Woolworths

Quadrant

Glad it's going. Never anything in there apart from chavs nicking 1p sweets and blocking the doorways with bikes and silly string.

I went into my local (Woolworths) last weekend and there was nothing in there. It was very odd inside with all the shelves being empty, it was like it was being looted... a strange sensation, if you get what I mean?

OMG I just posted this somewhere else, anyway I'll say it again

I was in there today they are selling their shelving, it's so sad, I felt like crying coz then I went in the Disney store for my sons Birthday pressie and they shut in two days aswell and it was empty !! I missed all the good bargains in there, I told the assistant I was sorry they were closing, actually it's starting to make me angry that we are all in this mess now and it's gonna be many years to get better and actually I never done anything wrong in the first place, yet will still suffer!

I was skint before this mess, but so quickly it is such a worry!

Took some photos of it all empty and it's please pay here sign I will post it up when I work out how.

I actually had to do my work experience in there, I walked out after a day and a half, as it wasn't working with Music like they'd promised me at school the Bastards!!!

As much as it is sad to see such a well known shop closing down, Woolworths isn't exactly the cream of the British retail trade is it? Fair play that it has been successful and managed to sell such a diverse range of goods but supermarkets sell all goods available in Woolworths and more. If 99% of people wanted a DVD or kids clothing, they aren't going to go to Woolworths are they? They'll go to ADSA, Tesco et al.

I actually went in Woolworths Bolton branch today whilst visiting my cousins for the Man Utd game and I was shocked at the cost of stuff seen as though it was an 'all must go sale'. DVD's were reduced by a couple of quid and they were all crap titles from years ago?? Not surprised the shelves were still rammed!

If you watch the news regularly it's almost a daily occurrence although not all of those calling in the administrators are well known.

The country isn't officially in recession as that cannot be calculated until the end of the current quarter but financial experts would tell you that it's inevitable. They say that it will effect Joe public until the summer at least.

Now they do yes, well personally I wouldn't go to Asda (espesh for food) and actually kids clothes from Woollies were far better quality and better made and washed up nicer than anything I've had from Tesco or Primark.

However I don't think I'd ever buy DVDs or CD's etc from Woollies!

I did buy my first ironing board, Xmas decs, and those odd things you need around the house that no other shop does from Woolworths though!

I'll miss'em.

For the public in general, I think longer-term, its a good thing that some of these shops are going bust.

For years, most of the big name shops have been ripping us off something chronic. They buy items in from wholesalers, etc for a fiver - and then charge us £30. Ok, they've got to make profit - but there's a difference between profit and greed. People have noticed this, and now they've gone to cheaper alternatives - ie, ordering online or even importing from abroad (I actually started doing this quite a lot before the pound became so weak).

Now that a recession looms and people have less money and stores notice that shops are going bust left, right and centre, the stores remaining will start to lower their prices to get us back again.

There are too many greedy directors out there. For example, when petrol prices went up to nearly £1.15 a litre in the spring, supermarkets put the price of food up quite severely because it was costing them more in fuel to transport food from distributors, etc. Now, petrol has gone down to a 2-year low of 85p a litre - yet supermarkets haven't put their prices down to reflect that. As soon as fuel goes up again, they're no doubt raise their prices again.

Also, some shops aren't passing on the 15% VAT to customers. They're still charging us the 17.5%, but only paying the government 15% - so they're making an extra 2.5% profit. These are probably the shops that are paying their staff the minimum wage whilst the directors are earning £100,000 per year and driving around in a £60,000 'company' Jaguar. These are the greedy shops and deserve to go bust.

Yeah but somehow I don't think Woolworths was ripping us off that bad!

Personally I have always shopped around and tried for the best value/deal etc, not just now when we are told to, but always! Otherwise my family would be hungry and naked, so actually shopping for me now is no different. The only thing I did really notice was when food was going up and up and up, as every week I strived to bring the weekly shops price down, it was still getting higher and higher, and altho petrol was supposedly the cause I couldn't see how a 50% rise in some of the items on my shopping list was an equivalent, I think aswell that it wasn't only an excuse for them to put prices up more than necessary, but actually petrol needn't have been that expensive in the first place.

Now we all say it's cheaper but actually it's STILL way over what it started out at!

The rip off thing shops do to me is when they sell me something like a Kids cam corder and I later find out I have to go and spend another tenner on an SD card for it, or a V-Smile for the TV and later have to spend a tenner on a 9v Adaptor to plug it in, IF these things are needed to use my new product they should be included, even if it brings up the price of it. It annoys me!!

Then again I have had people asking me could they buy a Wii console without a contoller or a game and I'm like "what you gonna do then, just sit it in the corner and look at it" (even when it's no more expensive to get the package!

It's not something to be shocked at that supermarkets & corporations in general attempt to rip people off really is it?

Banks are the worst for it & now they're all struggling as their collosal greed has caught up with them. Any establishment offering 125% mortgages & other such ridiculous 'deals' will always get caught out. The fact that it has happened the way it has only serves to further emphasise their shady tactics & underhand approach.

What is really annoying is that the governments (not just ours but all over) bail out these companies & see that the perpetrators of this recession continue to live the life of luxury with their fat bonuses, while ordinary people have no 'bail out' & have to suffer repossesions & general hardship

What is really annoying is that the governments (not just ours but all over) bail out these companies & see that the perpetrators of this recession continue to live the life of luxury with their fat bonuses, while ordinary people have no 'bail out' & have to suffer repossesions & general hardship

Really annoys me too :angry:

Really annoys me too :angry:

Me too! I shall be having words when I go back to work too because I was asked, and agreed, to take a 10% pay cut to help save our company, and the directors claim to have taken a 17% cut - but then two days later, I found out that my boss pays his wifes credit card bill out of the company money, and my boss pays his personal fuel usage out of the company money too.

I'm not going to take a pay cut whilst my boss is taking 'luxuries' out of the companys so-called "struggling" bank balance - particularly when he's paying his wife's credit card bill who doesn't work for us, and isn't down as a shareholder either.

In what way exactly? Really don't get this point.

I agree. The internet has made music far more accessible and artists have risen out of the internet. Before, music was (largely) reliant on being played on radio & TV to get wide publicity.

Everyone says its a shame abnout Woolies going under, but hardly anyone could name their last purchase there. It was poor management in not seeing what was coming and adapting to changing needs. They sold too much stuff and didn't focus on 'core activities.' Their kids clothes and toys was the road they should have gone down and stripped away stuff like DVDs, CDs (which are cheaper on tinernet) and all the rubbish homeware stuff hidden at the back of the shop. I also found their shop layout in chevrons style didn't make it a good layout to browse the store.

In what way exactly? Really don't get this point.

oh man, serisouly, it is. I'm not the only one thinking it either. Firstly, record labels cant be making as much money as what they used to. Surely in the end, this will force certain labels to close up shop. File sharing networks haven't helped things either. If i was in a band and new my material was just being downloaded for free, i'd be pretty p***ed off. Also theres now no way artists can build any hype on a tune, people simply look on said file sharing websites and download it. We've certainly not had a band that are like Oasis, or Radiohead or anyone like that - big big bands since the download revolution. With dance music for example, gone are the days where a white label would come around getting everyone buzzing for that particular tune. It's now a case of someone making a tune in their bedroom and uploading to an online shop. Sometimes the really good tunes just get lost in the sheer amount of releases. Tunes now are just so much more diposable.

Artists can still create hype. There's been many dance tunes that I have been chasing, only to have to wait ages for a release of them. In some cases I have heard the tune that much, and the delay before release, has meant I have even gone off the tune and then don't buy it.

You talk about the lack of big bands being discovered - Artic Monkeys sprung from the internet didn't they?

Surely its a good thing that there is now an abundance of tunes around? Good tunes will always get found by someone and get plugged through 'social networking' sites.

If labels are closing because of the interent, its because they haven't adapted to the market. Record bosses were at first ignoring the internet and tried to outlaw downloading. Eventually they realised there was a market for MP3s to be sold legally and the resugence of singles sales to include downloads is evident of the turnaround.

Im gonna briefly put my two pence worth in and agree with Mr Krumps arguement about the internet slowly killing high street stores - How can stores like woolworths compete with the likes of amazon and play.com that practically sell everything that woolys does with no of the over heads of a high street store ie. staff, leases, local taxes, advertising etc etc. Im not saying these sites are cheap to run but they dont compare to having hundreds of stores throughout the country. Im am sad to see stores like that shut down but why go into town and pay more when you can buy something for cheaper in less time over the net than its taken me to write this response...

i think the internet is great especially for tunes,ever since i switched to cds over 2 years ago i could get tunes that i couldnt get on record,you just search pay and download ;) ,here in dublin there was only one record shop that sells all sorts of music trance,hard house,r&b but sometimes crazy prices €15 for a record,why pay that when you could get it on beatport or audiojelly for €1.50

also tunes i was looking for they could not get them in for monthes by the time he got them i didnt want them,i could have shoped else where on the net but crazy prices aswell to be delivered to dublin

The way that retail is going soon enough the big four retailers will have their share of everything. Tesco already competes in about 1,000,000 different markets & due to their sheer bulk & economies of scale they can run anyone they like out of business

Im gonna briefly put my two pence worth in and agree with Mr Krumps arguement about the internet slowly killing high street stores - How can stores like woolworths compete with the likes of amazon and play.com that practically sell everything that woolys does with no of the over heads of a high street store ie. staff, leases, local taxes, advertising etc etc. Im not saying these sites are cheap to run but they dont compare to having hundreds of stores throughout the country. Im am sad to see stores like that shut down but why go into town and pay more when you can buy something for cheaper in less time over the net than its taken me to write this response...

Simple - DIVERSIFY

The market has shifted and Woolworths and other stores have failed to act and have now paid the price

Newquay ones closed!

BTW Did you have a good time in Newquay-l'm sure we would all like to hear how you got on.

Penzance Woolworths closed last Sat as did the one in St Ives. St Ives have very few chain stores in the town ie; Boots, Edinbugh Wool, and the Co-op are the only ones l can think of all the rest are independant shops. The Woolworths in St Ives was unique as it was on 3 floors sold stuff you didn't see in other branches of Woolworths and had a prime position overlooking the harbour serving both the locals and holidaymakers and was the biggest shop in the town. I just hope the building isn't converted into holiday flats :o

Archived