Gatecrasher Nottingham Fire

simonross46

I see a trend coming on with Gatecrasher and fires. First is was Gatecrasher One and now Gatecrasher in Nottingham.

I received an email from an events group who were planning a night at the Nottingham venue saying that it will not go ahead due to the club catching fire. Aparently restorations will take place but I'm not getting my hopes up after the Gatecrasher One fires and what they have done with that since.

I see a trend coming on with Gatecrasher and fires. First is was Gatecrasher One and now Gatecrasher in Nottingham.

I received an email from an events group who were planning a night at the Nottingham venue saying that it will not go ahead due to the club catching fire. Aparently restorations will take place but I'm not getting my hopes up after the Gatecrasher One fires and what they have done with that since.

I actually fore saw the Gatecrasher fire in a dream!!! A long time ago now, but SPOOKY EH!

No! I have nightmares and they are far worse than that dream.

I was standing in the queue waiting to go in, very excited, and there was a smell of smoke and then it burnt and I was bothered that I had gona all that way and couldn't go clubbing!!

Shortly after that, it burned down.

I also had a dream once that I was dancing on a podium and Jules was DJing and he had dirty bandages wrapped around his hands, and then I got my leg caught in a ceiling decoration and was kinda hanging there by one leg, on a large curtain swag!!

Obviously I hope the latter wont come true, but just in case, I did email Jules att to make sure his hands were insured! :)

It was up on the Gatecrasher website the other day. Its not the club that's caught fire - it's the building next door. The club has just suffered smoke damage - so they're using the opportunity to refurbish the club again apparently.

Like Simon says though, what Crasher say and do are two different things - so no doubt "because of the current financial situation", they won't be able to afford to refurbish it, they'll sell it on, and instead, open a brand new club called Gatecrasher 401 in Berwick-Upon-Tweed or something - like when they claimed to rebuild Gatecrasher One in Sheffield, but a club appeared in Birmingham instead <_<

I was thinking the same the other day. Once upon a time, when people said they were going to Gatecrasher, I could have a good conversation with them knowing that they'd be into the same sort of music as me. Now, when someone from the Midlands says they're going to Gatecrasher, I don't take it too seriously because I know as soon as I mention the word 'Trance', they'll say "What's that? Ooh no, I hate that sort of music - I just like the club".

Basically, they're trying to replicate the Luminar Leisure style clubs - but because Gatecrasher is a strong brand name already, they're using that to pull people in - rather than starting from scratch with a new name that nobody would recognise.

I struggle to take Gatecrasher, as a brand, seriously now - they say one thing and do another, most of their events tend to have something controversial happening now, and at the last two Gatecrasher events i've attended, there has been an atmosphere and trouble brewing (which I blame on the fact that people go out thinking its going to be a Gatecrasher Birmingham style event, but then when they see its a 'proper' dance event, they don't like the music, have a bad night, and therefore look for trouble instead). They also book an extra headliner rather than a warm-up DJ to make the line-up look really strong, and then waste one of them on warm-up duties - which is frustrating when you've paid £12 a ticket to see Menno de Jong play a normal set, and then get there to find out he's on warm-up duties.

The bigger brands have gone stale now. They've become too greedy - money takes priority over event quality now - its no wonder new nights like Digital Society are doing so well. They're fresh, have new ideas, genuinely love the scene, and wants to run events for punters to enjoy themselves - not to rake in loads of cash.

The bigger brands have gone stale now. They've become too greedy - money takes priority over event quality now

Agreed. But this is the way of the world in general!

But also people need to move on. Not stick with Gatecrasher because it was good once upon a time and then moan that it isn't!! Just move on, and vote with your feet/WALLETS!!!

I'm just glad I went there when it was at it's best, saw Jules/ Eddie/ Pvd /Fergie but mainly Jules and Matt Hardwick and Scott Bond. But now I feel I've been there done that and could never top it anyway.

But also people need to move on. Not stick with Gatecrasher because it was good once upon a time and then moan that it isn't!!

I agree! I never went to Gatecrasher in its prime, but i've been to about 8 Gatecrasher events over the last 3 years or so, and apart from Magna last April which was superb, the rest have all been quite poor - especially the Summer Sound System 2006, which after that, I vowed never to go to another Summer Sound System again - and I've stood by that.

Godskitchen is my local (20 minutes away) - but i've only been there once in the past 16 months too - mainly because their line-ups are too repetetive. The only big night I really enjoy, which in my opinion is the best in the country, is The Gallery at the Ministry of Sound. It was superb at Turnmills, and continues to be superb at the Ministry of Sound. The atmosphere is always great, the clientelle are knowledgable and friendly, and the line-ups are always spot on - DJ's always seem to be on at the right time of the night which results in a great flow.

I'm all for The Gallery and the smaller nights now - those are where I ejoy myself the most.

There is certainly something to be said for the smaller nightclub, as long as you get the right one.

We used to go to one at the end of Hastings pier, sounds like a dive and in fact it did look like one inside, but I never ever had a bad night out there. Only once they realised it was a hit and tried moving the tiny room club in the main ball room downstairs and adding a no trainers rule, upping the cost etc etc, it turned crap and in fact I don't think it ever recovered from that about 5 years ago now.

I've seen it happen time and time again over the years though, something is recognised as being good and they try and flog it to the masses and fail!!

I frequented a club in 1994 it was the best club I had ever been to in my life, no fancy lasers etc but the sound was awesome and the people that went there super friendly all having a good time, chatting in the loos to whoever came in, then suddenly they thought they could make more money and changed it all, brought in rules, dodgy secrity, asked the DJ's to play a few chart hits, lured the lager louts in and it turned to s***! Got nothing but trouble, drove the real clubbers away, had a strange death and then burnt down. So sad. But almost inevitable!

I agree! I never went to Gatecrasher in its prime, but i've been to about 8 Gatecrasher events over the last 3 years or so, and apart from Magna last April which was superb, the rest have all been quite poor - especially the Summer Sound System 2006, which after that, I vowed never to go to another Summer Sound System again - and I've stood by that.

Godskitchen is my local (20 minutes away) - but i've only been there once in the past 16 months too - mainly because their line-ups are too repetetive. The only big night I really enjoy, which in my opinion is the best in the country, is The Gallery at the Ministry of Sound. It was superb at Turnmills, and continues to be superb at the Ministry of Sound. The atmosphere is always great, the clientelle are knowledgable and friendly, and the line-ups are always spot on - DJ's always seem to be on at the right time of the night which results in a great flow.

I'm all for The Gallery and the smaller nights now - those are where I ejoy myself the most.

i suppose this is like any night thats has become greedy rather than establishing itself as a n ight it was.

it kind of reminds me of ministry of sound, that used to have really bigggg mix cds mixed by big name djs, then started going commecial and releasing crappy commercial cds.

ferry corsten vowed never to do a trance nation again after they made him mix cheese as he was under contract to them.

is the gallery night still run by tall pauls brother??

I used to love going to Crasher in it's prime, but now it is a joke. I've been numerous times in Leeds and Notts and they they now have stuf like Hed Kandi nights. Back in 99 they'd never have dreamed of being associated with Hed Kandi etc. It's sad but its what happens when greed takes over. People pour money into things like this and expect a return on it. This is when it is no longer "ours".

Archived