Trance Nation (ministry of sound mixed by Ferry Corsten)

Tremor

Im sure this must have been discussed before but what an album this was. Just look at the tunes on here.

I had to drive from London to Manchester today for work and took this with me as I hadn't heard it in ages... was reminded of some great stuff like way out west - the gift!, amethyst - andalucia, breeder - twilo thunder, airwave - venus of my dreams... i need to get Discogging those ones... haha.

Disc: 1

1. Children - Miles, Robert

2. Out Of The Blue - System F

3. Protect Your Mind (For The Love Of A Princess) - DJ Sakin & Friends

4. Storm - Storm (4)

5. Dark And Long - Underworld (1)

6. Age Of Love - Age Of Love

7. Can't Help Myself - Lucid

8. Pearl River - Johnny Shaker

9. Revelation - Electrique Boutique

10. Your Face - Slacker

11. Believe - Traveller & In Motion

12. Invisible - Tilt (2)

13. Endless Wave - Kamaya Painters

14. Neuro - X-Cabs

15. Andalucia Sunset - Amethyst

16. Sunflakes - 2HD

17. Cream - Blank & Jones

18. Happiness Happening - Lost Witness

Disc: 2

1. Wide Open Space - Mansun

2. Offshore - Chicane (2)

3. Salva Mea - Faithless

4. Cafe Del Mar - Energy 52

5. For An Angel - Van Dyk, Paul

6. Seven Days And One Week - BBE

7. Loving You More - BT

8. Gift - Way Out West (1)

9. Be As One - Sasha & Maria

10. Madagascar - Art Of Trance

11. Don't Be Afraid - Moonman

12. Twilo Thunder - Breeder (1)

13. 9pm (Till I Come) - ATB

14. Bulgarian - Travel

15. World - Pulp Victim

16. Venus Of My Dreams - Airwave (1)

17. Wide Eyed Angel - Origin (1)

18. Papua New Guinea - Future Sound Of London

Cracking album, to be fair most of the CDs mixed by Ferry for this series were excellent (until they started messing with the tracklistings). The end to CD1 in particular is amazing

I still regard this as the best dance CD in my collection. Its the one which got me into Trance - and then Ferry Corsten in particular, before the 'big riff' sound died around late 2000 - and then I got more into Jules's style.

If they still made melodic Trance now as good as back then, there's no doubt i'd still be playing nothing but 100% 'proper' Trance. Tunes like Out Of The Blue, Happiness Happening, Salva Mea, etc will never be beaten. Every Trance tune was different back then, whereas now, most melodic stuff is quite generic and follows the same pattern - 128 beat intro, mini-breakdown, build up, breakdown, outro.

I didnt buy any of the trance nations nor have I heard any of them all the way through, might pick em up dirt cheap at boot sales now.

Its one of thes that I dont see what the fuss is all about, I picked up gatecrasher red for 25p at a boot sale and Ive heard much better mixing and track slection and flow, its got to be one of the worts comps I've vereheard! I never bought any of the GC comps on cd eitehr I bought the triple vinyls although missed the Red one.

The again ive never bought that many mix comps or albums really...

The Ibiza Euphoria mixed by Matt Darey (the one with the orange cover released in summer 1999) is one of my personal faves. I remember it being the first full on trance mix cd i ever bought. It still sounds amazing to this day.

As for the ministry Ferry mixed comps, i thought volume three was easily the strongest. I remember it had the Plasma mix of Amber "Sexual" on it, that is still an immense tune. I totally played my copy out of that.

After Trance Nation two the series began to decline, CD1 would always feature the big hits & was blatantly dictated to Ferry but CD2 of TN3 & TN4 were both awesome. The second CD from TN4 is magnificent.

The last one I listened to was Trance Nation 2000 (I think), again CD1 was p*** poor but CD2 was excellent & featured some really classy proggy trance tracks

I guess for all of us there will be a favourite CD from the past but I only really tended to buy the ministry ones so cant comment on the others.

My favourite compilation ever would be the Clubber's Guide to '99 but this first Trance Nation is probably my second purely because it introduced me to Trance really... this CD along with Jules' radio shows. So it just has a lot of sentimental value to me and Ferry Corsten was man of the moment back then let's be honest.

i always thought Clubbers guide to 2000 was the best, and possibly Jules finest moment on CD. The tracklist is superb, it's superbly mixed and some very nice artwork. Everything combined and just...worked. Looking at the tracklisting, there isnt any obvious choices on it (especially at the time), also Jules came of the back of winning all his Dj-type awards, so i think he had a lot of control as to what he put on the CD's.

Nah gotta be '99 for me, but I do remember being very excited and rushing out to buy 2000 when it came out!

That first Tranceformer album was good though and I loved my Gatecrasher RED album!

I nearly didn't buy that clubbers guide to '99, I looked at the tracklisting when I was in 'OUR PRICE' saw M-people on it and put it back. Soon went back and got it after my friend played hers on the drive to Heaven one night!! I'm like, Christ how good is this CD? What is it?? Got it next day. :) It gets regularly played still!! Looking a bit bruised actually, might have to buy a fresh copy, to keep nice!

I nearly didn't buy that clubbers guide to '99, I looked at the tracklisting when I was in 'OUR PRICE' saw M-people on it and put it back. Soon went back and got it after my friend played hers on the drive to Heaven one night!! I'm like, Christ how good is this CD? What is it?? Got it next day. :) It gets regularly played still!! Looking a bit bruised actually, might have to buy a fresh copy, to keep nice!

I must admit I hesitated before buying this as I didn't know anything on it before buying - I was very new to listening to Jules so didn't know the tunes by name and artist. I'd also bought the clubber's guide to Ibiza (original 98 one mixed by tong and jules) which was good but no where near as good as 99... needless to say I was very pleased with the results. I also took this with me on my drive to manchester... certainly made the journey more bearable.

Archived