Difference in pricing between mp3 shops (includes example)

Simcut

Hey all

I've just been having a look through and doing some mp3 shopping and am baffled by the differences in pricing between mp3 shops, winds me up immensly, check the below out.

I added a total of 15 tracks into a basket on Audiojelly, Beatport, DJDownload, and Trackitdown and look at the total prices:-

Audiojelly - £21.75

Beatport - £18.96 + 15% tax = £21.80

DJDownload - £17.55

Trackitdown - £22.35

Also bear in mind that all of the tracks added into the baskets on each site are ALL 320kbps in quality, and are the same releases on same labels etc.

Is it just me being anal or are the differences unacceptable? In this day and age (recession etc) every penny & pound matters at the moment, so a difference of £4.80 between 2 shops for the same mp3's is pretty ridiculous if you ask me! I don't know how some shops can justify the big differences in pricing for the same tracks in the same quality on all (320kbps).

Here's a spreadsheet of the prices per track:-

digitaldownloadproject.th.jpg

Just goes to show all of you DJ's and digital download purchasers out there that you MUST shop around first before just using your 'favourite' mp3 store and being ripped off.

Hope this was interesting reading for you!

Regards

Sim

I used to use Juno a lot, but now it's dj download as most stuffs £1.10 and they don't charge extra for taking payment by paypal, small annoyances certain tracks take a while or don't appear on there at all example We Are Made Of Love full release, for tracks like these I use Juno or 7digital as most of their stuffs 99p! (that's where I bought Made Of Love from).

If every site adopted the Needle Drop Player then theyd get more general custom.

Beatports just silly, damn tax per track a bloodey rip off, mostly I wait the month, sod exclusivity!

DJDownload is also my favourite - their player kicks ass, their prices are the best, and their site is fairly easy to navigate around.

Trackitdown is probably the one I use most though because they seem to be the best for the harder/techier side of Trance - which is pretty much all I play these days.

Beatport used to be half decent - but their new website was a step backwards - its slow, heavy and horrible to use - and that tax is a rip-off too.

DJDownload is my favourite but I usually try & browse. I love DJDownload's policy of rewrading regular customers with the 'download tokens', a nice freebie now & then. I've lost faith in AudioJelly as they seem to sneakily up their prices from time to time & have no real uniform rate. CDJShop is occasionally excellent & they do offer the points system which gets you a free track now & then.

Beatport is still a magnificent site, their tax isn't that bad anymore after they dropped their base prices (meaning we pay the same as before), they also offer that many exclusives & content that it's almost an impossibility for me to not use it.

7digital have started charging £2.29 on some remixes e.g. Thin White Duke Remix of Depeche Mode-Wrong, and Gui Boratto Remix of Pet Shop Boys-Love etc. f*** paying that I'd rather not buy it at all, especially when the others versions are 99p! I reckon its EMI being greedy.

i find myself always going to audiojelly first as their primary style seems to be what I play. Usually I find alot of the stuff I want just on the home page. I must admit though there are alot of £2.39 releases which is far more than on djdownload which I used to use loads more. I tend to assume djdownload to be better for house DJ's... but I must admit I dont look on there enough for my trance downloads.

All this said though I still remember paying from £6 to £10 for a vinyl single and for me I was buying vinyl when at school so had no income. My move to mp3 buying happened at Uni allowing me to afford to buy tunes again. Since getting a full time job though I really dont find it a problem now to afford mp3's and see them as a massive saving on vinyl. I guess I've always spent alot of money on music and the fact its got cheaper as my income has increased has made it less of a worry to me to really compare prices accross all the sites... it can be rather time consuming after all.

Interesting though simon... thanks for sharing your findings.

Archived