What is the word / term I am looking for?

Aza

I've been struggling to find a describing word/phrase for the following scenarios and was wondering any of you could help.

1) I'm not sure if the term is 'media bias', but how would describe the following:

- You send out a questionnaire to 10 people, 70% of responses are negative, whilst the remaining 30% are positive. Later, when describing the results, the report focuses on just those comments from the positive 30% to say how good things have been going.

- Furthermore, the news does the same thing, in an interview, someone is describing something, but it has been edited to make it seem like they sound something - although it's not in full.

"We played well and I'm happy with the team, but we could've done better" said the manager. The news then edit that and put out the following headline. Man Utd could do better!

2) How do you describe someone based on the following context:

Scenario 1:

- Person 1: "I'll come and meet you by the shop"

- Person 2: "No, what are you on about. I don't expect you to walk over this part of town just for me, don't worry about it"

- Person 1: "I insist. I didn't say that you expect me to meet you by there, I offered".

-Person 2: "No don't be silly, don't worry about it"

Scenario 2:

- Person 1: "Hi, how ya doing?"

- Person 2: "I'm ok, thanks"

- Person 1: "You sure? You don't seem it?"

- Person 2: "What makes you say that? Everything is great, why wouldn't it be?"

With scenario 2, I was person 2 and everything was fine and there was no reason for it to be otherwise, but just this persons 'drama' behaviour, the conversation begins to flip by them suggesting I do not seem fine, when really in all honesty, everything is.

Edit: Another scenario...

Person 1: I'll come over to pick it up shortly.

Person 2: Could you give me an hour as I need to get ready.

Person 1: Oh, don't worry then, I won't come over.

Person 1 - has completely gone mad, making a right meal out of it. I can't quite put my finger on how to describe them!

The last scenario seems to me to be a Drama Queen - but not sure if that is the phrase you are looking for to be able to use in something formal?

Main Entry: drama queen

Function: noun

: a person given to often excessively emotional performances or reactions

This surely has to be the most bizarre and radnom thread ever, all rolled into one!

Cheers, Steve.

Random indeed, but this open chat ;) Nah, these scenarios have been playing themselves out to me quite a lot lately and I can't quite put my finger on the correct term.

Re the 2nd scenario, if I were to tell this person the term that I am looking for, then maybe they will realise!

Drama queen is definately along the right lines, but thought there might be a word that may be a bit more formal :)

The first scenario, I'm thinking 'accentuate'? What do you think?

Round my way we just say "Bulls***!"

That's more random than my post!

Accentuate and emphasis seems to be the nail on the first scenario, cheers Steve :) Scene 2 is a bit more difficult!

Maybe Mr Traill may be able to help?

I like these. I chose a module at Uni a few years ago to do with propaganda and persuasion which was very revealing to exactly the type of bias you listed in your first example, Aza!

1) is spin - deliberate misrepresentation of facts by the manipulator in order to mislead the recipient of that info into coming to (the manipulator's) desired conclusion. Media outlets all over the world do it all the time, but you can argue that every piece of media news or statement has an angle by nature, whether intentional or not.... (discuss! :sleeping: )

2) In those 3 scenarios, I would describe Person 1 a being a difficult bastard. :D

Person 1 exacerbates a situation by overcomplicating a simple everyday conversation, leading to person 2 being defensive.

Archived