eBay

bigsteve

A bought a book on eBay last week and paid straight away as it was a Buy It Now (and in any case, I had to, as the seller insisted on it.) Over the weekend I had an email claiming to be from eBay but it wasn't in the usual format, so I presumed it wa Spam and deleted it.

The book turned up today, but I'm pretty sure it should have been a hard back, but I was sent a paperback. So, I log into eBay to check the listing and see I have an email from eBay. It turns out the above email was genuine after all, and it said that the book I purchased had been removed from the listings as it didn't meet the criteria (it was very vague) and I wasn't obliged to complete the purchase - not very useful on a Buy It Now item, insisting on immediate payment. So, because eBay have removed the item, all the links are now dead and I can't see if I'm right or wrong about it being a paperback or hardback. (This might all sound a bit trivial, but the paperback would have been much cheaper on Amazon and I only checked eBay in case it was cheaper.)

So, eBay have caused me problems by removing the listing and sending an email to me way later than when I paid - surely they should have realised I had paid and refunded the money straightaway? I have contacted eBay and the seller, but I'm not too hopeful on this one.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to. It sounds like there's problems with the seller as he/she has no listings on atm and he is a PowerSeller. All very strange. I've emailed the seller, so I'll have to wait to see if I get a response first. Thanks for the advice Aza.

Ebay is s***!!!

I don't use it, I do look there but what a pain in the arse.

I buy from reputable sites if I need to or friends, if I really want some second hand crap I go to a boot fair where I can at least see the articles before I pay!

I did try and sell a few things once upon a time on Ebay but i'd rather give something away nowadays.

It seems this is on the way to a resolution too after the seller responded. He has offered a full refund and I've to return the item to his freepost address. Clearly I'll make sure I get a certficate of posting, but his PayPal account has been suspended too, so no idea how he will refund me.

:lol:

Ive used ebay since 2003ish and has no problems that havent been resolved.

I did once buy something from someone that was the actual product described so no problem there but a few days later after receiving item getting a email from ebay saying not to buy from this person, all it meant was we couldnt leave feedback for each other, he mustve been flogging a few other items that went against policy.

Unless the sellers going to send you a cheque Steve, Im not quite sure how youll get are fund untill his paypals back up and running again.

• 1 month later...

OMG I bought some things off of Ebay last week, first time ever bought stuff from there, I done what I was supposed to do and left feedback, paid instantly etc etc, and I left someone neutral feedback because when I recieved the CD it was WET!! I didn't know if it was wet when they sent it but the cardboard cover is now in the bin and the T/L is blurry now.

So I said that too, on my thing. They just sent me a snotty email, I looked them up and they still have 100% positive feedback it says. Now I hate Ebay again! Bastards, if I wanted hate mail I'd have kept my old username on the JJ board!

Ooh actually that's my ebay name, maybe it's jinxed.

Can I re-register ebay and pay pal??

When things don't work out as expected, its always better to contact the seller first as this gives them a chance to put things right. Also, when you leave them neutral feedback, it does what it says on the tin - neither a positive or a negative score is left.

I should add that I did receive a refund for the book that I went off on one about at the start of this thread.

Archived