Global Gathering 2009

Depends on whether you go for the weekend or just the Saturday. Personally I'd just do the Saturday to avoid living like a hobo in a tent all weekend and so I can go extra hard at it on the Saturday.

I doub't I'll go. It was a bit of a chav fest when I went and so a few years on I expect it's worse now :( . The ability of people's dancing will likely have decreased even further also as I notice that whenever I go to a club. Lot's of pointing in the air and cringeworthy 'hand's in the air' moments :unsure: .

I'm not sure what I would do because I would drive myself there .. maybe go just for Saturday and stay at a Holiday Inn or Premier Lodge type thing :lol: I wouldn't mind camping but I wouldn't want to lose anything, especially where I am going to actually sleep!

From what I am aware of, with Global and Creamfields you have virtually every style of music on offer in the different tents and arenas. I can see myself staying in one place all the time, then getting home and finding on you tube another tent was playing better tunes!

If you've never been to Global before, then you've gotta go once to experience it - its good, but after that, the line-ups are pretty much the same year after year so then it becomes a bit 'seen it all before'.

At over £140+ a ticket though, plus a tenner for a luke-warm burger and 12 chips, plus £4 a drink, its not the best value for money considering you can see most of the DJ's across the UK at various clubs.

Apart from Escape Into The Park, I think my UK festival days are over. I used to get to go free, but now i'm having to pay, it's not really worth the money.

Oh, and paying the extra to camp isn't really worth it - why sleep in a tend in the cold and wet, worrying about your belongings, plus the hassle of putting a tent up and down, when you can stay at a hotel 10 miles down the road for a similar cost - and get a decent fried breakfast chcuked in for the price rather than having to pay an extra £8 for a shrivelled up sausage in a stale roll, which is whats on offer at Global.

I am a constant worrier about my belongings ... so camping at an event like Global would mean I won't be having a great time cos all I will be doing is wondering if the pikey next door is having a good nose about :rolleyes:

For me an event like Global is ideal, because it would be my first musical experience ever - and I would get to see all these famous DJ's for real that I have listened to for years on my computay. I bet all of you can remember the first time you saw some famous DJ's, or any DJ you had admired for that matter?

I am a constant worrier about my belongings ... so camping at an event like Global would mean I won't be having a great time cos all I will be doing is wondering if the pikey next door is having a good nose about :rolleyes:

For me an event like Global is ideal, because it would be my first musical experience ever - and I would get to see all these famous DJ's for real that I have listened to for years on my computay. I bet all of you can remember the first time you saw some famous DJ's, or any DJ you had admired for that matter?

Global isn't that bad really for tents being broken into - they're about the best of the bunch, but it does still happen so its best to find alternative arrangements if you can. Thankfully, I only live 15 minutes away, so I just drive home :D

The only act I have seen self-confirm so far is Orbital, they are doing reunion shows this summer so should be good - one of the pioneering dance acts from back in the day. I'm hopefully booking tickets to see them at Brixton in September.

I reckon for the same amount of money Global are charging you could do Dance Valley or Mystery Land in Holland, both are daytime events about 40-50 euros for tickets and if you book in advance you can get a cheesyjet flight and make a weekend of it....The Dutch festivals are certainly something to experience, hoping to go to DV this year if the line-up is good enough!

Orbital live would be cool, especially if they did Dr?

But at that price I think a re-think on the board meet-up is in order, coz I can't see alot of us paying over 100 for it!!!

Youtube Video ->

Would like to see them though, I might go anyway!

aah Dr? is so quality! I got my tickets for Brixton this morning, come along to that Lynn, it's gonna be a bit special :)

Sorry where's the treck> Global or Brixton, I can get to Brixton easy enough, is it near the Fridge ?

I dunno what this thread is about anymore? lol

If i see Orbital I'd rather it was at Global tbh!! I am quite fancying Global gathering because it's normally on my birthday!! And is good, and hot and .....................not as far as Creamfields!

Sorry where's the treck> Global or Brixton, I can get to Brixton easy enough, is it near the Fridge ?

I dunno what this thread is about anymore? lol

If i see Orbital I'd rather it was at Global tbh!! I am quite fancying Global gathering because it's normally on my birthday!! And is good, and hot and .....................not as far as Creamfields!

hehe, sorry yeah I meant Brixton ;) It's at the Academy, which is the other end of the main high street. My bad I've kinda made this thread go off in a tangent....oops!

I agree with Briggsy that if you've not been it really is a great experience. If the weather is good (a long shot I know) then it's an amazing atmosphere. You obviously get to see a plethora of DJs & can explore a lot too, I know that a few people who have travelled down that would never pay to see a certain DJ (e.g. Digweed) but have seen him play for a while as he's on when no-one else they wanted to check out is playing. You can really take in different atmospheres & vibes in the different tents.

Only problem is that a lot of the same tunes get played over & over, the DJs seem to play all of the 'hits' & big tunes. I know that when I went to Global in 2004 virtually everyone played Katana 'In Silence' & a good 3 or 4 DJs played Remy & Roland Klinkenberg 'Till Ya Drop'. You don't get the kinda progression you get at a club night (a good one anyway) but you do get to see pretty much all the big names in one or two days

I went to the first one actually and I was particularly waiting for Mauro Picotto who didn't come on until LAST and by then I had heard Joy energiser in every way shape and form and so when he dropped it, in morning daylight I thought sod this and went back to my friends car for chocolate!!

I like the way you can look at all the different line ups and prioritise who and when you are gonna see what!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking....

I would go to to global if....

One: I have the money and that is a yes

Two: I can get there

Three: I find someone to go with

Four: If they have drum and bass there. If not then why would I want to go???

Archived