briggsy 1, Car Insurance 0

Briggsy

After years of being ripped off, I decided to change my 'honest John' approach.

I've been with Direct Line for 8 years because they've always been the cheapest (and still were when they quoted for my new renewal which starts in Feb). Anyway, MoreThan wanted to quote me, so I let them, and they quoted more than Direct Line - so I said I wasn't interested because Direct Line quoted cheaper. I told them Direct Line quoted me £313, so MoreThan said they'd beat it - £312 with less excess - so I accepted.

Direct Line actually quoted me £440! Mwahahahaah *evil grin* :lol:

After years of being ripped off, I decided to change my 'honest John' approach.

I've been with Direct Line for 8 years because they've always been the cheapest (and still were when they quoted for my new renewal which starts in Feb). Anyway, MoreThan wanted to quote me, so I let them, and they quoted more than Direct Line - so I said I wasn't interested because Direct Line quoted cheaper. I told them Direct Line quoted me £313, so MoreThan said they'd beat it - £312 with less excess - so I accepted.

Direct Line actually quoted me £440! Mwahahahaah *evil grin* :lol:

I went to confused . com and got the best quote I could.

Direct line are well dear usually but probably a better company when and if you ever come to need them. They quoted me 1200 per year to insure the Subaru, even though it had a good alarm and tracking device. Bloody car. I'm with marks and Spencers now, yes Marks and Spencer do car insurance, and it's 10 pound per month!!! BARGAIN!

It is worth shopping around and bartering!

I went to confused . com and got the best quote I could.

Direct line are well dear usually but probably a better company when and if you ever come to need them. They quoted me 1200 per year to insure the Subaru, even though it had a good alarm and tracking device. Bloody car. I'm with marks and Spencers now, yes Marks and Spencer do car insurance, and it's 10 pound per month!!! BARGAIN!

It is worth shopping around and bartering!

Its weird how some people find some companies to be cheap, and then others find them expensive. One of my mates was always quoted expensive prices by direct line, yet i've always had really good quotes that nobody else could beat - part from Zurich who were £20 cheaper, but for the sake of £20 a year, it was never worth the hassle of changing.

I'm a happy chap now anyway - a saving of over £100 a year :D

Its weird how some people find some companies to be cheap, and then others find them expensive. One of my mates was always quoted expensive prices by direct line, yet i've always had really good quotes that nobody else could beat - part from Zurich who were £20 cheaper, but for the sake of £20 a year, it was never worth the hassle of changing.

I'm a happy chap now anyway - a saving of over £100 a year :D

Well it's because it depends on your car and occupation doesn't. For instance I used to work in a hospital but because it was a Private one we were licensed to sell alcohol which lifted the insurance on our cars, my brother in law is a Management consultant, and a consultant has higher insurance than a doctor, so when he was a doctor his insurance was lower, although he is obviously the same man driving his car!

No one else would insure the Subaru and I had to go with Direct line att, but I soon dumped them when i got insurance for the same car much much cheaper!

On confused you put in the amount you have ;) ;) already been quoted too!!

I always shop around, the price comparison sites will only save you so much aswell, if you go direct then you can save more. More Than were good for me a couple of years back as they gave a years free roadside assistance included in the quote

i used to be one to accept whatever i was quoted, then i heard my old man haggle with someone in Dixons. It was quite interesting to watch, he was buying a new TV and i think he got about 15% off it in the end. This was about 4 years ago. Now, i'm a stickler for price comparison and shopping around - especially as i now live on my own, and every penny counts.

I dread the day I have to get a quote for my first car ... the insurance will be more than the car is worth I bet.

Yeah! My mate was 18 when he passed his test and he got a Fiat Punto that cost £1500. His insurance was £1000.

When you pass your test, go for Pass Plus - it costs an extra 6 lessons, but its worth it because it gives you one years no claims discount right from the start. It knocked about £500 off my insurance when I did it.

Alternatively, you could drive with an "incorrect licence" (ie, a provisional license because they haven't even passed a driving test), no tax, no mot, no insurance - and just get a £150 fine. That really p***es me off when I see that in the courts section of our evening telegraph down here. Nearly every night there's at least one in there. Until there's a decent punishment, people will continue to drive illegally while muggins here pays through the nose to drive legally. It has to be said, its usually foreigners or chavs that are guilty of that.

Nice one Briggsy :)

I too have been with Direct Line for last few years because they have been the cheapest...

I guess you called them though? I have never made a call to get quotes for insurance, it's all done online for me - maybe will give that a try next time.

I figure they need customers and cash quickly too so did such a deal esp in this currnet 'economic climate' :)

Nice one Briggsy :)

I too have been with Direct Line for last few years because they have been the cheapest...

I guess you called them though? I have never made a call to get quotes for insurance, it's all done online for me - maybe will give that a try next time.

I figure they need customers and cash quickly too so did such a deal esp in this currnet 'economic climate' :)

No mate, I got a few online quotes, and then MoreThan phoned me.

I'll be calling Direct Line soon to cancel my policy - they don't do price matches so there's no point asking them to try to beat it.

Ah riiiiiiiittttttteeee - I think I tick the boxes to say 'dont f***ing contact me' while I get quotes cos they do my nut!

Have done the same with broadband simply to test my line speed and then these gits call me up trying to find out who I'm with and when contract ends!

Archived