he also admitted that his show just didn't work at that time and wanted to go back to Sundays again.

Its quite new I think - and nly available via the internet and via sky/freeview. You can't tune in via FM radio :(

I'm not sure whether its a good move or not really. I suppose the only good point is that he's still with the BBC - so should he pull in figures on 6 music and prove Radio 1 were wrong to kick him off, they may be tempted to reinstate dance anthems on a Sunday night. I'm not sure how the station stands with regards to listener figures - especially with the station only being internet or sky/freeview based.

It sounds like Dave actually chose to leave Radio 1 rather than being pushed. He had a bit of a dig last week saying that he thought it was bizarre that Radio 1 had moved all of the dance shows to a Friday night at a time when everyone that listens to that kind of music was out clubbing. he also admitted that his show just didn't work at that time and wanted to go back to Sundays again.

I doubt he will get the same number of listeners as it's not an FM station. On the plus side it is a Sunday night.

I think he got the boot from radio one like Eddie Halliwell. No one is ever going to to admit they got the chop in Dave or Eddie's position and in my opinion being on radio one has advanced both their careers. In the same respect no DJ is going to opt for an unheard of radio station over radio one.

Radio 1 definately boosted Dave's career from a club DJ point of view. Dave was already a radio presenter, but then got club gigs based on the fact that he was a radio presenter that could also mix.

As for Eddie though - I actually think that was a bad career move for Eddie. He started playing tunes that didn't fit in with his style, and he made himself look a bit of a 'cheat' too. I lost some respect for Eddie Halliwell when I heard an essential mix of hisa few years ago, and then a week later, he did a set piece of five tunes in the mix which were in the exact same order, and mixed in exactly the same way as his essential mix the week before. He also did an Essential mix a couple of months ago - and then when Ducky and I went to The Syndicate to see him about a month ago, he did another three-track set piece which was identical to that in his essential mix. When a DJ is earning around 4 grand a set, I expect him to do something different every time, not do the same set piece at every gig for a few weeks. Anyone can master a set piece and get it to sound flawless. The difference is, we won't earn 4 grand for it.

4 GRAND!!! :blink: I didnt think Eddie earned that much per gig. I thought he was on about a grand and a half tops. I wonder what other DJ's fees are. Should be a new topic me thinks.

I've never really rated Eddie to be fair. I've never really liked his style. He was lucky to have the support of Jules right from the off.

4 GRAND!!! :blink: I didnt think Eddie earned that much per gig. I thought he was on about a grand and a half tops. I wonder what other DJ's fees are. Should be a new topic me thinks.

I've never really rated Eddie to be fair. I've never really liked his style. He was lucky to have the support of Jules right from the off.

I've been to see Eddie and Jules in separate friday nights in the same club. To see Eddie it was 20% more expensive

Radio 1 definately boosted Dave's career from a club DJ point of view. Dave was already a radio presenter, but then got club gigs based on the fact that he was a radio presenter that could also mix.

As for Eddie though - I actually think that was a bad career move for Eddie. He started playing tunes that didn't fit in with his style, and he made himself look a bit of a 'cheat' too. I lost some respect for Eddie Halliwell when I heard an essential mix of hisa few years ago, and then a week later, he did a set piece of five tunes in the mix which were in the exact same order, and mixed in exactly the same way as his essential mix the week before. He also did an Essential mix a couple of months ago - and then when Ducky and I went to The Syndicate to see him about a month ago, he did another three-track set piece which was identical to that in his essential mix. When a DJ is earning around 4 grand a set, I expect him to do something different every time, not do the same set piece at every gig for a few weeks. Anyone can master a set piece and get it to sound flawless. The difference is, we won't earn 4 grand for it.

I agree that Eddie does tend to play a lot of the same tunes when you see him live. Reminds me a bit of Oakenfold in the late 90s. In fact he still does it now lol. They do get away with it though and people still pay the money to come hear them.

On a side note, I think Fergie's made a bad career move going to radio one.

You'll be surprised how much DJ fees are mate! For a grand and a half, all you'll get is Marcel Woods or Thrillseekers.

Just out of interest, how much would the like of Jules be getting paid for each gig?

I would reckon that the likes of Armin and Tiesto would be on massive money especially Tiesto as he thinks that he is god

Tiesto is the highest paid DJ in the world. I'm not sure how true it is, but I saw a thread on a forum once with an allegeded quote from Barry from Goodgreef saying that because Tiesto is so big, he doesn't charge a fee now - he takes 75% of door takings instead - hence why its never less than £30 to see him. Apparently, after Goodgreef booked him, by the time they'd paid for the promoting costs and everything else that goes with running a night, they made just short of a grand profit - and vowed not to book anyone like that again. I'm not sure how true that is - but i've heard similar horror stories about Tiesto's demands before. He drives an Aston Martin though - so he's clearly not being paid peanuts.

I think out of the "big three", Armin is the only one that hasn't got greedy. You can still go and see him for £15 a ticket. Its unusual to see PvD for that, and impossible to see Tiesto for that.

Jules is one of the more generous DJ's. He works his fee out based on the size of the venue/brand he's playing for. For example, he's not going to charge a promotor that is starting off in a 300 capacity venue the same as he would Gatecrasher in a 3000 capacity venue. Fair play to Jules for that.

Some DJ's are really good value for money too - they're not all greedy. Adam Sheridan and Lange are bargains - especially when you consider DJ's that aren't as high-profile as them are charging almost double their fee.

I heard a rumour before that Tiesto was getting paid 20 grand for his performance this year at Global Gathering.

Of all his performances over the last 3 years here in Ireland, the tickets were on average between 50 and 70 euro

You could nearly predict about 70% of the tunes that he plays at each gig. His In Search of Sunrise and Elements of Life tour must be costing a fortune..

I believe that Ferry Corsten is holding a solo gig in Holland near the end of the year called "Full on Ferry"

When I saw Greg Downey locally in Bath in 2004 this is when he was Resident at Scream in Bristol, for the big set of the night 12-2 he was paid a grand, whats he getting paid now I wonder?

He costs £600 to book now so he's taken a cut. Adam Sheridan is only £50 more.

Tiesto is the highest paid DJ in the world. I'm not sure how true it is, but I saw a thread on a forum once with an allegeded quote from Barry from Goodgreef saying that because Tiesto is so big, he doesn't charge a fee now - he takes 75% of door takings instead - hence why its never less than £30 to see him. Apparently, after Goodgreef booked him, by the time they'd paid for the promoting costs and everything else that goes with running a night, they made just short of a grand profit - and vowed not to book anyone like that again. I'm not sure how true that is - but i've heard similar horror stories about Tiesto's demands before. He drives an Aston Martin though - so he's clearly not being paid peanuts.

I think out of the "big three", Armin is the only one that hasn't got greedy. You can still go and see him for £15 a ticket. Its unusual to see PvD for that, and impossible to see Tiesto for that.

Jules is one of the more generous DJ's. He works his fee out based on the size of the venue/brand he's playing for. For example, he's not going to charge a promotor that is starting off in a 300 capacity venue the same as he would Gatecrasher in a 3000 capacity venue. Fair play to Jules for that.

Some DJ's are really good value for money too - they're not all greedy. Adam Sheridan and Lange are bargains - especially when you consider DJ's that aren't as high-profile as them are charging almost double their fee.

I'd gladly take a cut of the takings at the door any day. Although you do rely a bit more on the club promoting the event then.

I'd gladly take a cut of the takings at the door any day. Although you do rely a bit more on the club promoting the event then.

Yeah but 75% at venues which hold 30,000 people plus (the majority of his events now are at arenas and stadiums)? Thats just sheer greed. I'm happy to play for a couple of drinks.

Yeah but 75% at venues which hold 30,000 people plus (the majority of his events now are at arenas and stadiums)? Thats just sheer greed. I'm happy to play for a couple of drinks.

True. Nice work if you can get it though :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived