PC Leads

bigsteve

Seriously, how many different types of leads do you need these days to connect stuff to your PC. First there's the essentials, the power lead, the monitor, the printer, the mouse, the broadband and the sound system. Then for music on the move its the iPod lead, then to upload pictures off the phone that has a lead too. For quality pics, the camera has a connection. For video, the camcorder has another connection. When I'm feeling like it, the webcam gets plugged in too (which also means taking the above mentioned sound system lead out). Then the external hard drive needs a connection too. So does the lead from the decks. Its not as if a multi-USB connector would help either - most of them are different. You'd think some of these could be standardised wouldn't you?

Rant over.

get down on the ground will ya? :)

USB and Firewire for external peripherals... both have been standard for quite some years now.

eSata for external HDs if you're fancy.

PS2 connections for mouse & keyboard and the parallel port (for printers) is pretty much dead these days, overtaken by USB...

Mini-jack is still standard as audio out (both for headphones and line out). Again if you're fancy, you can use the digital SPDIF... (hooked to an 5.1 surround receiver).

To be honest, i can't see the problem, but maybe that's just me ;)

PS.

USB = Universal Serial Bus

What's Fuzzy on about? Have I got to spend more money on connecting things? Why don't things come with these wonder-leads?

Don't know about wonder-leads. I do know about wonderbra, although this is might not be of any practical use for your PC at this stage? Give it time though!

wonderbra.jpg

What's Fuzzy on about? Have I got to spend more money on connecting things? Why don't things come with these wonder-leads?

Wonder-leads?.... well, if you're talking about the 10meter wireless cable i saw on eBay a few years ago, i'm with ya!

Sure it would be nice with 100% wireless connectivity, but given what we have, i think it's nice that USB/Firewire is the standards for connecting external units to PC/Mac.

I might be misunderstanding you... do you want a truely universal lead that plugs in to anything™ ?

One thing i think is worth ranting about, is the fact that a very little percentage of cellphones are capable of being recharged by USB (mini-USB of course).

Any MP3 player with respect for itself has that feature, but cell phones... no no!

I think the argument isn't what plugs into the pc, its the connection at the other end.

Unfortunatley companies refuse to use standard connections (like you get on hard drives for example) so that you have to buy there's if you lose / break the one for their product.

Apple are exceptionally good at this ;)

I think the argument isn't what plugs into the pc, its the connection at the other end.

Spot on. I understand USB hubs, but its all the different connections needed these days. I have a pile of leads that all connect various things in, like cameras, camcorders, phones (2 types in the house), etc, etc.

Spot on. I understand USB hubs, but its all the different connections needed these days. I have a pile of leads that all connect various things in, like cameras, camcorders, phones (2 types in the house), etc, etc.

Exactly, its all the different connections needed which takes some getting use to (remembering which lead belongs to which gadget) and then there are the chargers that go with the cameras, phones etc, a nightmare when you go on holiday.

Archived