Tidy Boys

Menno De Jong

Marcel Woods

Dave Pearce

Andy Whitby

Cally Gage

Mark H

Big Al

Escape Into The Park has always been my favourite festival - even better than the two 'biggies' (Gatecrasher Summer Sound System and Global Gathering) - but this year, its been ruined. Trance & Hard House in the same tent. Lisa Lashes & The Tidy Boys in with Menno de Jong and Marcel Woods? What's that all about? OK, so Lashes plays a a fair bit of Trance these days, but the Tidy Boys and Andy Whitby alongside Menno? Righto :huh:

Yeah that's a real shame actually. I went 2 years ago and I must say I thought it was very good apart from the early finish. I actually like the harder styles as well but would have much preferred the 2 being seperate and having more DJs to choose from in each arena. Last time I spend most of my time in the trance tent but ventured into the polysexual tent for a couple of sets, saw some of Lisa Lashes I think and DJ SY for a bit hardcore... ahaha

Id be more worried that they put Dave Pearce in the same tent as all of them hahaha how he still pulls a crowd is beyond me

Dave Pearce and Big Al are always on at Escape Into The Park - they've got a good following down there from the Escape residencies.

Dave Pearce is better than Jules anyway. Its Jules that's the weakest out of that line-up tbh.

Godskitchen v Polysexual Arena

Judge Jules

Lisa Lashes

Tidy Boys

Menno De Jong

Marcel Woods

Dave Pearce

Andy Whitby

Cally Gage

Mark H

Big Al

Escape Into The Park has always been my favourite festival - even better than the two 'biggies' (Gatecrasher Summer Sound System and Global Gathering) - but this year, its been ruined. Trance & Hard House in the same tent. Lisa Lashes & The Tidy Boys in with Menno de Jong and Marcel Woods? What's that all about? OK, so Lashes plays a a fair bit of Trance these days, but the Tidy Boys and Andy Whitby alongside Menno? Righto :huh:

OMG BRILLIANT

The amount of times I have had to fore go seeing a top tidy DJ for Judge jules or Mauro Picotto, this way it's all in one place hang on though WTF?? Dave Pearce???? With them all in one tent where am I supposed to bloody go while that muppet is on!! :ill: There'll be no escape!!! :blackeye:

haha Dave Pearce always causes a bit of a mixed reaction. I personally will stick up for him here. I saw him at escape in the park a couple of years ago and he was actually very good. The tune selection was good and the set flowed nicely. In comparison to Jules it was a better structured set and the mixing was good as well.

I wouldn't say Jules is the weakest name on the line up however. He does have his off nights mixing wise and the order of tunes in the set can be quite random. However I still think Jules knows how to work a crowd and he'll no doubt get a good reaction anyway even if the tunes are predictable and not mixed esecially well. Some of the other DJs on that line up will probably play much more bland sets which focus on a very specific type of music. It's good that Jules' tune selection is diverse enough to cater for lots of tastes.

In any case Jules is likely to be on good form at this festival since it finishes at 11pm or something (or did when I went) so it's highly likely to be the first gig of the night... hence not too much alcohol comsumption by the time he plays. This generally makes for good mixing, less CDJ tomfoolery and better set structure. Should be a good one.

haha Dave Pearce always causes a bit of a mixed reaction. I personally will stick up for him here. I saw him at escape in the park a couple of years ago and he was actually very good. The tune selection was good and the set flowed nicely. In comparison to Jules it was a better structured set and the mixing was good as well.

Yeah, Dave has been better than Dave for the last 3 years imo. OK, his mixing isn't always the best - but when it comes to set structure, and quality of tunes, he's far better than Jules.

Dave Pearce's taste in Trance has matured quite a bit over the last few years - he's playing credible stuff from people like Aly & Fila, John O'Callaghan, Signum, etc - whereas Jules has over-abused bootlegs and dodgy accapellas.

Yeah, Dave has been better than Dave for the last 3 years imo. OK, his mixing isn't always the best - but when it comes to set structure, and quality of tunes, he's far better than Jules.

Dave Pearce's taste in Trance has matured quite a bit over the last few years - he's playing credible stuff from people like Aly & Fila, John O'Callaghan, Signum, etc - whereas Jules has over-abused bootlegs and dodgy accapellas.

to b honest id agreee.......i like dave pearces style of trance. he plays upbeat uplifting stuff.

jules has gone verryyy low key tech trancy and it doesnt seem to be working as much anymore for him, his sets seem to be a little weak cos of this style, there not as upbeat, more mellow and boring a bit.

he used 2 play around 140bpm, your lucky if he plays anything more than 135bpm now.

he used 2 play around 140bpm, your lucky if he plays anything more than 135bpm now.

I think this is a general observation with all trance DJs, virtually everyone seems to be slowing themselves down (with the odd exception). I've no idea why it's happened but it's probably linked to the influx of prog into virtually every peak time trance DJs playlists.

I doubt Jules is quite down at 135 but he certainly has slowed things down the past few years.

I think this is a general observation with all trance DJs, virtually everyone seems to be slowing themselves down (with the odd exception). I've no idea why it's happened but it's probably linked to the influx of prog into virtually every peak time trance DJs playlists.

I doubt Jules is quite down at 135 but he certainly has slowed things down the past few years.

he has gone down to 135 as quoted in this months online diary

" The party was sold out to 5000+ capacity, and I played in between Ferry Corsten and Mark Sherry, with other sets on the night from Lange and Roger Shah. At the beginning of their performance, each dj emerged from a giant heart, and every aspect of the event was carefully Valentines themed. I found myself playing quite fast. After my set, Lange commented that my tunes had been hard, however it was more a case of speeding up from my normal 135ish bpm to something hovering around 140, which is fast and furious. "

I'll stop whinging about him when you stop talking like he's fantastic.

You're a better DJ than Dave, so why should he get all the greatness.

These DJ 's are also better, talk about them.

Lisa Lashes, Tidy Boys, Marcel, Cally and Juice, Menno and the infamous MARK EG!!! Who I feel is like Jules, but slightly speeded up! lol

I'll stop whinging about him when you stop talking like he's fantastic.

i said he plays good uplifting trance music thats decent and upbeat

hes got where hes got to prob because of hard work and luck.......and technically he might be a s*** DJ but the music he plays most of it aint bad.

What shall I do now, I can either say what I think and be accused of whinging about Dave or not say anything...erm...I'll not say anything. I really can't be bothered.

lol.

i just say what i think really.........if hes that bad but u really qanna go the event, go the event, and when u know his set time, go in 1 of the other arenas.....or actually stay there, listen2 1 of the sets by him, and maybe hear the music and go yehhh that actually isnt bad music to b honest.

everyone has fans and haters , even jules, people in the public eye cannot please everybody and never will do.

but if u dont like him thats fair enough nobody is making u wanna like dave pearce, but some might like the music he plays anf if so respect it lol.

if that sounds a dis-respectful or patronising reply it aint meant 2 b.

he has gone down to 135 as quoted in this months online diary

Fair enough, I'm surprised he has gone down to that slow mind, I used to regularly play prog at the beginning of a more trancey set at 135 without too much pitching required, guess it's just (as I previously stated) a product of tracks being produced at a slower bpm in general.

For the record I side with Number 2 Fan on the Dave Pearce argument (but I don't want to get drawn into it too much) ;)

Fair enough, I'm surprised he has gone down to that slow mind, I used to regularly play prog at the beginning of a more trancey set at 135 without too much pitching required, guess it's just (as I previously stated) a product of tracks being produced at a slower bpm in general.

For the record I side with Number 2 Fan on the Dave Pearce argument (but I don't want to get drawn into it too much) ;)

i think its the slower side of tech trance and prog he plays, he also says he plays more groovy stuff in smaller venues.....

i do and dont agree.......i like the music he plays, but yes technically he is a s*** dj....are there are prob alot of us on here who are better

i think its the slower side of tech trance and prog he plays, he also says he plays more groovy stuff in smaller venues.....

i do and dont agree.......i like the music he plays, but yes technically he is a s*** dj....are there are prob alot of us on here who are better

I am a big Jules fan but if I wanted to DJ and make a career at it I doubt I'd get anywhere on similar technical skills.

I am a big Jules fan but if I wanted to DJ and make a career at it I doubt I'd get anywhere on similar technical skills.

the bottom line of that quote was aimed at dave pearce as opposed 2 jules bud

We're not saying he's great - far from it - we all know he's no Sasha behind the decks. His mixing can be pretty shoddy at times - although he's also not often as bad as people make out.

When it comes to tastes in music though, Daves taste has matured so much over the last few years - he's very capable of playing a lot of very good, credible tunes now.

Fair enough if you don't like Dave Pearce - we all have our tastes, but I don't get how he can be constantly criticised when you still think Jules is good.

Of all the DJ's i've liked over the years, Jules will always be my all-time favourite - the guy is a legend - but these days, his sets are all over the place with no flow. His sets are also full of bootlegs that, in all fairness, shouldn't even be touched by someone playing in their bedroom. A lot of them are absolutely shocking - a lot of them are poorly produced, and a lot of them are just 'novelty bootlegs' - they contain loads of samples from well-known Indie tunes. Not only that, but Jules drinks too much during his sets and puts in poor performances simply because, to get to the point, he's p***ed! Sure, everyone is entitled to a drink - but there's a difference between having a social drink to enjoy, and getting too p***ed - and its just not on when people are parting with their hard-earned cash to see him play. There are DJ's such as Tom Bailey playing out of their skin time-and-time again putting in better performances than Jules, yet can't get the big break playing week-in, week-out, yet Jules is just turning up, randomly throwing sets together because he's had one-too-many, mixing tunes that often clash because they don't go together very well, and he's getting paid thousands for it. Personally, if it was me, i'd be too embarrassed and would hand the money back to the promotor to refund the fans. There was even one Radio 1 broadcast that he did either early last year or the end of the year before from Goodgreef where his speech was blatantly slurred from too much drink. Its very unprofessional - especially as a Radio 1 broadcast!

So at the moment, i'd rather listen to a few seconds of trainwrecks from Dave Pearce rather than dodgy bootlegs plastered throughout a set. At least Dave is playing decent tunes, putting a set together with a decent flow, and trying hard to win over the haters. Jules is carrying on regardless. Jules has been on here before asking our opinions - and one of the things a lot of us raised was the amount of bootlegs he played - and Jules's response was that he was going to continue with the bootlegs. If we're his fans and we're not happy, then how must the 'neutral' clubber feel - yet Jules has ignored those concerns. Its no wonder he's been slipping down the DJ Mag rankings for the last few years.

Going back a few years ago, Jules's mixing was his best asset - he did mixes that were really long - and each tune complimented the previous perfectly. He also had a distinct style. Oh how things have changed. Now, his mixes are short and come across as lazy, and his tunes are all over the place - it sounds like, a lot of the time, he's just pulling tunes out at random and just mixing together - whether they're suited or not. Jules also doesn't seem to have a style any more. It'd be great to see the old Jules back one day - but to be honest, I think the hunger has gone now.

Jules is surviving on his Radio 1 career. If he were to leave Radio 1, or be sacked for any reason, i'd give it 2 years before he drops out of the DJ Mag top 100. Its clear from other forums that the average clubber has lost confidence in Jules now.

Archived