Putting a CV together

Briggsy

Anybody that knows anything about human resources will tell you to make it no longer than one page. There's no point in rambling on about stuff totally pointless either. If the page is concise and easy to read the employer will take more note.

I once read a list of Ricky Gervais 'Office' phrases. There was a humorous one about CV's:

"Avoid unlucky employees; throw half the CV's in the bin" :lol::lol:

I absolutely loathe updating my CV, it's one of those things that is a bit time consuming and frustrating, but when you get a template sorted that you like, it's easy to amend.

I definately need to cut mine down - Uber is right that it should really only be one or two sides! But I divide it like this:

A tip I received is to put all of your skills/work experience first (after your name on top).

I then detail my valid work experience (in the past 3-5 years) and give an overview of duties/experience

Then i've split out my soft skills into 3 diff categories:

- Communication Skills

- Time mangement

- Teamwork

I then put my main contact details after this:

Home address

Telephone nos

Date & Place of Birth

Nationality

EDUCATION - You can leave off GCSE details - leave on your most recent/relevant quals for the job.

I think if you just search for "CV Templates" on the web, you'll find a few - The Times does a good one for graduates that you can adapt I think?

most bigwigs are "facts only" type of guys. Keep it short and sweet.

Mine reads quite good and makes me a perfect employee, which of course I actually am.

Have you googled it, I'm sure there's a place where you fill in the gaps for CV kinda thing, or on learn direct or something, I just put down some dates and got my Brother in law to do it as he employs people all the time as part of his job and he earns tons so he prob know what he's doing!!

Dates of education, jobs and qualifications, also what responsibilities you held at those jobs, any clubs or voluntary work you done that looks good, ie Special Constabulary, cleaning your local church.

About yourself, enthusiastic, reliable, hard working, punctual, able to work alone as well as part of a team etc etc.

I have done a touch of recruitment and even though you know people write these things to look good, it still works when they do.

SPELL CHECK, or better still get some one to proof read it, I can do that! :)

Name

Contact details

Education

Work Experience

Voluntary work

Hobbies and Interests

Make sure you get your dates right as they will pick up on gaps

Keep to one side of A4

The covering letter is where you can really sell yourself, put things in that won't fit on the CV, tailoring to the job-why you are applying, why you are the right person...JUST GIVE ME THE JOB

Hope that helps

On the CV present it nicely, underline the titles, maybe put your name and contact details in the centre at the top.

just use a wizard in word or something for "resume" it makes it sooo much easier and cut the crap out you dont need

in mine are the following sections in the following order :-

Personal information

Education

Awards Received

Further Education & Qualifications

Work Experience

Volenteer Experience

Interests & Activities

it should be NO more than 2 pages long and kept as brief but 2 the point as possible.

Archived