Emy's proper poll

Number2Fan

What age did you start DJing  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now I'm assuming it means getting your records and playing them to others, and not MIXING tunes. Because I actually did do DJing before I got my own decks and mixer. Anyway, I'm sure you can explain in your replies!

Mine is about 12 years old, making tapes for friends, about 14 bit of hospital radio, then 17 DJing out and about, then 23 mixing proper and DJing parties and now just at home playing my own tunes that I love to myself and my children normally!!!

Got my first set of decks aged 19, was a spur of the moment thing really. I'd always wanted to get into DJing but had been pretty apathetic about it, was sitting in the pub after uni with a mate a couple of days after seeing Armin & thought sod it I'm gona go check out the local music store. Walked in & saw they had an offer on some decks so went home got some money & brought them.

Got my CDJs just over 2 yrs ago now

Nope, I really meant at what age did you get your decks :)

Oh 23 then.

But like I say....................................I done DJing before that!

Basically I was unable to do the DJing with my friend anymore (for whatever reasons) and got my own decks as before that I had always used his equipment!! We shared tunes, though! Anyway.........I missed it, and had always been a bit more on the dancey side. I'll be 35 this year.

17 - get my set of Technics from someone on JJ.net forums many years ago - great guy - can't for the life of me think of his name, but he even came down and delivered to me from Cambridge.

I got myself 2x 1210's and a basic mixes, 2 record boxes (with loads of tunes too) and borrowed some £s from family, which then kicked me up the backside to get a job and start working part-time whilst doing A Levels and also repay the kind help I received from family in the borrowing of the £s :)

Was around 16, At my college we had this guy who used to DJ at many local clubs in Bournemouth, we got chatting, Yadda yadda bout DJing in clubs, When one time he asked if I'd be up for helping him start up a night, he gave me 2 weeks to learn how to mix, needless to say on the night I wasn't that great (Good Job I only did the warm up DJ), but the Night was a complete success.

And after many weeks of being determined to be good at DJing it finally clicked! And I've never looked back since.

Have a HUGE collection of Vinyl gathering layer upon layer of dust, and bout 3-4 years ago bout myself a cheap CD deck (Some Numark Axis think was the name) it was ok but very limited. Saved up some dollar to get myself a pair CDJ1000's and then completely switched to 100% CD's since.

So been DJing for 14 years, and I'd still say I need loadsa practise! LOL :rolleyes::P

Lucky you

I bought mine February 2007...um surely I must remember the exact date? But no, I remember the massive Numark Battledeck box and setting them up real quick and easy :)

They were about £272 for the whole set up

I came close to buying Numark battle decks but then my dad brought me to my senses about my age and the direction of vinyl in the DJ'ing society. I want to get some CDJ's but I would like a set which look cool and do the job properly, so the cheaper options are no good - and I plan to buy a car soon with my savings (and we all must know how much damage motoring does to the bank!)

I have quite a taseful 4 figure some sat in the bank yes ... and you know ... since I start University in September I won't be able to drive a car for long if I buy one now. It's just lots of money to spend at once and that scares me. I buy about 5 films per week but they are the cheap bargains.

If I didn't buy a car though, it would be 4 years until I could sit behind a wheel properly again and by that time I will have forgotten it all :o

I know when I look back on my teenage years I will just be gutted and depressive about it ... they certainly aren't exciting! My 18th, for example, was a drive in my brothers car then stood talking to his friends in Maccy D's car park :rolleyes:

I deserve a treat in CDJ/Ministry of Sound form :D

I used to. Now I don't bother, I've given up and I know whats more important. Plus I cannot have anything I really would like to have so there's no point!!

All I would like though,is to get out clubbing more but my friends all retired ages ago. :( This is frustrating!! But TBH I always had this kinda prob, friends not liking Jules, not wanting to travel to Gatecrasher, letting me down, etc etc.

It's quite unfair really.

I want to go to Ibiza this year but it is so hard to make this happen, I can't go on my own. :(

Archived